View Full Version : headphone recommendations...

Joshua Wachs
December 21st, 2002, 08:33 PM
any suggestions on a decent pair of headphones to monitor sound while shooting w/ my GL2? I've been using a pair of Aiwa's that I bought for $30 from a local CD shop but I'm concerned I may be missing highs or lows with a cheapo pair.

John Locke
December 21st, 2002, 09:17 PM
I use two types of headphones depending on the situation. If there isn't a lot of noise in the area, I use some Sony earbuds. They're comfortable and have a good dynamic range.

If there's quite a bit of noise, though, I wear my Sony MDR-7506 headphones since they help cancel out noise pollution. They're dynamic range is excellent.

Jeff Donald
December 21st, 2002, 09:33 PM
I use the same, Sony MDR 7506. You would have to double the price to get a better pair of headphones.

Jeff

Ken Tanaka
December 21st, 2002, 11:38 PM
Well it looks like it's unanimous: I also use Sony MDR-7506's, but mostly for in-studio work. I use their smaller cousin, the MDR-7505's for field shooting. They have basically the same closed-ear cups but they're smaller and fold compactly for easy packing.

For really compact field work try to find a pair of these:
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=jEl9TXg_wjV9X0Y6wtJ3RjcwCUxl1LipM4g=?CatalogCategoryID=rYQKC0%2eNfaAAAADyn3E8lSwT&ProductID=ZBsKC0%2eNwuYAAADydHY8lSwe&Dept=pa

Unlike normal "earbuds" these fit into the outside of your ear canal and provide a remarkable degree of insulation from moderate noise while providing decent fidelity.

Graham Bernard
December 22nd, 2002, 03:45 AM
I too have been looking at the various head phone set-up. What I want to do is to have an "L" shaped plug that doesn't stick out to far - yes?

I've had a go at the Senni pair - not THAT expensive, but they insist on having the large audio jack, that then needs a smaller convertor adn THAT makes the actual sticking out portion even bigger.

Any thoughts?

Grazie

Bill Hardy
December 22nd, 2002, 04:51 AM
When I first tried the MDR 7506 headphones plugged into my Powerbook I thought I heard someone approaching my cubical at work; it was the sound of the movie I was watching on the laptop. Very realistic. The MDR headset amplifies the sound more when plugged into the cam; cheap headphones could not cut it. I agree that they are worth the money. You can buy an "L" shaped dongle at Radio Shack but I do not think it is necessary.

Graham Bernard
December 22nd, 2002, 05:43 AM
Cheers Buddy - In the UK we have don't have a Radio Shack. Our equiv. is Maplins - lot's of boys toys - yes? Sure I understand it would not be totaly necessary for an L shape if it wasn't the combined length of the Seeni larger jack and its mini adaptor.

Grazie

Don Palomaki
December 22nd, 2002, 06:08 AM
Anyone used the noise-cancelling earphones as a way to help overcome ambinet nosie when monitoring the sound?

Ed Frazier
December 22nd, 2002, 08:04 AM
I haven't tried the active noise canceling type, but just purchased a pair of HN-7506M headsets from http://www.remoteaudio.com/hn7506.htm. These utilize Sony 7506 components fitted inside aviation style shells. I don't think you can find a passive noise canceling headset that is any quieter than this. We use them when recording auto races where ambient sound levels are extremely high.

Joshua Wachs
December 22nd, 2002, 10:03 AM
I've been looking around places that may sell these on a Sunday in Boston without a lot of luck. I did find these:

http://www.tweeter.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1167938&cp=1176496.1179953&parentPage=family

Anyone have any experience?

-- Joshua

Jeff Donald
December 22nd, 2002, 10:07 AM
I bought my Sony's at a music store. Surprisingly, they had the best price. The pair you link to look similar, but I don't have any direct experience.

