headphone recommendations... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 21st, 2002, 08:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

headphone recommendations...

any suggestions on a decent pair of headphones to monitor sound while shooting w/ my GL2? I've been using a pair of Aiwa's that I bought for $30 from a local CD shop but I'm concerned I may be missing highs or lows with a cheapo pair.
Old December 21st, 2002, 09:17 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I use two types of headphones depending on the situation. If there isn't a lot of noise in the area, I use some Sony earbuds. They're comfortable and have a good dynamic range.

If there's quite a bit of noise, though, I wear my Sony MDR-7506 headphones since they help cancel out noise pollution. They're dynamic range is excellent.
Old December 21st, 2002, 09:33 PM   #3
Warden

I use the same, Sony MDR 7506. You would have to double the price to get a better pair of headphones.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2002, 11:38 PM   #4

Well it looks like it's unanimous: I also use Sony MDR-7506's, but mostly for in-studio work. I use their smaller cousin, the MDR-7505's for field shooting. They have basically the same closed-ear cups but they're smaller and fold compactly for easy packing.

For really compact field work try to find a pair of these:
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...Y8lSwe&Dept=pa

Unlike normal "earbuds" these fit into the outside of your ear canal and provide a remarkable degree of insulation from moderate noise while providing decent fidelity.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2002, 03:45 AM   #5
Old Boot

I too have been looking at the various head phone set-up. What I want to do is to have an "L" shaped plug that doesn't stick out to far - yes?

I've had a go at the Senni pair - not THAT expensive, but they insist on having the large audio jack, that then needs a smaller convertor adn THAT makes the actual sticking out portion even bigger.

Any thoughts?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2002, 04:51 AM   #6
Major Player

When I first tried the MDR 7506 headphones plugged into my Powerbook I thought I heard someone approaching my cubical at work; it was the sound of the movie I was watching on the laptop. Very realistic. The MDR headset amplifies the sound more when plugged into the cam; cheap headphones could not cut it. I agree that they are worth the money. You can buy an "L" shaped dongle at Radio Shack but I do not think it is necessary.
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2002, 05:43 AM   #7
Old Boot

Cheers Buddy - In the UK we have don't have a Radio Shack. Our equiv. is Maplins - lot's of boys toys - yes? Sure I understand it would not be totaly necessary for an L shape if it wasn't the combined length of the Seeni larger jack and its mini adaptor.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2002, 06:08 AM   #8
Wrangler

Anyone used the noise-cancelling earphones as a way to help overcome ambinet nosie when monitoring the sound?
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2002, 08:04 AM   #9
Major Player

I haven't tried the active noise canceling type, but just purchased a pair of HN-7506M headsets from http://www.remoteaudio.com/hn7506.htm. These utilize Sony 7506 components fitted inside aviation style shells. I don't think you can find a passive noise canceling headset that is any quieter than this. We use them when recording auto races where ambient sound levels are extremely high.
Old December 22nd, 2002, 10:03 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I've been looking around places that may sell these on a Sunday in Boston without a lot of luck. I did find these:

http://www.tweeter.com/product/index...entPage=family

Anyone have any experience?

-- Joshua
Old December 22nd, 2002, 10:07 AM   #11
Warden

I bought my Sony's at a music store. Surprisingly, they had the best price. The pair you link to look similar, but I don't have any direct experience.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2002, 08:32 PM   #12
Regular Crew

SONY! SONY! SONY!

SONY! Oh excuse me did I mention I love the SONY! I have used hundreds and owned a bunch of head phones over the years but the ones that I like the best and keep coming back to are the Sony's. They are more pleasant and comfortable to listen to for extended periods, sound awesome, and just seem to translate better than just about anything else. If it sounds right in the Sony's it is right, and you can bank on it. When I mix music, I always at least check it on my Sony's, and I have mixed complete songs on them with great sucess. Any of the MDR 7506/5/4 are a great value. Mine look like the dog ate them they're so beat up, they are about six years (that's road years) old but I can't bear to part with them because still function very well. You may not get a set for $30, but they will outperform 10 pairs of $30 cans.
my 2 cents
Mark
Old December 22nd, 2002, 08:45 PM   #13

I can second Ken's recommendation of the smaller headphones, too. What I was calling "earbuds" turns out to be the same model he mentioned. In fact, I think I bought them on his recommendation.

They really are comfortable, and so compact.
Old December 22nd, 2002, 08:48 PM   #14
Major Player

Ummm, i actually don't like the Sony headphones to just be different, i have tried them out, find them synthetic sounding.

I use a very old pair of sennheiser HD-25's, which i have had for 6 years from my dj'ing days, i find them fantastic.

Koss also make fantastic headphones as well.

kermie
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2002, 09:11 PM   #15
New Boot

Ken Tanaka wrote: "For really compact field work try to find a pair of these:
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...HY8lSwe&Dept=pa

Unlike normal "earbuds" these fit into the outside of your ear canal and provide a remarkable degree of insulation from moderate noise while providing decent fidelity."

I use these, except they are called "nudes" and are a short cord version. They rock. I got mine from a guy in Singapore. Ken meant to say that they are used INSIDE the ear canal.
I wear glasses and own a pair of over the ear headphones that I used to use to watch movies on the tube. After two hours my head would hurt from the impressions.
With these earbuds you forget you're wearing them. I take them out on my bike for half day rides with absolutely zero discomfort. Of course not being able to hear yourself when yelling at a passing car takes a little getting used too.
Dynamic range is outstanding though I have not compared them to the MDR-7506s.
I have not used them extensively with the GL2 but can tell you that at the end of a long shooting day I forsee no comfort problems.
Listening to recorded material for my films with a minidisc, AT822 stereo mic and these headphones have had me looking over my shoulder they sounded so natural.
One other plus is the low end is clearer(louder) than either normal earbuds or my old Sony over ears providing better range in that direction.

Michael
Michael A. Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders