Possible New Firmware Info at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old April 17th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Possible New Firmware Info

I was at Calumet in San Francisco and was renting a Nikon lens for the weekend to use with my 5D. The rental department manager told me the Canon representative was in the prior week and was talking to him about the 5D and explained that Canon was very surprised at the response the camera has gotten with the film making community. They rushed the video mode out to compete with the D90 and said the video firmware update is going to happen shortly to address some of the issues people are having with manual control.

The exciting thing is that the Canon rep said they are also working on a recording device that will capture a raw image via the HDMI port.

Take it with a grain of salt but it sounded pretty legit.
Jon Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Jon, just to be clear.

Rumors have been floating around for a couple of weeks now that Canon is working on a video camera with an APS-C-sized sensor that would have an optional, external RAW recording device. Are you saying that this RAW device will also work with the Canon 5D Mark II?
Thomas Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #3
Major Player

I dunno.. why would Canon want its $2700 camera to compete with $1000 camera from the competitor? I hope the rumors are true though!
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

This thread isn't information, it's just another rumor; therefore it's been moved to Area 51. It's extremely difficult to believe that they're "working on a recording device that will capture a raw image via the HDMI port" when the HDMI port outputs a heavily compressed signal complete with overlays (with no way to remove them) during recording.

Also, the Convergent Design products were shown in the Canon USA booth last year at NAB; it's highly possible that the device referred to was one of theirs (a third-party Canon partner, not Canon itself).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
This thread isn't information, it's just another rumor; therefore it's been moved to Area 51. It's extremely difficult to believe that they're "working on a recording device that will capture a raw image via the HDMI port" when the HDMI port outputs a heavily compressed signal complete with overlays (with no way to remove them) during recording.
uh, couldn't Canon change the HDMI output and function with the firmware upgrade?
Thomas Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 08:10 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

No way to know for sure whether or not it's possible, but the best information we've received so far is not to expect any changes to the 5D Mk. II's video capability: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-eos...ot-coming.html

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 02:05 AM   #7
Regular Crew

That's definitely something that can be changed in a firmware.
Just give me manual and i'll be happy, and so will anyone that sells used canon lenses!
William Chung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51