DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 23rd, 2007, 01:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Exporting an Alpha Channel in FCP

Hi, I'm hopping that someone can help me. I have a animated graphic that I made in FCP 5 and I need to export it in a way that the alpha channel can be used on a FCP 4.5 system. The animation is full screen except at the end it opens and you should see the video underneath. It is for a TV special being run in the Twins Cities, MN some time in late March, so any help would be great as my time is running out.

Thanks Much,
John Christensen
John Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 04:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hello,

This one's tricky. You could add a background color layer in the composition and key that color out in FCP 4.5. The trick is to make sure that your color key doesn't key out a color in the graphic. Use your scopes to identify a color that will key out nicely, then try a few shades. As a note, you should try using Motion or some other graphics program to develop art for your videos. It's a lot easier with lots of alpha options and the results will look better.

Good Luck,
Cale Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 04:08 PM   #3
Major Player

Just export using the Animation codec.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 05:57 PM   #4
Trustee

export the alpha channel as a separate movie, then import into the other app to use as an alpha mask...props to my MN peeps! You live just up the road from me :)
Old January 24th, 2007, 11:09 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Wow, I made that out to be much more complicated then it has to be. I've been working with compositing applications in cooperation with FCP for so long that I don't even think about alpha channels or the animation codec anymore. Alpha channels are automatic in Motion file imports and the animation codec is the default in AE. Thanks for the reminder and sorry for the unnecessary complicated tip.
Cale Rogers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite