Linking Videos at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old September 3rd, 2017, 08:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Linking Videos

I have several nature videos posted on YouTube that last about ten minutes that seem to be too big to load as an attachment to DVInfo. I’d like to start a thread with a link to one or more of these videos. I’ve read the FAQs but still have trouble figuring out how best to do it. Can anyone help?
Conrad Obregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2017, 07:26 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Linking Videos

When you post, make sure that the "Additional Options" show parse links, automatically embed media nad retrieve titles are all ticked, than you can copy the link into your message.

Try " Preview Post" to check that it works OK.
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 03:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I've tried that and a clickable link is provided, but I'd like to embed that link in a thumbnail. My preview doesn't show an embedded thumbnail. and when I try to download the embedded code from YouTube I get error messages when I try the preview. Do I need special software to do this, or am I missing something simple?
Old September 13th, 2017, 11:29 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Never Mind. I see how it's done now. Thanks.
Old September 15th, 2017, 07:16 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Just to follow up here...

Adding a YouTube URL should embed a player directly in the forum post.

No need for any special code or anything; just the video URL by itself will do.

I prefer to keep eyeballs on DV Info Net and not send them away, therefore I prefer an embedded player as opposed to a link.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2017, 09:18 AM   #6
Wrangler

Chris, FWIW, inline YouTube videos work fine for me, but Vimeo's embedded player uses Flash and I just get a blank frame saying the plug-in is missing. I can still click the title bar and it takes me to Vimeo to watch.

I'm running the current version of Safari on the Mac, and have removed flash intentionally - got tired of the security concerns and constant need to update. Adobe recently announced their intention to discontinue flash. I think Vimeo has an HTML5 player, isn't there some way to force its use here? I think DVinfo is the only site where I've had a problem since I uninstalled flash.

No big deal... just thought I'd point it out in case you weren't aware!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2017, 11:14 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Obregon View Post
I have several nature videos posted on YouTube that last about ten minutes that seem to be too big to load as an attachment to DVInfo. I’d like to start a thread with a link to one or more of these videos. I’ve read the FAQs but still have trouble figuring out how best to do it. Can anyone help?
You can make a playlist on YouTube and then save the link to the whole playlist here, not just a single video. You need to go under the Creator Studio settings on your You Tube channel to do it.

Here's a short (playlist of two videos) example:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8a8oBB0P_gdWgm6z8q71X_98b7Vg6lNL
If you roll your mouse to the top left of the video you'll see "Playlist Sports" is revealed.

Hope this helps. Now, not every playlist of mine embeds properly here. I've had a few issues on my PC since Windows 10 Pro auto-updated yesterday. Not sure why one playlist I tried earlier didn't work. Sometimes it just showed the first video in the list, sometimes the message here in the forum said video unavailable. But I have been having issues since yesterday's Windows 10 update. For instance, the Avid License Control no longer works right when I try to start up Media Composer. Fortunately, I cloned my boot drive a couple of weeks ago and the clone still loads Avid.

Last edited by Roger Van Duyn; September 15th, 2017 at 11:43 AM. Reason: added correction
Roger Van Duyn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land