Jeff

Mark Austin
December 22nd, 2002, 08:32 PM
SONY! Oh excuse me did I mention I love the SONY! I have used hundreds and owned a bunch of head phones over the years but the ones that I like the best and keep coming back to are the Sony's. They are more pleasant and comfortable to listen to for extended periods, sound awesome, and just seem to translate better than just about anything else. If it sounds right in the Sony's it is right, and you can bank on it. When I mix music, I always at least check it on my Sony's, and I have mixed complete songs on them with great sucess. Any of the MDR 7506/5/4 are a great value. Mine look like the dog ate them they're so beat up, they are about six years (that's road years) old but I can't bear to part with them because still function very well. You may not get a set for $30, but they will outperform 10 pairs of $30 cans.
my 2 cents
Mark

John Locke
December 22nd, 2002, 08:45 PM
I can second Ken's recommendation of the smaller headphones, too. What I was calling "earbuds" turns out to be the same model he mentioned. In fact, I think I bought them on his recommendation.

They really are comfortable, and so compact.

Zac Stein
December 22nd, 2002, 08:48 PM
Ummm, i actually don't like the Sony headphones to just be different, i have tried them out, find them synthetic sounding.

I use a very old pair of sennheiser HD-25's, which i have had for 6 years from my dj'ing days, i find them fantastic.

Koss also make fantastic headphones as well.

kermie

Michael A. Davis
December 22nd, 2002, 09:11 PM
Ken Tanaka wrote: "For really compact field work try to find a pair of these:
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...HY8lSwe&Dept=pa

Unlike normal "earbuds" these fit into the outside of your ear canal and provide a remarkable degree of insulation from moderate noise while providing decent fidelity."

I use these, except they are called "nudes" and are a short cord version. They rock. I got mine from a guy in Singapore. Ken meant to say that they are used INSIDE the ear canal.
I wear glasses and own a pair of over the ear headphones that I used to use to watch movies on the tube. After two hours my head would hurt from the impressions.
With these earbuds you forget you're wearing them. I take them out on my bike for half day rides with absolutely zero discomfort. Of course not being able to hear yourself when yelling at a passing car takes a little getting used too.
Dynamic range is outstanding though I have not compared them to the MDR-7506s.
I have not used them extensively with the GL2 but can tell you that at the end of a long shooting day I forsee no comfort problems.
Listening to recorded material for my films with a minidisc, AT822 stereo mic and these headphones have had me looking over my shoulder they sounded so natural.
One other plus is the low end is clearer(louder) than either normal earbuds or my old Sony over ears providing better range in that direction.

Michael

Joshua Wachs
December 24th, 2002, 07:37 AM
So I can't seem to find the 7506 at any of my local retails but I can seem to find the MDR V600 which I was told is the same headphones but just packaged differently. (Price is also 99.95 as well.)

Any comments or knowledge about this?

Jeff Donald
December 24th, 2002, 07:47 AM
I believe the V700 is the same as the MDR 7506. At least that is what several of the online reviewers claimed. I'm surprised you can't find the 7506's in Boston. They are kind of an industry standard. We have several large music supply stores (Sam Ashe, Planet Mars) carrying them (at least the last I looked).

Jeff

Joshua Wachs
December 24th, 2002, 09:59 AM
I know. It's weird. I've tried Best Buy, Circuit City, Tower, and Tweeter. All to no avail.

Joshua Wachs
December 24th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Upon further examination even of the Sony site, it appears that the 7506 isn't even available anymore (see SonyStyle.com)... the 700 is the $150 pair and the 600 certainly seems like the same specs as the 7506... anyone else have a comment?

thanks!

Ken Tanaka
December 24th, 2002, 11:34 AM
B&H:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh1.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___49510___SOMDR7506___REG___CatID=0___SID=F2 87C6AA520

Joshua Wachs
December 24th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Yeah, I saw that but I wonder if it's just older stock?

Ken Tanaka
December 24th, 2002, 12:20 PM
"Older stock"?

You're unlikely to find these 7500 series headphones in consumer stores and sites, They're sold mainly towards the professional market segment. They don't look hip enough for the kiddies and they don't feature migraine-inducing bass boost.

Jeff Donald
December 24th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Here they are on the Sony site http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Professional/webapp/ModelInfo?id=52568 they are considered Pro, so you won't find them on the consumer site or even most consumer stores.

Jeff

Joshua Wachs
December 24th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Ahh. Ok, thanks for all the clarifications. Happy XMas all.

Ed Frazier
December 24th, 2002, 12:58 PM
<<Upon further examination even of the Sony site, it appears that the 7506 isn't even available anymore (see SonyStyle.com)... >>

You'll find them at this Sony site http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Professional/webapp/ModelInfo?p=10&sp=79&id=52568 and just about any pro audio supplier.
------------------------------
Woops, looks like you beat me to it Jeff.

Bart Saerens
December 26th, 2002, 04:53 PM
I'm using the Beyerdynamic DT 231 with my XM2.

Beyerdynamic headphones are used worldwide in radio and television industry (and recording studios), especially the DT 100 is a famous one.

This is a PDF brochure with details on the DT 231:

http://www.beyerdynamic.com/pdf/dt231.pdf

Bart

Mike Butler
December 11th, 2003, 05:54 PM
OK, here's a field report...
this week I taped a concert at the Hard Rock Hotel (and yes the music was HARD rock!) using the Sony 7506 cans. These phones sound great in any situation, and I found them to be very helpful in this environment. I was standing directly downstage in the press pit, and the Sonys gave me a confidence check that the loud music was not overloading my audio section...plus they gave my tired old rock'n'roll ears the added benefit of protection from the brutal SPL levels at short range. :-)

As Jeff and Ed and Ken pointed out, they are not consumer products, so you can forget about waltzing into your local Circuit City or Best Buy and ilk...I never waste my time with these places, cuz they don't sell what we use. Got mine at Full Compass, B&H also have them, as do Markertek and a whole host of other pro audio suppliers.

They work great my my XL1, my GL1 and my editing kit. I love'em!

Boyd Ostroff
December 11th, 2003, 06:37 PM
I have the Sony MDR-V600's which are discussed above. They're available at electronics superstores like Best Buy and Circuit City for $100. I really like them, and the specs appear to match the 7506. There may be some factors in their construction which would make the 7506's better... looking at the picture they appear similar but not quite identical.

All things being equal I imagine it's best to order the 7506's, but as usual I decided to make my purchase at the last minute and just went with what I could get locally...

Matt Elias
December 11th, 2003, 08:12 PM
Has anyone had experience with the Sony MDR-7502 cans? B&H has them for $44.95. I was wondering if they still have the same protection against ambient noise, or even "hard rock"?

Mike Butler
December 11th, 2003, 08:15 PM
Yeah, Boyd, I know the "fun" of emergency buying...not that I usually choose it! On the road in a strange town, something breaks or gets lost (or I forgot to bring it) and I wander around in the rent-a-car praying to find a Best Buy, Staples, Home Depot or any place where there's a prayer of finding anything that is remotely possible to work. Other than that, I usually just call B&H or one of the aforementioned other pro gear shops and they send it out the same day, and I have it in a day or two.

Jim Hill
December 11th, 2003, 10:12 PM
I use the Sennheiser HD 25-SP. Reasonably cheap (125 at B&H) and great rejection of ambient noise. Used them in theatres with reasonably noisy audiences and amplified audio/music. Probably not isolated enough for a rock concert, but apart from that, great in every circumstance I've tried. Lightweight and comfortable too. I haven't tried much else to compare them to though.

Mark Newhouse
December 12th, 2003, 01:06 AM
My Sennheiser HD-280's should arrive tomorrow. $60 after rebate from Amazon. I'm looking forward to using them - they are supposed to have a -30db passive attenuation. Not sure how they'll work with my glasses, but I'll submit a report once I have some time with them.

Alan McCormick
December 12th, 2003, 05:00 AM
Mark,

You will not be disappointed, I have the HD280 and wear glasses too.

Used them at weddings, school concerts (very noisy) and at music gigs at pubs (in the UK).

Won't go anywhere without them now.

