View Full Version : Aputure t888 (tri8)

Barry Hunt
April 16th, 2017, 06:57 AM
Hi there,
just wondering what happened to this product... it was meant to be released back in Jan I think but I can't see any availability...anybody know the state of play on these as was really looking to upgrade from the 672's
Thanks
Barry

Dan Brockett
April 16th, 2017, 09:04 AM
Aputure has ben curiously quiet about the Tri8, this light was originally going to ship in January of this year I believe? Must have ran into a design flaw, supplier shortage of a crucial component, etc.? I hope they come out with it. I have three of the LS 1S and they are great lights for the money. A smaller, lighter and cheaper version would be a good seller. 672s work great but are incredibly fragile.

Craig Seeman
April 19th, 2017, 11:17 PM
I think they're saying May. My guess we'll know for sure in a few days at NAB because the should have a working production model. I believe the LS-Mini20 will be the end of this month.

Duncan Craig
April 24th, 2017, 03:33 AM
All the new Aputure NAB 2017 products are shown here:

https://youtu.be/5Z1W_aJCEbc

Craig Seeman
April 24th, 2017, 06:13 PM
I like the build on the tri8. certainly a lot more road durable (and brighter) than the 672.
I also like the mini20. Looks like a good hair light, kicker, background light.

Dan Brockett
April 25th, 2017, 07:44 AM
I like the build on the tri8. certainly a lot more road durable (and brighter) than the 672.
I also like the mini20. Looks like a good hair light, kicker, background light.

Tri 8 looks good but no barn doors make it of limited usefulness to me.

Craig Seeman
April 25th, 2017, 08:52 PM
There's Aputure's EZ Soft softbox and grid as well as D-Fuse.
Not sure what barn doors offer on a panel other than hanging diffusion or gels.They're not really good for light shaping. For that, there's the new Mini20

Craig Seeman
April 25th, 2017, 08:53 PM
Aputure Has Made a Light That is Virtually Indestructible - YouTube

Dan Brockett
April 26th, 2017, 07:17 AM
There's Aputure's EZ Soft softbox and grid as well as D-Fuse.
Not sure what barn doors offer on a panel other than hanging diffusion or gels.They're not really good for light shaping. For that, there's the new Mini20

I own three of the Aputure LS 1S. I typically deploy one from a low stand or Apple box through a 42" diffusion disc as a fill source for interviews and narrative scenes. The barn doors are used more for flagging off the edges of the light so as to not spill over the edges of the diffusion disc than for shaping with slashes and cuts. Barndoors are very important for my work with LED panels.

The Tri8 would actually be better for this as it is smaller and lighter and I only use the LS 1S typically at about 40% output here. But no barn doors means light leaks all over the place and no way to control spill. Same for when using it as a hair/rim source. Lights without means of control means more C-stands, flags, cutters, dots and fingers, not desirable for many.

Craig Seeman
April 26th, 2017, 01:00 PM
The EZ Box cuts the leak. You don't have to use the diffuser or Grid. You can certainly clip gels or whatever on to the box as needed. True it's "fixed" but it's purpose is to stop the light leak.

Dan Brockett
April 27th, 2017, 08:30 AM
Seems like that would work but would be a PITA to build, put on and take off, one more thing to store in a separate bag. Attached barndoors are a heck of lot quicker to deploy and put away. I have some cheap Chinese softboxes that came with my LS 1S that look similar to these, they have been used exactly once before I figured out how to rig up my LS 1S with my Chimeras.

I may try a Tri8, not sure at this point, it would be good to have some hands on time with one to determine output and ease of use. Love the Aputure remotes, they are handy so that kind of keeps me looking at Aputure lights. When I use my Brightcast panels recently, I really miss the wireless remote capability.

Barry Hunt
May 14th, 2017, 07:11 AM
Looking again at these the one thing that puts me off is the handles at the back of them. I liked the portability of the 672 and the slim fit helped me throw a couple into my bag without a second thought. I think the handles won't be of much use to me and there are not removable which to me is a bit of a downer when it comes to this light. I could always saw them off but I don't like buying gear and hacking it to pieces.
Pity.

Oren Arieli
May 14th, 2017, 12:33 PM
Ted Sim of Aputure is very active on their FB forum. If you have questions and suggestions, that is the place to hear from him (and product users) directly. Thankfully, Ted has been very responsive to questions and suggestions. Good for Aputure and good for us.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/AputureUsers/

Barry Hunt
May 14th, 2017, 01:32 PM
It has been mentioned over there and I contacted Apurture myself but as far as I can see they are not removeable

Patrick Baldwin
May 14th, 2017, 03:43 PM
Seems like that would work but would be a PITA to build, put on and take off, one more thing to store in a separate bag. Attached barndoors are a heck of lot quicker to deploy and put away. I have some cheap Chinese softboxes that came with my LS 1S that look similar to these, they have been used exactly once before I figured out how to rig up my LS 1S with my Chimeras.

I may try a Tri8, not sure at this point, it would be good to have some hands on time with one to determine output and ease of use. Love the Aputure remotes, they are handy so that kind of keeps me looking at Aputure lights. When I use my Brightcast panels recently, I really miss the wireless remote capability.

I bought one of those softboxes. It would be impossible to underestimate what a PITA they are to build. Make sure you are in a different room to your client when you build it. Avoid!!!

Craig Seeman
May 25th, 2017, 09:28 AM
Tri8 unboxing. Basic overview of features

https://youtu.be/f7T8O2R7-3k

Craig Seeman
May 25th, 2017, 09:31 AM
Pre order on Aputure's site. Price is $498. There's a 3 light kit for $1398 which seems to be two spots and a bi-color. Note the very wide color temperature range on that. The lights include in the EZ Soft box but apparently without the grid.

https://store.aputure.com/products/tri-8?variant=43405162453

Barry Hunt
May 26th, 2017, 04:20 PM
Had a look at the video - think I'll pass on this one...too bulky imo

Dan Brockett
May 26th, 2017, 11:24 PM
Had a look at the video - think I'll pass on this one...too bulky imo

Me too. Handles stick out too much and are not removable. No barn doors, not as inexpensive as I had hoped, you can buy the LS 1S that has a lot more output and barn doors for not that much more.

Craig Seeman
May 27th, 2017, 07:07 AM
On the other hand I like it because:

It's smaller than the LS1.Important because I shoot in small locations. And likely will be easier for me to pack

Has the power options directly on the back of the camera. Also important because I shoot in small locations and don't want power dangling on the floor. Can use Sony NPF batteries

Has no barn doors. I don't wan't them on panel style LEDs.

Has handles. Easy to move and even have an assistant hold when that's more appropriate than a light stand.

Dan Brockett
May 27th, 2017, 02:28 PM
On the other hand I like it because:

It's smaller than the LS1.Important because I shoot in small locations. And likely will be easier for me to pack

Has the power options directly on the back of the camera. Also important because I shoot in small locations and don't want power dangling on the floor. Can use Sony NPF batteries

Has no barn doors. I don't wan't them on panel style LEDs.

Has handles. Easy to move and even have an assistant hold when that's more appropriate than a light stand.

Different strokes. You like it for every reason I dislike it. Enjoy! Give us a user review once you shoot a few jobs with it. For the money, I am having a blast with my Kamerar Brightcasts. $200.00 cheaper, bi-color, they are doing great with batteries, plus zillions of more mounting options, lighter too to carry around the city. Probably not as high output as the Tri8 but much more flexible to deploy. I like SMDs better than 5mm bulbs which are older technology. Not nearly the issue with micro shadows, the don't seem to have them or if they are there, they are not nearly as noticeable.

Craig Seeman
May 28th, 2017, 07:48 AM
Amaran Trii8c at 1M - 604fc 6500lux
Kramer Brightcast at 1M at daylight - 112fc 1210lux

I do like the Kramer Brightcasts and have considered it but they really serve somewhat different purposes. I may buy them if I see the need but I don't consider this an either/or comparison for my use though.

Dan Brockett
May 28th, 2017, 10:31 AM
Amaran Trii8c at 1M - 604fc 6500lux
Kramer Brightcast at 1M at daylight - 112fc 1210lux

I do like the Kramer Brightcasts and have considered it but they really serve somewhat different purposes. I may buy them if I see the need but I don't consider this an either/or comparison for my use though.

Wow, not a small difference in specs, a huge difference. Never hurts to have more power but I will say that I have been shooting a doc in low light bars and restaurants and the Brightcasts have had more than enough horsepower for that application, but I have the LS 1S and know that more horsepower can often be better. For me, it's output versus weight. My two LS 1S with all of the power supplies, cords, etc. are fairly hefty to carry over my shoulder whereas the two Brightcasts, even with the BPU90s, are pretty easy to put over your shoulder.

I am curious how long the Tri8 will run on those two Sony batteries? I am using Ikan BPu-90 batteries to run the Brightcasts and I am getting between 1 and 2 hours of run time with those batteries, depending on how high I have the Brighcasts turned up. With the Tri8's Sony NPF batteries being the lower voltage, I can see why they need two of them. With so much output, I wonder how long they can run on a pair? Post your results once you get the Tri8.