View Full Version : Zoom Commander II Remote

Bryan Worsley
April 29th, 2018, 11:37 PM
Came across this LANC remote - 'Zoom Commander II' - whilst looking at used tripod & stabilizer deals.

Zoom Commander Digital Zoom Controller (http://www.signvideo.com/zoom-commander-digital-zoom-controller_II_pro.htm)

Appears to be a rather an old model from the Hi-8/DV camcorder days. Anyone know if it will work with a Canon Vixia HF-G30 ? I'm not so interested in Focus control - mainly the Record, Zoom and 'Camera Power On/Off' functionality.

Edit: No bother, the item was sold.

Don Palomaki
May 1st, 2018, 06:57 AM
I have not tried the Zoom Commander products, but FWIW, the Canon ZR-1000 that worked with the old XL1 also works with the XA20, and the Zoom Commanders claim they work with the XL1. However, that is no assurance they correctly implement all LANC protocol codes recognized by the G30

Have you tried search for old threads that discuss the Zoom Commanders? There are a few that discuss some pros and cons from 8-12 years ago.

Bryan Worsley
May 1st, 2018, 06:18 PM
Have you tried search for old threads that discuss the Zoom Commanders? There are a few that discuss some pros and cons from 8-12 years ago.

Thanks Don. Yes, I did a search which turned up those posts you mention, the last one in 2009 relating to the XHA1. The Zoom Commander II just happened to be included in a gear bundle I was looking at on EBay and I wondered if it would be any use to me. I missed the auction closure and the gear was sold for more than I would have been prepared to pay anyway.

Cheers.

Chris Hurd
May 1st, 2018, 07:08 PM
I don't think you missed much, Bryan -- I am not a fan of those remotes. To me they are ergonomically unappealing. A much better choice would be any VariZoom model LANC controller.

Bryan Worsley
May 1st, 2018, 10:15 PM
Actually Chris the bundle I was looking at was this one:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Complete-Sony-DCR-VX2000-miniDV-production-package/253573748585?hash=item3b0a2c5769:g:2kEAAOSwCDZa2hiq

It was the Sony VX2000 and included fisheye lens (opteka super wide 0.22x 58mm) that caught my attention - you'll recall our discussion about video cameras for filming skateboarding last week.

I was weighing up whether the other bundled items might be of use and, if not, their potential resale value. The Fig-Rig alone could maybe fetch $150. It was a tempting proposition up to the closing hours of the auction when the bids ramped-up - as is often the case. I missed the closing but given the hefty shipping/duty costs for importing to Canada, I probably would have chickened out anyway.

I am looking to buy a remote at some point though and, as you say, the VariZoom (Stealth) is well recommended.

Cheers.

Chris Hurd
May 2nd, 2018, 08:20 AM
Wow, it went for nearly C$300... I recall when the Kata bag in that kit sold for nearly that amount all by itself. Lots of good stuff there.

Bryan Worsley
May 2nd, 2018, 09:43 AM
Like I said, it was tempting. Shipping/import costs would have added C$110 to that though.

I had a hankering for a Fig-Rig back in the day and, like many people, had a go at making a poor-man's substitute from PVC pipe......didn't work very well. Long discontinued now of course although I read an article last year that Mike Figgis was working on an 'updated' version 3 model and was talking to Manfrotto about relaunching it:

https://creativityinnovationsuccess.wordpress.com/2017/06/20/great-news-directorcinematographer-mike-figgis-has-redesigned-the-legendary-innovative-fig-rig-video-camera-rig/

Wonder if anything will come of that ?