Miquel de Pablo
December 13th, 2003, 04:15 PM
Although I'd love to have a pair of 7506s, I will sorely miss my employer's ATH-M40s when I move out. They sound great and are very comfortable. I believe they are larger and heavier than the Sonys, though. See http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=97718&is=REG

Mike Butler
December 13th, 2003, 04:31 PM
Yeah, the AT's look pretty big, and if they don't fold down like the 7506, they'd never fit in my Porta Brace with all my other "junque"...but it's cool that they have field-replaceable cables, drivers, who knows what can happen out there! I wonder if there is someplace you can go to compare them, a pro audio shop or music store, when it comes time to get your own.

Mark Newhouse
December 15th, 2003, 04:13 PM
You will not be disappointed, I have the HD280 and wear glasses too.

Thanks Alan.

The headphones did show up on Friday, and I've been very pleased with them so far. They've been a boon to editing as I am able to pinpoint audio much quicker than with speakers, and the passive ambient noise attenuation is great - I wore them on the bus into work this morning and I could actually hear the music. All but the loudest noises were effectively attenuated.

So far I am very happy with my purchase.

Alan McCormick
December 16th, 2003, 12:18 AM
Mark,

They are Excellent, I cannot edit without them now for the reason you mentioned "I am able to pinpoint audio much quicker than with speakers".
Don't know how I managed without them.

The other cool feature is the way they fold up into the smaller size, ideal if you are going on a shoot, easier to pack.

Mike Butler
December 16th, 2003, 10:45 AM
That's a good feature...the Sonys have them too and it's much easier to cram in my camera bag than my old cans.

Mark Newhouse
December 16th, 2003, 01:56 PM
The other cool feature is the way they fold up into the smaller size, ideal if you are going on a shoot, easier to pack.

Another reason I went with these (Sennheiser HD 280 Pros) - though I know it's a feature that is available on other brands and models. For me the combination of features and price was right. They had good reviews from a variety of sources, professional and anecdotal. I think I made a good choice.

I've used them for several hours at a time on a couple of editing sessions, and they have remained comfortable - not too heavy or tight. I anticipate that I will continue to be happy with them.

Michael Connor
December 30th, 2003, 08:23 PM
I have a friend who talked for over half an hour on how good his sony headphones were, but i never heard them, and get sick of sony this sony that!
Anyway, i must recomend the sennheiser HD 25 sp. I bought them as a DJ. Because they are loud, and you can hear them in a noisy environment, being closed cupped. The advantage is, they are lightweight, and comfortable to wear for long periods. Its easy to flip one ear round if you need to hear something live. Each part is replacable, and they are a simple design. And finally they just keep working. And in stereo too. (not like one ear on, the other one 'off and on' as you play with the wire!!!) Mine have been end up trampled on and pulled to bits. But they just stick back together, and continue to work. Thats what i call cool. And a 2 yr manufacturers guarantee backs you up should my word not be enough!!!

Mike Butler
December 31st, 2003, 10:08 AM
OK, I got a stupid question...why did you not listen to the Sonys if he bragged on them so much? Were you just so annoyed with him that you went and did the opposite? :-)

Actually I merely bought the MDR-7506 because so many studios and other audio pros use them, so I concluded they must be pretty reliable cuz I have never heard complaints about them breaking down.

I don't really know much about the Senn closed back cans, I used to sell a lot of the open-air Senns when I was a wee lad in the audio retail business, and I do like their mics.

As a DJ, I have used many different headphones, from the Discwasher HP50 which I loved (but they finally crumbled cuz they were only consumer grade), to Koss and others. My most recent try was a Gemini with a single ear (fed by both channels) so you can hear ambient, and a boom mic. Too bad they were unreliable. I never did have a very high opinion of Gemini brand DJ equipment anyway. The most important factor to me as a DJ is that the cable must be from a single ear, not one cable from each ear merging below your chin, so if you quickly pull them off the back of your head the cables aren't stuck around your neck.

Michael Connor
December 31st, 2003, 10:19 AM
yea! well he never had the headphones with him, and i already had the sennheisers. These are fantastic as a DJ as the cups simply swivel round when you need a ear free. As for sennheiser mics, maplin have a fantastic offer on the e818sII mic. They were apparently 30 or 40 quid but was alerted by a shop selling them at 25. Then maplin had them for £20. I went to buy one and found them reduced to £15, so promptly bought 2! They come in a lovely case, xlr on one wnd and small mono jack on other (with adaptor). So they plug straight into the XM2, though im making up a wire so i can use the 2 of them as boundary mics,one onleft one on right channel (when ive got cam on a tripod or using a minidisk for sound source). Got to be better than the inbuilt.

Mike Butler
December 31st, 2003, 12:16 PM
Wow! That's an awesome price for a name-brand mic, even one that they call an "economy vocalist" model, it should be fine for picking up dialogue. And in my experience, anything you can do to get away from using the onboard camera mic will help, due to the fact that your mic can be closer to the talent to eliminate reverberation and won't be picking up camera mechanical noise.

At around $22 USD each, that's less than 1/4 the price of a Shure SM58 (the commonly accepted vocal mic). I wonder how much they would nick me to send them to the USA.

Anthony Lee
January 2nd, 2004, 09:06 PM
Anyone know how audio technica's ATH-M40fs would compare to the the sony 7506's?

Michael Connor
January 3rd, 2004, 07:37 AM
Sorry anth, no idea,not come across 'technica' unless its 'technics, i had a pair of technics headphones, sounded good, but cable at plug was dodgy, and they became mono.
Re Mike above, yea, sm58s cost more in this country. senneiser mics very good for vocals, but the other day i tried to use one with my xm2 filming a coal fire burning. I wanted to capture the crackling of the fire, and also the howling of the wind from outside. The mic picked up part of the fire crackle noise. But the xm2's own mike actually fared better, and captured everything, which sounded great. Need to recheck on a good soundsystem, but hopefully there was no internal noise as i didnt need to zoom. Unfortunatley a mate decided to break wind and it picked up that is well, so work needed there!

Mike Butler
January 4th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Hahahaha, break like the wind! (remember Spinal Tap?) Could do a remake of the campfire scene in Blazing Saddles! :-)

Michael, Audio-Technica and Technics are two different and separate companies. Technics is by Panasonic, which is part of Matsushita worldwide. As for just picking up the fire, remember that a mic like the external one you were using is cardioid and will just hear what it is pointed at, whereas the camera mic is set further back and the other sounds are more likely to be within its field. Experimentation is useful.

Galen Summer
February 18th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Anybody have any experience with the 700DJ model from Sony? I work at a music store and can get these for a reduced price, so I am thinking of doing it. Any reason why I would want to go with the 7506's instead? Or is it only a minor difference? I want something that will be good in the field. Thanks.

Mike Butler
February 18th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Galen,
How much can you get them for? I can see that they do look different, and they are supposed to be easy to position for one-eared listening when you are DJing (not likely to be such a useful feature for videotaping). They look like they would be great for DJing. Other than that, I have no experience with the 700's.

What I can tell you, however, is that I have field tested the 7506 in a variety of situations, and it is the model headphone chosen by the majority of studios and audio engineers--a known standard, so to speak. They sound great, and are very comfortable, and fold down nice and small into their little drawstring bag so I can stuff them in my briefcase when I fly (and plug them into my computer and listen to ITunes or a DVD when in the air). Whenever I hand them to somebody to listen to a playback, they say "wow, these sound great!"

I wonder if your store can order the 7506 and how much those would cost? If it is a major chain like Sam Ash or something like that, I would think that's possible. Of course, the best scenario would be to be able to demo them side-by-side...that's how I used to sell speakers.

Matthew Robertson
May 20th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Anyone used the noise-cancelling earphones as a way to help overcome ambinet nosie when monitoring the sound?

I use shure e2c's which work great for isolating sound and have great sound quality for under 70 bucks. It allows you to truly focus on the camera sound