Zoom Commander II Remote at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old April 29th, 2018, 11:37 PM   #1
Major Player

Zoom Commander II Remote

Came across this LANC remote - 'Zoom Commander II' - whilst looking at used tripod & stabilizer deals.

Zoom Commander Digital Zoom Controller

Appears to be a rather an old model from the Hi-8/DV camcorder days. Anyone know if it will work with a Canon Vixia HF-G30 ? I'm not so interested in Focus control - mainly the Record, Zoom and 'Camera Power On/Off' functionality.

Edit: No bother, the item was sold.

Last edited by Bryan Worsley; April 30th, 2018 at 09:11 PM.
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2018, 06:57 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Zoom Commander II Remote

I have not tried the Zoom Commander products, but FWIW, the Canon ZR-1000 that worked with the old XL1 also works with the XA20, and the Zoom Commanders claim they work with the XL1. However, that is no assurance they correctly implement all LANC protocol codes recognized by the G30

Have you tried search for old threads that discuss the Zoom Commanders? There are a few that discuss some pros and cons from 8-12 years ago.
Old May 1st, 2018, 06:18 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
Have you tried search for old threads that discuss the Zoom Commanders? There are a few that discuss some pros and cons from 8-12 years ago.
Thanks Don. Yes, I did a search which turned up those posts you mention, the last one in 2009 relating to the XHA1. The Zoom Commander II just happened to be included in a gear bundle I was looking at on EBay and I wondered if it would be any use to me. I missed the auction closure and the gear was sold for more than I would have been prepared to pay anyway.

Cheers.
Old May 1st, 2018, 07:08 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

I don't think you missed much, Bryan -- I am not a fan of those remotes. To me they are ergonomically unappealing. A much better choice would be any VariZoom model LANC controller.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2018, 10:15 PM   #5
Major Player

Actually Chris the bundle I was looking at was this one:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Complete-Son...EAAOSwCDZa2hiq

It was the Sony VX2000 and included fisheye lens (opteka super wide 0.22x 58mm) that caught my attention - you'll recall our discussion about video cameras for filming skateboarding last week.

I was weighing up whether the other bundled items might be of use and, if not, their potential resale value. The Fig-Rig alone could maybe fetch $150. It was a tempting proposition up to the closing hours of the auction when the bids ramped-up - as is often the case. I missed the closing but given the hefty shipping/duty costs for importing to Canada, I probably would have chickened out anyway.

I am looking to buy a remote at some point though and, as you say, the VariZoom (Stealth) is well recommended.

Cheers.

Last edited by Bryan Worsley; May 2nd, 2018 at 05:57 AM.
Old May 2nd, 2018, 08:20 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Wow, it went for nearly C$300... I recall when the Kata bag in that kit sold for nearly that amount all by itself. Lots of good stuff there.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2018, 09:43 AM   #7
Major Player

Like I said, it was tempting. Shipping/import costs would have added C$110 to that though.

I had a hankering for a Fig-Rig back in the day and, like many people, had a go at making a poor-man's substitute from PVC pipe......didn't work very well. Long discontinued now of course although I read an article last year that Mike Figgis was working on an 'updated' version 3 model and was talking to Manfrotto about relaunching it:

https://creativityinnovationsuccess....eo-camera-rig/

Wonder if anything will come of that ?
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders