Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old April 16th, 2017, 06:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Aputure t888 (tri8)

Hi there,
just wondering what happened to this product... it was meant to be released back in Jan I think but I can't see any availability...anybody know the state of play on these as was really looking to upgrade from the 672's
Thanks
Barry
Barry Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2017, 09:04 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Aputure t888 (tri8)

Aputure has ben curiously quiet about the Tri8, this light was originally going to ship in January of this year I believe? Must have ran into a design flaw, supplier shortage of a crucial component, etc.? I hope they come out with it. I have three of the LS 1S and they are great lights for the money. A smaller, lighter and cheaper version would be a good seller. 672s work great but are incredibly fragile.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2017, 11:17 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I think they're saying May. My guess we'll know for sure in a few days at NAB because the should have a working production model. I believe the LS-Mini20 will be the end of this month.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2017, 03:33 AM   #4
Major Player

All the new Aputure NAB 2017 products are shown here:

Old April 24th, 2017, 06:13 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I like the build on the tri8. certainly a lot more road durable (and brighter) than the 672.
I also like the mini20. Looks like a good hair light, kicker, background light.
Old April 25th, 2017, 07:44 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
I like the build on the tri8. certainly a lot more road durable (and brighter) than the 672.
I also like the mini20. Looks like a good hair light, kicker, background light.
Tri 8 looks good but no barn doors make it of limited usefulness to me.
Old April 25th, 2017, 08:52 PM   #7
Inner Circle

There's Aputure's EZ Soft softbox and grid as well as D-Fuse.
Not sure what barn doors offer on a panel other than hanging diffusion or gels.They're not really good for light shaping. For that, there's the new Mini20
Old April 25th, 2017, 08:53 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Old April 26th, 2017, 07:17 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
There's Aputure's EZ Soft softbox and grid as well as D-Fuse.
Not sure what barn doors offer on a panel other than hanging diffusion or gels.They're not really good for light shaping. For that, there's the new Mini20
I own three of the Aputure LS 1S. I typically deploy one from a low stand or Apple box through a 42" diffusion disc as a fill source for interviews and narrative scenes. The barn doors are used more for flagging off the edges of the light so as to not spill over the edges of the diffusion disc than for shaping with slashes and cuts. Barndoors are very important for my work with LED panels.

The Tri8 would actually be better for this as it is smaller and lighter and I only use the LS 1S typically at about 40% output here. But no barn doors means light leaks all over the place and no way to control spill. Same for when using it as a hair/rim source. Lights without means of control means more C-stands, flags, cutters, dots and fingers, not desirable for many.
Old April 26th, 2017, 01:00 PM   #10
Inner Circle

The EZ Box cuts the leak. You don't have to use the diffuser or Grid. You can certainly clip gels or whatever on to the box as needed. True it's "fixed" but it's purpose is to stop the light leak.
Attached Thumbnails
Aputure t888 (tri8)-1454868165000_img_584044.jpg   Aputure t888 (tri8)-1454868165000_img_584043.jpg  

Old April 27th, 2017, 08:30 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Seems like that would work but would be a PITA to build, put on and take off, one more thing to store in a separate bag. Attached barndoors are a heck of lot quicker to deploy and put away. I have some cheap Chinese softboxes that came with my LS 1S that look similar to these, they have been used exactly once before I figured out how to rig up my LS 1S with my Chimeras.

I may try a Tri8, not sure at this point, it would be good to have some hands on time with one to determine output and ease of use. Love the Aputure remotes, they are handy so that kind of keeps me looking at Aputure lights. When I use my Brightcast panels recently, I really miss the wireless remote capability.
Old May 14th, 2017, 07:11 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Looking again at these the one thing that puts me off is the handles at the back of them. I liked the portability of the 672 and the slim fit helped me throw a couple into my bag without a second thought. I think the handles won't be of much use to me and there are not removable which to me is a bit of a downer when it comes to this light. I could always saw them off but I don't like buying gear and hacking it to pieces.
Pity.
Old May 14th, 2017, 12:33 PM   #13
Major Player

Ted Sim of Aputure is very active on their FB forum. If you have questions and suggestions, that is the place to hear from him (and product users) directly. Thankfully, Ted has been very responsive to questions and suggestions. Good for Aputure and good for us.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/AputureUsers/
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2017, 01:32 PM   #14
Regular Crew

It has been mentioned over there and I contacted Apurture myself but as far as I can see they are not removeable
Old May 14th, 2017, 03:43 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
Seems like that would work but would be a PITA to build, put on and take off, one more thing to store in a separate bag. Attached barndoors are a heck of lot quicker to deploy and put away. I have some cheap Chinese softboxes that came with my LS 1S that look similar to these, they have been used exactly once before I figured out how to rig up my LS 1S with my Chimeras.

I may try a Tri8, not sure at this point, it would be good to have some hands on time with one to determine output and ease of use. Love the Aputure remotes, they are handy so that kind of keeps me looking at Aputure lights. When I use my Brightcast panels recently, I really miss the wireless remote capability.
I bought one of those softboxes. It would be impossible to underestimate what a PITA they are to build. Make sure you are in a different room to your client when you build it. Avoid!!!
Patrick Baldwin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management