The Key to Eraserhead at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old March 17th, 2017, 04:24 PM   #1
Inner Circle

The Key to Eraserhead

Okay, it's not a film. It's a graphic novel. And it's about a film. Well, probably the greatest cult film ever.

Sunday, March 19th, 2017 is Eraserhead's 40th anniversary. That's the publication date for the book.

Here's the deal: For 40 years nobody has figured it out. Yeah, people have vague answers, like "it's about fear" or "it's about sex", but that's like explaining The Matrix by saying "it's about machines."

A couple of years ago, I read some classic literature that aligns amazingly well with the film. I found over 70 lines that correspond to those little (not so) random, absurd moments. The characters line up. The overall story lines up.

Instead of writing some long-winded academic paper, I drew a graphic novel. That let me present a moment from the film, focus on the important point, and simply overlay the text from the "mystery" text. I don't explain the punchline. I let the reader figure out the connections. I tell a story around it and explain my personal interpretation of what it all means.

If you're into David Lynch's films, check it out at my website: https://key2eraserhead.com For those screenwriters here, this might give some insight into how Lynch finds his inspirations.

One thing for sure, given a solo film crew, it's easier to tell a story with a graphic novel than with a camera. ;)
Old March 17th, 2017, 05:35 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: The Key to Eraserhead

Looking forward to it -- thanks Jon! See you at NAB?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2017, 11:24 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: The Key to Eraserhead

I published it yesterday without a hitch. Woo hoo!

And yes, I'll be at NAB for the duration. I can hardly wait!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work