View Full Version : Best Light for wedding reception/speeches

Hakob Hakobyan
July 11th, 2017, 07:38 AM
Dear forum members,

What kind of lights would you recommend for lighting wedding receptions/speeches/1sd dance etc…

I do have one of those relatively small LED lights that can be attached directly on camera or on a light stand and it is ok but I find it lacks overall power output and also I find annoying that I can't control its flood (no barn doors), so it is pretty much spill light everywhere.
I also hae one very big LED GO light but don't use it during wedding as it's footprint is too big and blocks the view of guests.

So, basically I am looking for a light that has
1) Good power output (more than those small on camera LED lights)
2) Is safe to use around people (would not heat up, hence probably an LED light)
3) Has small footrpint (doesn't block peoples view os say speeches)
4) My budget is flexible given I find a light that fits all these bills.

Does such a light that fits all these criteria even exist?
Maybe I missed another important criteria?
Any help greatly appreciated!

Rickey Brillantes
July 11th, 2017, 12:22 PM
I have done a couple of wedding and my advice to you might differ from others, but here's what I have. I use a LED light mounted on top of my camera, I shoot 2 camera during reception and both of them have LEDs. Mine has both the Sony L batteries that last up to 5-6 hours. I prefer this kind of method since I don't have to worry if somebody trips on the light stand.

Wedding Videography Ontario California - iClickFilms (http://iclickfilms.com)

Noa Put
July 11th, 2017, 01:01 PM
This one is a high out put quality led light with remote control over power and light intensity.
https://youtu.be/ej-0JmVvVVo

Oren Arieli
July 11th, 2017, 01:03 PM
Look at off-camera LED fresnels. The Dedo LED, Practilite 602,and the Boltzen 55w LED. All are battery operable, but you'll probably need to invest in some bigger batteries or external power packs if you're running these at full power for more than 1 hour. Try to get one with remote/wi-fi control, as once you raise it up, it's difficult to make any adjustments.
Invest in a tall light stand, and don't forget a sandbag (or at least tape down the legs). The fresnel gives you a longer 'throw' on the light, and you can cut it with barn doors if needed. They flare nicely as well, unlike panel LED's that throw a beam all over the place.

Taky Cheung
July 12th, 2017, 12:02 AM
I myself use Comer 1800 light (and I'm a reseller). The best feature of the light is the spot filter. And there is a trick to turn the light into a really narrow strong beam. But for wedding reception, I like the way it cast a stage style spot. It is still a general purpose light but not a spot light (can't control the size of spot). But I like it.

Eugen Brinzoiu
July 12th, 2017, 01:06 AM
A vote here for the Comer 1800...

Hakob Hakobyan
July 12th, 2017, 02:47 PM
What do you guys think about Dedolights LED's?
Or are they too expensive and not worth the premium?

Are they even Fresnel? As suggested, I think it would be best to get fresnel focusing light that has also wireless control ability.

Hakob Hakobyan
July 13th, 2017, 06:10 AM
Ok after some more research I cam down 2 choices.
They are both LED and bi-color which is important to me.

1) Dedolight DLED2.1 Bi-Color LED.
This ones main advantage is very small size which is important for me in weddings.

2) Kinotehnik Practilite 602 LED Fresnel.
This one to me seems better in every way except just a little bigger. Has wifi control which can be a very big advantage to control the head from distance.

Does anyone know how they compare in light power output? Can't find that spec for either light lol.

Erick Perdomo
July 13th, 2017, 12:27 PM
well..I got a FotodioX Pro LED-312DS Bi-Color LED Photo Video Light Kit from B&H to mount on the camera and I also have a couple of LEDs Aputure Amaran AL-528W with stands when needed.I was on budget and couldn't afford anything more expensive. They have worked great for a while now.
of course they are entry level prosumer LEDs...but work fine and the colour temperature is good.
E

Oren Arieli
July 14th, 2017, 11:08 AM
Erick, the problem with most panel lights is the uncontrollable spill and the relatively short throw. To get enough light at the dance floor (from a panel light), you need to crank it full, and that destroys any ambiance set by the lighting designer, venue or coordinator. It makes for a very flat looking image as well, and doesn't flare nicely (if you're going for that look). Hard lights, especially fresnels, can put more lumens at a distance while minimizing spill. That means, you can crank up the power, but not blind your guests, or destroy a candle-lit semi-dark room. Higher end weddings typically employ a light plan, so if you want to be recommended by these types of venues or coordinators, you'll have to learn to dial down the ambient. Having the remote capability is a big plus, since you'll also want these mounted as high as possible. A 2 meter lightstand won't cut the mustard, since you'll be getting a harsh light that crosses the entire room. Putting it up high and directed downwards means the person in the spotlight doesn't squint as much either.

Hakob Hakobyan
July 14th, 2017, 10:30 PM
Erick, the problem with most panel lights is the uncontrollable spill and the relatively short throw. To get enough light at the dance floor (from a panel light), you need to crank it full, and that destroys any ambiance set by the lighting designer, venue or coordinator. It makes for a very flat looking image as well, and doesn't flare nicely (if you're going for that look). Hard lights, especially fresnels, can put more lumens at a distance while minimizing spill. That means, you can crank up the power, but not blind your guests, or destroy a candle-lit semi-dark room. Higher end weddings typically employ a light plan, so if you want to be recommended by these types of venues or coordinators, you'll have to learn to dial down the ambient. Having the remote capability is a big plus, since you'll also want these mounted as high as possible. A 2 meter lightstand won't cut the mustard, since you'll be getting a harsh light that crosses the entire room. Putting it up high and directed downwards means the person in the spotlight doesn't squint as much either.

Good points Oren,

So, basically you would recommend a Fresnel Spotlight placed very high in the background aimed at the dance floor for lighting dances right?
What about speeches though?

I saw some videos where they recommend using area lights for key and spotlights for hairs light for speeches, but following your own logic of not blinding guests I see no reason not to use just a spotlight both for speaker key and also hair/kicker light.

Is there any problem using spotlight for speeches too? I know area lights might be bigger and create better highlights but having less spill is a big advantage and I am willing to sacrifice some quality of light for that...

David Barnett
July 16th, 2017, 10:02 AM
I mostly shoot solo, and don't have the ability to carry fresnels & stands in addition to what I'm already carrying, especially considering more weddings in my area are now in Center City, where I pay a hefty fee to park my car, then walk blocks to the hotel, blocks to the church, then blocks to the venue. Suddenly I'm 6 blocks away from my car so I cannot run back to pull out more gear. If it was at a country club, where my cars right outside, possibly. Secondly, the thought of a guest tripping over a lights wiring or extension cord just frightens me, so it's a no.

I had a Glide Gear on camera light. It had decent throw & came with 3 filters, clear/flourescent, amber/tungsten, and pinkish. Worked well, but recently I switched over to a Luxli Multi Color LED. So far, it's been impressive. Has an easy tuning knob to adjust brightness, and one for setting (indoor/outdoor via color temperature. However, that can be switched over to adjust into a vast array of RGB colors with nearly any mix available to choose. You can really fine tune it, the dial has I believe 360 settings to select from.

Drawback is it has an app for iOS, but not Android (yet). Supposedly they are working on it, but I bought it anyway. Benefit of the app is mostly you can take a picture, and it determines the room color for you, which I would think could be a nice asset. You can also quickly adjust color quickly by tapping a color picker/wheel. Cool, not sure it's needed as more for weddings formal events tho (toasts, 1st dance etc)

Oren Arieli
July 16th, 2017, 12:18 PM
Good points Oren,

So, basically you would recommend a Fresnel Spotlight placed very high in the background aimed at the dance floor for lighting dances right?
What about speeches though?

I saw some videos where they recommend using area lights for key and spotlights for hairs light for speeches, but following your own logic of not blinding guests I see no reason not to use just a spotlight both for speaker key and also hair/kicker light.

Is there any problem using spotlight for speeches too? I know area lights might be bigger and create better highlights but having less spill is a big advantage and I am willing to sacrifice some quality of light for that...

At weddings, I nearly always recommend fresnels for lighting, because of the issues previously mentioned. In a perfect world, you could use a 3' softbox 4 feet from your subject and get some gorgeous lighting, but weddings are not a studio event, and hard lights are the norm when a lighting company is involved. Pin spots on the cake table, the centerpieces and head table are quite common at higher end weddings. The thing they leave out is the toasts (unless you can get involved early somehow and direct them with your request). Your own fresnels will fit in with the existing spot lighting, and if you control the toast location, you can pre-light the area with key (and hairlight if time and room allows). It's a hassle, and sometimes impossible given the constraints of the room. But if you're prepared, or can incorporate an assistant, then you'll see some amazing results. Having remote-controlled lights are a big help here, as you'll often find that the coordinator wants the lights off (again, for ambience). I leave the lights at 20-40% power when the guests walk in. That way, they have no idea that they are my lights or anything unusual. When needed, boost the power and then bring them down afterwards. Everyone's happy and your results will look great.
Consider picking up a few Cardelliini (or Mathhellini) clamps. If there is an existing lighting tree, you won't even have to put up your own light stand, just clamp onto the existing structure.

Hakob Hakobyan
July 16th, 2017, 06:19 PM
At weddings, I nearly always recommend fresnels for lighting, because of the issues previously mentioned. In a perfect world, you could use a 3' softbox 4 feet from your subject and get some gorgeous lighting, but weddings are not a studio event, and hard lights are the norm when a lighting company is involved. Pin spots on the cake table, the centerpieces and head table are quite common at higher end weddings. The thing they leave out is the toasts (unless you can get involved early somehow and direct them with your request). Your own fresnels will fit in with the existing spot lighting, and if you control the toast location, you can pre-light the area with key (and hairlight if time and room allows). It's a hassle, and sometimes impossible given the constraints of the room. But if you're prepared, or can incorporate an assistant, then you'll see some amazing results. Having remote-controlled lights are a big help here, as you'll often find that the coordinator wants the lights off (again, for ambience). I leave the lights at 20-40% power when the guests walk in. That way, they have no idea that they are my lights or anything unusual. When needed, boost the power and then bring them down afterwards. Everyone's happy and your results will look great.
Consider picking up a few Cardelliini (or Mathhellini) clamps. If there is an existing lighting tree, you won't even have to put up your own light stand, just clamp onto the existing structure.

Yep makes perfect sense, thanks!
Last bit is deciding on Fresnel lights.

I have been considering Dedolights DLED 2.1 and while they are super portable I think I might skip it because they have no remote control ability...

For remote Fresnel LED's, I am torn between getting a "Kinoteknic Practilite 602" and "LEDGO LG-D600C".
Both are LED, Fresnel and have remote control. Main reason I am leaning more towards LEDGO is because I already have one of their area big panel LED lights with remote so if I get LEDGO spot both can work well together in non-wedding situations. Also LEDGO can run on Sony NP batteries with V-Mount adapter whereas Kinotechik runs on V-mount batteries which are crazy expensive!

Oren Arieli
July 16th, 2017, 07:09 PM
I've seen the Practilite 602 in action (but don't own one). I haven't seen the Ledgo yet. But you might have already read this review here: LEDGO LG-D600C bi-colour LED fresnel light - review - Newsshooter (http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/04/10/ledgo-lg-d600c/)

You'll have a trade-off with either one, so it might just come down to budget. Having a dedicated remote is great, since it's quicker to deploy (usually), and won't lose connection as easily as an app. But the Ledgo is heavier and less powerful than the 602.

Although I'm not a big fan of the wi-fi implementation (dongle+app), you have another option in the 100w Came-TV Boltzen fresnel. https://www.came-tv.com/collections/boltzen-bi-color-lights/products/1-pc-came-tv-boltzen-100w-fresnel-focusable-led-bi-color

I have the smaller 55w daylight version, and used it yesterday on a wedding. You lose some power with the CTO color correction, but it still served it's purpose for a reception light. Biggest bummer is that I couldn't use it for the toasts (packed room, no where to mount it away from the dance floor).

Hakob Hakobyan
July 16th, 2017, 09:01 PM
I've seen the Practilite 602 in action (but don't own one). I haven't seen the Ledgo yet. But you might have already read this review here: LEDGO LG-D600C bi-colour LED fresnel light - review - Newsshooter (http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/04/10/ledgo-lg-d600c/)

You'll have a trade-off with either one, so it might just come down to budget. Having a dedicated remote is great, since it's quicker to deploy (usually), and won't lose connection as easily as an app. But the Ledgo is heavier and less powerful than the 602.

Although I'm not a big fan of the wi-fi implementation (dongle+app), you have another option in the 100w Came-TV Boltzen fresnel. https://www.came-tv.com/collections/boltzen-bi-color-lights/products/1-pc-came-tv-boltzen-100w-fresnel-focusable-led-bi-color

I have the smaller 55w daylight version, and used it yesterday on a wedding. You lose some power with the CTO color correction, but it still served it's purpose for a reception light. Biggest bummer is that I couldn't use it for the toasts (packed room, no where to mount it away from the dance floor).

