View Full Version : Exporting an Alpha Channel in FCP

John Christensen
January 23rd, 2007, 01:05 PM
Hi, I'm hopping that someone can help me. I have a animated graphic that I made in FCP 5 and I need to export it in a way that the alpha channel can be used on a FCP 4.5 system. The animation is full screen except at the end it opens and you should see the video underneath. It is for a TV special being run in the Twins Cities, MN some time in late March, so any help would be great as my time is running out.

Thanks Much,
John Christensen

Cale Rogers
January 23rd, 2007, 04:06 PM
Hello,

This one's tricky. You could add a background color layer in the composition and key that color out in FCP 4.5. The trick is to make sure that your color key doesn't key out a color in the graphic. Use your scopes to identify a color that will key out nicely, then try a few shades. As a note, you should try using Motion or some other graphics program to develop art for your videos. It's a lot easier with lots of alpha options and the results will look better.

Good Luck,

Mike Schrengohst
January 23rd, 2007, 04:08 PM
Just export using the Animation codec.

Cole McDonald
January 23rd, 2007, 05:57 PM
export the alpha channel as a separate movie, then import into the other app to use as an alpha mask...props to my MN peeps! You live just up the road from me :)

Cale Rogers
January 24th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Wow, I made that out to be much more complicated then it has to be. I've been working with compositing applications in cooperation with FCP for so long that I don't even think about alpha channels or the animation codec anymore. Alpha channels are automatic in Motion file imports and the animation codec is the default in AE. Thanks for the reminder and sorry for the unnecessary complicated tip.