Cheaper MiniDV Camera to Capture Footage In Order To Reduce Wear On GL2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 4th, 2003, 07:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cheaper MiniDV Camera to Capture Footage In Order To Reduce Wear On GL2?

I have a JVC GR-DVL120U, and I would like to use it to capture our GL2 footage in order to spare the GL2 from unnecessary wear. I have compared the capture of identical footage from each device, and I can see no difference. Could there be a difference that I cannot perceive from my subjective test?

Thanks,
Brad
Brad Higerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2003, 08:01 PM   #2
Major Player

Are you connecting the cams by firewire and capturing that way? If so DV is DV and I see no reason for diminished quality, as the GL2 sound and video quality are going into the capture camera's tape deck. Good idea if the cam is stationary. You can also easily plug the cam into a 17" Powerbook (like mine) or some other laptop and capture over 2 hours of SP that way.
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2003, 09:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I do the same thing. I use my Sony TRV17 which was/is my first camcorder. Now it's my "deck" and works wonderfully.
Old May 5th, 2003, 03:49 AM   #4
Wrangler

Just avoid LP speed on the original tape. It is not uncommon for LP speed tapes to not play well in different machines.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 03:26 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice guys. If the footage looks the same, I would hate to subject my GL2 to unnecessary wear. It also gives me a reason to keep my JVC.
Brad Higerd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders