View Full Version : Windows based capture software

Trevor Allin
December 29th, 2005, 09:20 AM
hi

Anyone know of any stand alone windows based software for capturing hdv? Is there a windows version of HDVxDV?

Thanks

Trevor

Sean McHenry
December 29th, 2005, 09:44 AM
I am not sure if this was proprietary software or not but if you can find anyone with the older JVC HD-10, it came with a simple capture/editing app that may work on footage from the HD-100. I stress MAY work as I have never tested it. Ithink it was PixelPro or something like that.

You might check in the forum for that camera and see if anyone there has a copy and if it has any copyright issue that would keep them from passing it on to you.

Also, I wonder if the demo of Vegas will allow long captures? Might be worth looking into...

Good luck,

Sean McHenry

David Newman
December 29th, 2005, 11:20 AM
CineForm Connect HD is a standard alone tool for capturing and converting HDV to AVIs on the fly. Connect HD is often used with Sony Vegas but it doesn't have to be, it works equally well with tools from After Effects to VirtualDub. Read more here : http://www.cineform.com/products/ConnectHD.htm

P.S. As this is a HD100U post, Connect HD also fully support the modes that many other NLEs are have trouble with (24p and 25p work perfectly.)

Trevor Allin
December 29th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Thanks. I like the Cineform product but it seems pricey for simple capture, which is all I want really.

Trevor

Chris Barcellos
December 29th, 2005, 03:54 PM
I think the Cineform selling point is not its capture capability. I think thereal claim to fame for Cineform is that it is "more easily" edited and rendered than the straight off the tape HD content format.

Anyone comment on that ?

Chris Barcellos

David Newman
December 29th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Thanks Chris, yes that is the point of CineForm tools. While people can try and work with raw M2T files, its a struggle as very few applications have any level of support. Any purchase of a $5k+ camera I can only assume that they are in the content creation business, so $199 purchase that makes content creation much easier seems like a bargin to me; husy as Aspect HD at $499 makes HDV editing real-time within Premiere Pro (saving post-production time and expensive PC upgrade.) We price our tools well below the business value they offer, even with that said we also have many hobbiest using our tools.

Stephen L. Noe
December 29th, 2005, 05:58 PM
hi

Anyone know of any stand alone windows based software for capturing hdv? Is there a windows version of HDVxDV?

Thanks

Trevor
CapDVHS (http://www.yamabe.org/soft/CapDVHS0306e.zip) is what you're looking for. It is free and will capture m2t's.