Audio not recording to Ninja Blade at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old April 22nd, 2014, 10:01 PM   #1
Major Player

Audio not recording to Ninja Blade

Am I missing something?

I have a Rode StereoVideo mic that I'm pluging directly into the NB. I'm getting my video off the 5Dmiii. Video meters don't move. In the options they are set to record but the meters don't budge. I tried checking the audio with headphones and got nothing.

Any ideas?
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 05:21 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Audio not recording to Ninja Blade

Never mind I mis-read the problem
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 09:10 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Jason,

The audio input on Ninja is LINE IN - it's expecting a line-level signal, not mic-level, so I would guess that is the issue.

Thanks
Old April 25th, 2014, 06:10 AM   #4
Major Player

According to ATOMOS some mics will work, some won't. They have no list of working mics and non-working mics.

With the audio not being delivered over HDMI from the 5DM3, you have to use a line in from the 5DM3 headphone jack into the NB. So, you're recording with the mic into the camera, then the camera passes that signal via the headphone jack into the audio in on the NB.

Unfortunately, with all that done, it still didn't work for me. I was at the big electronics shop with video staff helping me out, ATOMOS on the phone, and after about an hour they said "Send it in, we'll fix it or send you a new one." So, it's being sent in now.
Old April 26th, 2014, 09:38 AM   #5
Trustee

Just tried the Rode on a Samurai Blade and it did 'work' after a fashion although not very satisfactorily. The levels appear in the right hand end of the audio menu near the 'Analogue Gain' controls. Pushed them all the way to +12dB and then the levels start to come up but not sufficiently enough to give you decent recording levels. A loud voice 3" from the Rodent got the levels up but totally no good for normal use. Feed it line level, not a problem. Would like to know what strange breed of mics are supposed to work with these units. Can't see it myself as normal mic levels just won't work with line level inputs.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 08:03 AM   #6
Major Player

Late replying...

I just got around to testing out the setup.

I too had to set it to +12db in order to get just a wee bit of levels movement...I spoke directly into the mic about 10cm away, saw almost no movement, decided to import the footage and listen. With +12db it sounds bad.

I'm also wondering if there's someone out there that has NO ISSUE as far as their Blade + 5D3 and audio.
Old May 21st, 2014, 04:12 AM   #7
Trustee

Jason ~

To the best of my knowledge there is no mic pre amp in the Ninja or Samuri so I don't ever see a mic working without going through a mixer or a level converter first.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2014, 12:31 PM   #8
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McDonald View Post
Late replying...

I just got around to testing out the setup.

I too had to set it to +12db in order to get just a wee bit of levels movement...I spoke directly into the mic about 10cm away, saw almost no movement, decided to import the footage and listen. With +12db it sounds bad.

I'm also wondering if there's someone out there that has NO ISSUE as far as their Blade + 5D3 and audio.
Jason you need a mic preamp like a beachtek or sound devices mix pre-d (excellent). The Rode video mic is designed to plug into the mic level input of a DSLR which is totally different to a +10db line level input. Mic level inputs are higher impedance..
John Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun