View Full Version : Linking Videos

Conrad Obregon
September 3rd, 2017, 08:13 AM
I have several nature videos posted on YouTube that last about ten minutes that seem to be too big to load as an attachment to DVInfo. I’d like to start a thread with a link to one or more of these videos. I’ve read the FAQs but still have trouble figuring out how best to do it. Can anyone help?

Paul Wood
September 4th, 2017, 07:26 AM
When you post, make sure that the "Additional Options" show parse links, automatically embed media nad retrieve titles are all ticked, than you can copy the link into your message.

Try " Preview Post" to check that it works OK.

Conrad Obregon
September 11th, 2017, 03:57 PM
I've tried that and a clickable link is provided, but I'd like to embed that link in a thumbnail. My preview doesn't show an embedded thumbnail. and when I try to download the embedded code from YouTube I get error messages when I try the preview. Do I need special software to do this, or am I missing something simple?

Conrad Obregon
September 13th, 2017, 11:29 AM
Never Mind. I see how it's done now. Thanks.

Chris Hurd
September 15th, 2017, 07:16 AM
Just to follow up here...

Adding a YouTube URL should embed a player directly in the forum post.

No need for any special code or anything; just the video URL by itself will do.

I prefer to keep eyeballs on DV Info Net and not send them away, therefore I prefer an embedded player as opposed to a link.

Boyd Ostroff
September 15th, 2017, 09:18 AM
Chris, FWIW, inline YouTube videos work fine for me, but Vimeo's embedded player uses Flash and I just get a blank frame saying the plug-in is missing. I can still click the title bar and it takes me to Vimeo to watch.

I'm running the current version of Safari on the Mac, and have removed flash intentionally - got tired of the security concerns and constant need to update. Adobe recently announced their intention to discontinue flash. I think Vimeo has an HTML5 player, isn't there some way to force its use here? I think DVinfo is the only site where I've had a problem since I uninstalled flash.

No big deal... just thought I'd point it out in case you weren't aware!

Roger Van Duyn
September 15th, 2017, 11:14 AM
I have several nature videos posted on YouTube that last about ten minutes that seem to be too big to load as an attachment to DVInfo. I’d like to start a thread with a link to one or more of these videos. I’ve read the FAQs but still have trouble figuring out how best to do it. Can anyone help?

You can make a playlist on YouTube and then save the link to the whole playlist here, not just a single video. You need to go under the Creator Studio settings on your You Tube channel to do it.

Here's a short (playlist of two videos) example:

Sports - YouTube

If you roll your mouse to the top left of the video you'll see "Playlist Sports" is revealed.

Hope this helps. Now, not every playlist of mine embeds properly here. I've had a few issues on my PC since Windows 10 Pro auto-updated yesterday. Not sure why one playlist I tried earlier didn't work. Sometimes it just showed the first video in the list, sometimes the message here in the forum said video unavailable. But I have been having issues since yesterday's Windows 10 update. For instance, the Avid License Control no longer works right when I try to start up Media Composer. Fortunately, I cloned my boot drive a couple of weeks ago and the clone still loads Avid.