View Full Version : Cheaper MiniDV Camera to Capture Footage In Order To Reduce Wear On GL2?

Brad Higerd
May 4th, 2003, 07:52 PM
I have a JVC GR-DVL120U, and I would like to use it to capture our GL2 footage in order to spare the GL2 from unnecessary wear. I have compared the capture of identical footage from each device, and I can see no difference. Could there be a difference that I cannot perceive from my subjective test?

Thanks,
Brad

Bill Hardy
May 4th, 2003, 08:01 PM
Are you connecting the cams by firewire and capturing that way? If so DV is DV and I see no reason for diminished quality, as the GL2 sound and video quality are going into the capture camera's tape deck. Good idea if the cam is stationary. You can also easily plug the cam into a 17" Powerbook (like mine) or some other laptop and capture over 2 hours of SP that way.

Joshua Wachs
May 4th, 2003, 09:57 PM
I do the same thing. I use my Sony TRV17 which was/is my first camcorder. Now it's my "deck" and works wonderfully.

Don Palomaki
May 5th, 2003, 03:49 AM
Just avoid LP speed on the original tape. It is not uncommon for LP speed tapes to not play well in different machines.

Brad Higerd
May 5th, 2003, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. If the footage looks the same, I would hate to subject my GL2 to unnecessary wear. It also gives me a reason to keep my JVC.