View Full Version : The Key to Eraserhead

Jon Fairhurst
March 17th, 2017, 04:24 PM
Okay, it's not a film. It's a graphic novel. And it's about a film. Well, probably the greatest cult film ever.

Sunday, March 19th, 2017 is Eraserhead's 40th anniversary. That's the publication date for the book.

Here's the deal: For 40 years nobody has figured it out. Yeah, people have vague answers, like "it's about fear" or "it's about sex", but that's like explaining The Matrix by saying "it's about machines."

A couple of years ago, I read some classic literature that aligns amazingly well with the film. I found over 70 lines that correspond to those little (not so) random, absurd moments. The characters line up. The overall story lines up.

Instead of writing some long-winded academic paper, I drew a graphic novel. That let me present a moment from the film, focus on the important point, and simply overlay the text from the "mystery" text. I don't explain the punchline. I let the reader figure out the connections. I tell a story around it and explain my personal interpretation of what it all means.

If you're into David Lynch's films, check it out at my website: https://key2eraserhead.com For those screenwriters here, this might give some insight into how Lynch finds his inspirations.

One thing for sure, given a solo film crew, it's easier to tell a story with a graphic novel than with a camera. ;)

Chris Hurd
March 17th, 2017, 05:35 PM
Looking forward to it -- thanks Jon! See you at NAB?

Jon Fairhurst
March 19th, 2017, 11:24 PM
I published it yesterday without a hitch. Woo hoo!

And yes, I'll be at NAB for the duration. I can hardly wait!