View Full Version : Book: "Video Shooter" by Barry Braverman

Gints Klimanis
March 7th, 2006, 02:29 AM
I really found this book to be an excellent primer for the digital video shooter.
It covers a broad range of topics and provides a lot of comments from experience.

Video Shooter : Storytelling with DV, HD, and HDV Cameras (DV Expert)
by Barry Braverman

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1578202892/qid=1141719943/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-1925295-6575348?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Ian Stark
March 30th, 2006, 05:08 AM
While I'm no seasoned expert, I believe I have transformed from beginner to savvy shooter. I didn't give this book a second glance as I assumed it was in the Video for Dummies category (nothing wrong with that - just that I've read 'em all!!).

Then in a bored moment hanging out in Waterstones booksellers in Oxford Street I picked it up and flicked through a couple of pages. What I learnt in that ten minutes browsing was enough to make the £25.99 purchase price worth it.

I've just finished reading it for the second time.

OK, there's lots of stuff that you'll get in the For Idiots style books but what Barry does is to help you make informed decisions about how to use the technology to TELL A STORY not just shoot pretty pictures.

He is clearly a very, very experienced shooter and on occasions there are assumptions of knowledge on the readers part that had me looking up other references sources for explanations.

The section on filters and the use of a matte box has cost me nearly £500 today as it made me realise I just HAD to have one. If I had a few grand spare I'd be going down the P+S Mini35 route!

I'm not convinced this is a total beginners book but if you're looking for a second title, or are looking for something with a more aesthetic angle, then this is a very worthwhile read.

One disappointment was the fact that the Barry Braverman website listed in the reference section doesn't seem to exist.

Highly recommended!

J. Stephen McDonald
April 4th, 2006, 03:13 AM
There's thousands of Internet references to Barry Braverman and he seems to have been everywhere and done everything in the video world. But, I couldn't find a single link that led directly to him and that's probably the way he wants it. He could always be sent messages through the various magazines and websites where he contributes articles. He's said to live in Hollywood. He's also written quite a few review articles and books on equipment, shooting, editing and DVD-authoring, that are very informative. There's also another Barry Braverman in the same general field, who was previously a honcho with Walt Disney, or could that actually be the same guy?

Ian Stark
April 4th, 2006, 03:20 AM
Interesting . . . and yet in his own words :

"www.barrybraverman.com - hopefully you'll always find something useful here. Tips on cameras, lighting, lenses and accessories plus craft tips. Always jaded. Always with an attitude."

from his book Video Shooter, published 2005.

Maybe he got hassled by his readers?!