Atomos Shogun or Convergent Design Odissey? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old May 28th, 2014, 03:17 PM   #1
Major Player

Atomos Shogun or Convergent Design Odissey?

Hi,
I am planning to record 4K from GH4. Can anyone give a qualified advice on which recorder would fit my needs.
Thank you for your input,
Eugen
Eugen Oprina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 05:36 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Atomos Shogun or Convergent Design Odissey?

Do you plan to purchase the YAGH add-on or not?
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 12:17 AM   #3
Major Player

Sorry, good question :).
Yes, I have already ordered the YAGH interface.
Eugen
Old May 29th, 2014, 07:33 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The YAGH is only compatible with the Shogun via the HDMI port, but so is the microHDMI port on the GH4 body itself.

The Odyssey 7Q will be compatible with the four streams of HD-SDI into it, but you are missing two software features: the first is compressed 4K and the second is the ability to assemble four HD-SDI streams into 4K. There is no way of telling when both of these features will be implemented, and it's possible the Shogun will be available before Odyssey 7Q can record 4K from the GH4 (it can already record 1080p from the GH4). More than likely, the Odyssey will not be compatible with the HDMI 4K option as that will surely require a hardware upgrade to the port, but that remains to be seen.

Currently, the only device capable of recording 4K from the GH4 with the YAGH interface is the AJA Ki Pro Quad.
Old May 30th, 2014, 01:47 AM   #5
Major Player

Thank you very much your answer Gary.
I would also need that the recorder I buy to be able to record ProRes from my Sony F3 dual link SDI out.
Old May 30th, 2014, 06:49 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugen Oprina View Post
I would also need that the recorder I buy to be able to record ProRes from my Sony F3 dual link SDI out.
In that case, I would discount the Shogun as it only has one 6G-SDI connector. Either the Ki Pro Quad or the Odyssey 7Q, however, only the Ki Pro Quad works today. No one will be able to tell you when the Odyssey's software will be updated to do what you want.
Old May 30th, 2014, 03:08 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks again Gary.
I am going to wait for a while, we'll start the next short feature at the end of July. Hopefully Convergent design will come up with an update.
The Ki pro quad is the right tool for what I need but I am not confortable with it's size and weight.
Old May 30th, 2014, 04:39 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I can tell you that the Odyssey won't be ready for your needs by July. I would expect compressed 4K sometime in the fall most likely.
Old July 4th, 2014, 07:19 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
In that case, I would discount the Shogun as it only has one 6G-SDI connector. Either the Ki Pro Quad or the Odyssey 7Q, however, only the Ki Pro Quad works today. No one will be able to tell you when the Odyssey's software will be updated to do what you want.
I am very uncomfortable buying a product that requires a software to do what I want.
Kodak never came thru with the potential promised for the DSC 760 and
Nikon seldom comes up with more than a fix in their firmware updates.
You may be waiting forever and then it will be the nest product that finally does what you need.

I now buy products with no quivel return policies and
if they don't work right out of the box, I return them.
Roger Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2014, 08:19 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugen Oprina View Post
Hi,
I am planning to record 4K from GH4. Can anyone give a qualified advice on which recorder would fit my needs.
GH4 records 4K internally @ 8bit 4:2:0, but if you need 10 bit 422, you can use external recorder, Shogun does 4K 10 bit 422 out of HDMI, so you don't have to buy YAGH for either 8 or 10 bit recording.
Old July 7th, 2014, 08:29 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski View Post
GH4 records 4K internally @ 8bit 4:2:0, but if you need 10 bit 422, you can use external recorder, Shogun does 4K 10 bit 422 out of HDMI, so you don't have to buy YAGH for either 8 or 10 bit recording.
However, considering the feature shoot begins at the end of this month, the Shogun will not be available.
Old July 7th, 2014, 09:20 AM   #12
Trustee

most likely,
but depending on delivery media, it might not even be a sensible option to use 422 as oppose to 420 straight from the GH4, it is surprisingly good looking footage for 8 bit and i wouldn't hesitate to shoot anything on it, especially for the web.
Just take your time, prepare a few picture profiles and expose picture properly.
Old July 7th, 2014, 04:18 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski View Post
it might not even be a sensible option to use 422 as oppose to 420 straight from the GH4, it is surprisingly good looking footage for 8 bit and i wouldn't hesitate to shoot anything on it, especially for the web.
Bitrate is probably more of an issue than the chroma subsampling difference. ProRes HQ in 4K is about 800Mbps. That keeps the macroblocking in 4K down, but it depends on how the movie is going to be mastered. If the final master will be 1080, then I would be less hesitant to shoot in 4K internally for that, though I think I would still shoot 4K downscaled to 1080 over HDMI to a Ninja Blade in 10-bit ProRes HQ for that.

However, if the project is desired to be mastered in 4K, then shooting to the Ki Pro Quad is probably the best option.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun