How is the mic for the GL2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 11th, 2007, 12:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How is the mic for the GL2?

I'm considering picking up a GL2, it seems to be the perfect camera for my intentions. However, I'm a little worried about audio. It's hard to find out the quality of the on-board mic for it, and although I see from many reviews it is omni-directional I would like to still know how well it captures sound.

Anyone have any problems with theirs? For instance, is the sound tinny or anything, or fairly realistic? I know I could always pick up a shotgun mic and do the sound externally like that, but I'd like to use the on-board mic if possible.

Thanks for any answers!
Kyle Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 02:04 PM   #2
Major Player

Just about every resource for professional videography and sound says don't rely on only the on-board mic, regardless of the camera...

It is what it is, an inexpensive on-camera mic. It won't sound nearly as detailed as a properly aimed shotgun mic or a nice lavalier mic, but the mic on the GL2 is nice and loud with plenty of highs.
Old May 11th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Kyle,

If you are just having fun then the on board is not all that bad.

If you want clean audio of a higher caliber then you need to get another mic.
Grazie recomended a rode mic to me almost two years ago and for 179.00 dollars it is surprisingly good and has a mount that wont pick up motor noise and such.

I used it on my gl2 as second camera at a wedding shoot and it was better than the on board mic of my xl2, of course I had a wireless at the same time, but it was revealing to say the least!
Old May 11th, 2007, 10:21 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Kyle,

The onboard mic is good at capturing ambient sound. It is stereo and does produce a good stereo field.

But it is not good for dialog. It is not truly directional. It will pick up your hands on the camera and the motor noise of the lens as well as the sound of your son's first words.

As always, it depends on what audio you are trying to record as to how well you can consider it does.

I do not use mine for anything other than non-critical ambient sound. For everything else, I use a shotgun on a boom, or a wireless hand-held, or tied into a house mixer... it depends on what kind of audio I'm trying to capture.
Old May 11th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Alright, thanks for all the info!

What I've gathered is that the on-board mic isn't what I should be using for recording conversations. It does have an adapter for an external mic though, right? I suppose a good shotgun mic would be an investment then.
Old May 12th, 2007, 08:05 AM   #6
Trustee

The XM2/ GL2 mic is certainly a lot better than most other on-board mics, but you should be thinking about a separate mic perhaps.
I can recommend the Audio-Technica AT 897 that certainly won't break the bank, but sounds like a mic that costs a whole lot more...
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #7
Old Boot

Well, hullo' Robo!

Good to see you about Robin.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #8
Regular Crew

The on board mic is OK but far from great. I get better audio from my old panny PVDV-600. I bought the Canon shotgun mic for my GL2 and I'm not happy with it. If you get an external mic don't get the canon DM50.
Rich Woodrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:15 AM   #9
Wrangler

The GL series built-in mic is a stereo mic, essentially a cardoid pattern, so pick-up of sound from the rear is substantially reduced, but there still is pickup, especially sounds close originating close to the mic. As built-in mics go, it is a good mic and works well for ambient sound. As noted by others, for best sound you need to have a quality mic close to the source, especially if it is dialog.
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:31 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Wood View Post
I bought the Canon shotgun mic for my GL2 and I'm not happy with it. If you get an external mic don't get the canon DM50.
Ok, will do :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
As noted by others, for best sound you need to have a quality mic close to the source, especially if it is dialog..
If you get a second mic, the wire to it plugs directly into the Canon GL2, right? I know it has a slot or two for external devices, I suppose a mic could be one of them?
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:28 AM   #11
Major Player

It is a 1/8" "mini-plug" input so keep that in mind when you look for a mic. A good audio solution for the GL2 is to get a Beachtek adapter that allows you to use balanced XLR inputs.
Old May 20th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #12
Tourist

surprisingly good for a on-board mic. Has two controls for left and right sound volume. Then again, its an on-board mic...
Matthew Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:33 AM   #13
Regular Crew

onboard mic

I just shot a show last weekend in an auditorium.....I was way back in a balcony. It was a large bellydance review and fortunately they had a very good sound system. I forgot my Audiotechnica 822 so had to get by with the onboard mic....(I could have patched into the soundboard but I wanted to capture a lot of the audience sounds like clapping and cheering etc. and also wanted to preserve the stereo image)
The results are surprisingly good!, at least good enough for the majority of tv viewers who usually aren't concerned enough about sound.....I'm also a musician and consider myself somewhat of an audiophile so I'm always making a big deal of the sound in my videos.....
I think video, generally lends itself to much more forgiveness from the viewer because they're so absorbed in the visual aspect of things....OTOH, it never hurts to have great sound....
Len
Len Imbery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders