Samurai at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old July 12th, 2011, 09:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Samurai

This might be a nice alternative to Nano...?
SDI in and Analog audio in and Lanc too... :-)
The Samurai - HDMI ProRes HD/SD-SDI Recorder
Carl Ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 05:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Samurai

I REALLY want one of these things!!! I joined Atomos's Facebook page days after they opened it strictly because of this product. A DTE recorder that's has a monitor and records to SSD's in a prores codex is just what the Dr. ordered for me. $ is the issue however. If anyone from Atomos reads this... I'd love to test for you and provide feedback. :-)
Paul Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2011, 05:26 AM   #3
Major Player

The nano has some contingencies that overcame the design flaws of the original XLH1 HD/SDI feed (which was missing timecode and audio in the stream). The work around was to use analog audio (which sounds better than the tape audio on the nano) and timecode out (works very well for triggering the nanoflash from the camera).

I wonder would the Samurai be able to do this too?
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 03:19 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi, Simon.

Have you asked the Samurai people about this yet? I'd be interested to know because I was hoping to buy one to use with my first generation XLH1. I think it's due for release soon.

Best

Harry.
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #5
Major Player

I got hold of the Samurai people. They are now talking about shipping units in about a month from now.

Harry
Old September 15th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #6
Trustee

Did you get any word on timecode from the XLh1 triggering recording of the actual device or are we limited to using the touch screen? That's less than ideal obviously to have to touch it every time to start and stop a take.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 04:03 PM   #7
Major Player

T/C will apparently trigger it into record. Yes.

The only thing I am a little uncertain of is whether it will start recording on the correct part (or field or whatever it is) of the 60i PsF. Apparently this is something that the Nano people have solved, but the man I spoke with at Atomos, although fairly confident that this would work ok, did not guarantee it. This was a couple of months ago, I guess.

And I certainly don't want to have to have to mess around with that at the start of every shot.

Perhaps you might call them yourself and see if they have a firm answer to this yet.

Best

Harry.
Old September 16th, 2011, 12:28 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Lanc maybe..?
Carl Ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2011, 08:42 AM   #9
Trustee

I was able to verify that it "should" work with Lanc on cameras that do not send TC start-stop info over SDI such as the original XL-H1 camera. We'll see when it arrives as I pre-ordered this and should have it end of next week....hopefully???
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #10
Major Player

Hi Marty,

Very interested to hear this. Please post here when you receive and test it. I have an older XLH1 too.

Best,

Harry.
Old October 9th, 2011, 04:19 AM   #11
Major Player

Marty - please post here when you have tested it. I have an XLH1 and would appreciate a run down of your experience.

Best

Harry
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun