DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/atomos-ninja-samurai-shogun/)
-   -   Samurai (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/atomos-ninja-samurai-shogun/498377-samurai.html)

Carl Ny July 12th, 2011 09:53 PM

Samurai

This might be a nice alternative to Nano...?
SDI in and Analog audio in and Lanc too... :-)
The Samurai - HDMI ProRes HD/SD-SDI Recorder

Paul Owens July 13th, 2011 05:00 PM

Re: Samurai

I REALLY want one of these things!!! I joined Atomos's Facebook page days after they opened it strictly because of this product. A DTE recorder that's has a monitor and records to SSD's in a prores codex is just what the Dr. ordered for me. $ is the issue however. If anyone from Atomos reads this... I'd love to test for you and provide feedback. :-)

Simon Wood July 18th, 2011 05:26 AM

The nano has some contingencies that overcame the design flaws of the original XLH1 HD/SDI feed (which was missing timecode and audio in the stream). The work around was to use analog audio (which sounds better than the tape audio on the nano) and timecode out (works very well for triggering the nanoflash from the camera).

I wonder would the Samurai be able to do this too?

Harry Bromley-Davenport September 2nd, 2011 03:19 PM

Hi, Simon.

Have you asked the Samurai people about this yet? I'd be interested to know because I was hoping to buy one to use with my first generation XLH1. I think it's due for release soon.

Best

Harry.

Harry Bromley-Davenport September 5th, 2011 03:59 PM

I got hold of the Samurai people. They are now talking about shipping units in about a month from now.

Harry

Marty Hudzik September 15th, 2011 01:38 PM

Did you get any word on timecode from the XLh1 triggering recording of the actual device or are we limited to using the touch screen? That's less than ideal obviously to have to touch it every time to start and stop a take.

Harry Bromley-Davenport September 15th, 2011 04:03 PM

T/C will apparently trigger it into record. Yes.

The only thing I am a little uncertain of is whether it will start recording on the correct part (or field or whatever it is) of the 60i PsF. Apparently this is something that the Nano people have solved, but the man I spoke with at Atomos, although fairly confident that this would work ok, did not guarantee it. This was a couple of months ago, I guess.

And I certainly don't want to have to have to mess around with that at the start of every shot.

Perhaps you might call them yourself and see if they have a firm answer to this yet.

Best

Harry.

Carl Ny September 16th, 2011 12:28 PM

Lanc maybe..?

Marty Hudzik October 5th, 2011 08:42 AM

I was able to verify that it "should" work with Lanc on cameras that do not send TC start-stop info over SDI such as the original XL-H1 camera. We'll see when it arrives as I pre-ordered this and should have it end of next week....hopefully???

Harry Bromley-Davenport October 6th, 2011 12:40 PM

Hi Marty,

Very interested to hear this. Please post here when you receive and test it. I have an older XLH1 too.

Best,

Harry.

Harry Bromley-Davenport October 9th, 2011 04:19 AM

Marty - please post here when you have tested it. I have an XLH1 and would appreciate a run down of your experience.

Best

Harry