Well yes, according to testing LED GO is aaround 4,000 LUX weaker in Spot mode but 1,000 LUX stronger in Flood mode compared to practilite 602.
Comparable performance for the most part I would say.
The biggest thing holding me back from getting 602 are the super expensive V-Mount batteries even more so than the fact that I already have 1 LED GO light. Is there any workaround to getting V-Log batteries? Yes, I could just use wall AC but having battery option is good. Maybe I could buy those car batteries and use it as a battery haha!

Yes, LED GO is considerably heavier/bigger but will go in a corner of the room anyways most likely so weight not a big issue hopefully...

Oren Arieli
July 17th, 2017, 10:17 AM
V-mount batteries are proven workhorses, and there aren't too many compact options available that will give you as much amperage/dollar. I have portable battery packs with built in inverters, but they are expensive, and you have to account for energy loss due to power factor conversion. Thankfully, there are plenty of reasonably priced v-mount batteries available now. Much more so than when I first started using them in the early 2000's.
Like I said before, it all comes down to what shortcomings you're willing to live with.

Hakob Hakobyan
July 17th, 2017, 05:31 PM
V-mount batteries are proven workhorses, and there aren't too many compact options available that will give you as much amperage/dollar. I have portable battery packs with built in inverters, but they are expensive, and you have to account for energy loss due to power factor conversion. Thankfully, there are plenty of reasonably priced v-mount batteries available now. Much more so than when I first started using them in the early 2000's.
Like I said before, it all comes down to what shortcomings you're willing to live with.

H@@@m, thinking more and more I might just go with Kinotechnik Practilite 602 and just get a V-Mount battery. Seems like the most no-no compromise option out there.
It's a small light yet powerful.

Do you have any particular suggestions for V-Mount batteries?

Oren Arieli
July 18th, 2017, 05:09 PM
I have an older set that works fine, but there are cheaper options available. Haven't done any comparisons, so you're best off doing some research online. This is what I have: https://batteries4broadcast.com/collections/best-sellers

Hakob Hakobyan
July 19th, 2017, 08:29 AM
I have an older set that works fine, but there are cheaper options available. Haven't done any comparisons, so you're best off doing some research online. This is what I have: https://batteries4broadcast.com/collections/best-sellers

Hi Oren,
So basically I took the plung and ordered not 1 but 2 Kinotehnik Practilite 602 lights.
My only concern now is how to make them battery operated in cases I need portability.

V-Mount battery is recommended but as I have no use for V-Moutn battery other than the lights, I wonder if I could use other batteries instead that would cost me way cheaper and also potentially have way more power and last longer?

602 seems to be powered by 12-28 VDC, Power Consumption (max): 85W (90 W). Doesn't any battery that can support that be good enough to power it?
It uses 4 pin female XLR input for light, so getting a cable couldn't I connect it to any battery that can support that kind of power draw?
Batteries like these just to give 2 examples.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01GQ32IWM/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2LTP4IRWNF1QK
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B018IF3YVU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3H5DUG78CAIWF&psc=1

Thomas Young
July 19th, 2017, 01:51 PM
I have the 602 and it is a great light. You will need to power form a v-mount or D tap camera battery of 90Wh or more - preferably 160Wh or better. It draws a fair amount of power with a 90Wh operating for about 1.5 hours depending on the 602's light output you have it adjusted to. I use it for receptions and interviews.

Oren Arieli
July 20th, 2017, 09:58 AM
Hi Oren,
So basically I took the plung and ordered not 1 but 2 Kinotehnik Practilite 602 lights.
My only concern now is how to make them battery operated in cases I need portability.

V-Mount battery is recommended but as I have no use for V-Moutn battery other than the lights, I wonder if I could use other batteries instead that would cost me way cheaper and also potentially have way more power and last longer?

602 seems to be powered by 12-28 VDC, Power Consumption (max): 85W (90 W). Doesn't any battery that can support that be good enough to power it?
It uses 4 pin female XLR input for light, so getting a cable couldn't I connect it to any battery that can support that kind of power draw?
Batteries like these just to give 2 examples.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01GQ32IWM/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2LTP4IRWNF1QK
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B018IF3YVU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3H5DUG78CAIWF&psc=1

I'm not a battery guru, nor an electronics technician, but my guess is that those portable jump-starter batteries aren't meant for continuous high-amperage loads and will either overheat or cut power prematurely. The v-mounts are proven technology, very mature and made to handle extended draw. If you find better and cheaper DC solutions, let us all know.

Hakob Hakobyan
July 20th, 2017, 11:54 AM
I have the 602 and it is a great light. You will need to power form a v-mount or D tap camera battery of 90Wh or more - preferably 160Wh or better. It draws a fair amount of power with a 90Wh operating for about 1.5 hours depending on the 602's light output you have it adjusted to. I use it for receptions and interviews.

I'm not a battery guru, nor an electronics technician, but my guess is that those portable jump-starter batteries aren't meant for continuous high-amperage loads and will either overheat or cut power prematurely. The v-mounts are proven technology, very mature and made to handle extended draw. If you find better and cheaper DC solutions, let us all know.

Well there might be another way other than to use V-Mount batteries.

I could buy this V-Mount to Sony NP style adapters which will allow me to mount 2 to NP batteries together and use as V-Mount battery.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1007836-REG/genaray_sp_e_npba_spectroled_essential_np_battery.html

Each NP battery is 7.4V, so together they will add up to 15V which is enough to power the light.
However, I am not sure if it will satisfy the 90kwh of the 602 light.
Each NP battery is around 63kwh, so when I add the 2 up I am not sure if the 2 63kqw add up together for sufficient 116kwh or the adapter stays at 63kwh, in which case it don't be powerfull enough battery for the light…

Already contacted Kinotehnik asking this question and waiting their reply.

Hakob Hakobyan
July 21st, 2017, 07:29 AM
Just a quick question guys.
If I am planning to do spotlight lighting for dances/toasts during wedding with 602 LED lights, how high of light stands should I get?

I can get a 95 inch (2.4m) or 120 inch (3m) or 145 inch (3.6m).
Yes, taller is probably better but they are heavier too so trying to figure optimal size/height light stand for my purpose.

Oren Arieli
July 21st, 2017, 11:43 AM
Taller stands are better in my opinion, but weight does become an issue. I don't think I've gone much above 3 meters. Sometimes I even go shorter on purpose if I want some lens flare. That being said, the higher the light, the less squinting from the person in the light. This is most noticeable during toasts. You'll also be able to throw the shadows lower, which is handy if they're close to a wall.

Ultimately, like with the choice of lighting instruments, you have to determine which compromise to accept.

Hakob Hakobyan
July 21st, 2017, 11:53 AM
Taller stands are better in my opinion, but weight does become an issue. I don't think I've gone much above 3 meters. Sometimes I even go shorter on purpose if I want some lens flare. That being said, the higher the light, the less squinting from the person in the light. This is most noticeable during toasts. You'll also be able to throw the shadows lower, which is handy if they're close to a wall.

Ultimately, like with the choice of lighting instruments, you have to determine which compromise to accept.

Makes sense, I think 3 meter sound like a good height/weight compromise.
Thanks Oren for all your help, really appreciate it!

Hakob Hakobyan
July 21st, 2017, 02:24 PM
Kinotechnik 602 Practilite has 5/8" (Baby) mount and the light stand I want to get (Cheetah Stand Auto folding stands) have 1/4-20 stud.
Will the 602 light be able to be attached to Cheetah Stand light?

Oren Arieli
July 21st, 2017, 05:16 PM
I'm guessing it would, most 1/4-20 studs are surrounded by a larger pin. If not, there are always swivel mounts available and adaptors for nearly every size.

Steven Shea
July 22nd, 2017, 09:44 AM
I have an Aputure 672s that I've tried on one wedding during the dancing portion. Worked well, and the remote was a godsend. Haven't tried for speeches. Going to do that today.

It's less flood-y than most panels, but still not focused like a fresnel.

For an on camera light, I don't think there's anything better than an F&V r300 with milk diffusor.

Lewis Raymond
July 24th, 2017, 12:32 PM
The problem I have with investing in some kind of lighting on tripod is that some kid will run into it or trip up over it - very easy in many venues I do, especially with a lack of space and poor lighting. I just can't bring myself to invest in tripod mounted lighting because I don't want that kind of risk, especially when people are drinking during the reception.

I tend to ask the venue to keep the lights bright enough for the first few dances and adjust the lighting a little in Premiere Pro if I need to - that way I can relax while filming as I know I don't have equipment lying around and setup is obviously simplified too.

Kyle Root
July 26th, 2017, 11:24 AM
I have TorchLEDs and a Comer 1800 that I often use at receptions. Have had great success with the Torches since 2014.