View Full Version : Fujinon MK-series on JVC LS-300... vignetting on the wide end?

Al Slamecka
October 2nd, 2017, 10:39 PM
At IBC 2107, MTF Services showed their mft (micro 4/3) conversion mounts for Fujinon's MK-series of Cine zoom lens (18-55mm and 50-135mm). I've attached a picture of an LS-300 with the18-55mm from IBC 2017 that was posted in the comments of a related story at Newsshooter.com

The lenses are designed to cover S35 sensors on Sony E-mount cameras and I'm curious to know if they cover the LS-300 S35 sensor at 100% VSM on the wide end (18mm). The Veydra 16mm falls just short but a couple more millimeters might just be enough. The 18-55mm has a slightly larger range than 4 Veydra's primes (16, 25, 35, 50) so it's an interesting alternative for a couple hundred $$ more after the mount conversion.

Hoping someone from JVC is on the forum and can provide a definitive answer about the sensor coverage.

Craig Yanagi
October 3rd, 2017, 09:36 AM
The information from Fujinon we received is that the lens covers 28.5mm, which is wider than both APS-C and S35 measurements on record. Combined with the comment from MTF Services in their YouTube video about their adapter mounting the lens at the same focal length, the GY-LS300 imager should be able to capture a clean image at 100%, in theory.

Not having attended IBC 2017 I cannot confirm or deny this, but the reports are promising. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to test the lens and the adapter for ourselves in the very near future. It goes without saying that both Fujinon and MTF Services are great companies with great products.

Al Slamecka
October 3rd, 2017, 05:24 PM
Thanks Craig.

Appreciate the quick reply and hope to see some LS-300 /Fujinon MK footage soon. There's a few of us especially keen to know if the lens is parfocal on the LS-300.

On a related note, I haven't been able to find any LS-300 4K 60p footage captured on an Atomos Ninja Inferno on the Internet. If you know any online resources that have either graded or ungraded footage, that would be very helpful.

I can't be the only who's Ninja Inferno purchase is pending more reviews and sample footage of the LS-300 / Ninja Inferno combination.

Al Slamecka
October 18th, 2017, 07:11 AM
Craig --

If you're attending NAB NYC this week (Oct 18th / 19th), it would be great to get confirmation of LS-300 sensor coverage with the Fujinon MK 18-55mm lens if it's being featured in the JVC booth (as it was at IBC 2017).

Appreciate any additional info you can provide.

W. Bill Magac
October 18th, 2017, 08:09 PM
I was at NAB NY today. Forgot to ask the Fujinon rep about LS300 coverage. Spoke with the rep about the warranty on modified lenses. He said he thought modified lenses by Duclos and MTF should be covered. However, he mentioned the Fujinon service department has a different opinion. Before you buy a modified lens, verify who will honor the warranty.

Rohan Dadswell
November 18th, 2017, 09:23 PM
No problem with full sensor coverage with the 18-55mm - it's a great combo

Luke Miller
November 19th, 2017, 08:46 AM
Very nice. Since the lens weighs more than the LS-300 lens mount limit of 0.85 kg you might consider a lens support.

Steve Rosen
November 26th, 2017, 08:48 AM
No problem with full sensor coverage with the 18-55mm - it's a great combo

Is it parfocal on the LS300? I have several legacy S16 zooms that aren't (even though they are on other cameras like the BM Pocket and Micro)...

Rohan Dadswell
November 27th, 2017, 03:03 PM
Yes, it is parfocal - once you adjust the back focus, which is very quick & easy to do thanks to the broadcast style adjustment ring. No mucking about with shims.

I have noticed that I need to change backfocus if I use this lens on the GH5 or pocket camera - they are all slightly different.

Steve Rosen
November 28th, 2017, 08:56 AM
What adapter E to MFT are you using?

Also, I see you aren't using support. I have my LS set up for shoulder use, and don't want rails. Can I get away without lens support?

Alex Humphrey
November 28th, 2017, 10:23 AM
well if I hadn't picked up 4 or 5 Rokinon Cine DS recently. But the other night I so could have used a quality
2.8 parafocal zoom.

Rohan Dadswell
November 29th, 2017, 05:49 PM
It's not actually an adapter - you replace the E mount with a M4/3 one (4 screws) from MTF Services in the UK.

I do use a lens support if I'm running around but not so much for corporate tripod work. The lens is over the recommended unsupported weight for the mount (just) - it feels solid but if it fails it will fail big time.