Can not edit Panasonic AVCHD files?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old April 17th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Can not edit Panasonic AVCHD files??

Whats the big secret with this codec? Just got a HDC SD9 for a project this weekend & now find the best quality files it generates are unreadable in Sony Vagas 8b & the Movie studio (even their latest versions) vlc, Virtual dub, MS media player. Only thing that can play them (but has trouble importing) is the horrible panasonic thing that exports a Mpeg2 file (which they interlace from the original progresive 1080p clip???). I downloaded the coreAVC decoder but it does seem work either with any of the software I have. Im used to Mjpeg avi or Mpeg4 & its a bit of a shock to find that comercial cameras seem to be forcing the customers through hoops to just work with the video. AGGGHHHHHAAA

There has to be a way to just open these mts files & convert them into a simple super easy to edit jpg steam, avi or something???
Phil Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 12:21 PM   #2
Regular Crew

To add to my pain I cant get any files off the camera at all with the new 8GB sd hc card. Cant update XP to take the bigger cards (microsoft does not seem to support Dutch versions) With the usb cable I get a message to use the cable adapter what ever this is? Looks like I will have to take it back.
Phil Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 12:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Stone View Post
Whats the big secret with this codec? Just got a HDC SD9 for a project this weekend & now find the best quality files it generates are unreadable in Sony Vagas 8b & the Movie studio (even their latest versions) vlc, Virtual dub, MS media player. Only thing that can play them (but has trouble importing) is the horrible panasonic thing that exports a Mpeg2 file (which they interlace from the original progresive 1080p clip???). I downloaded the coreAVC decoder but it does seem work either with any of the software I have. Im used to Mjpeg avi or Mpeg4 & its a bit of a shock to find that comercial cameras seem to be forcing the customers through hoops to just work with the video. AGGGHHHHHAAA

There has to be a way to just open these mts files & convert them into a simple super easy to edit jpg steam, avi or something???
This seems to be a really big problem. Panasonic seems to have screwed up big time by not working with consumer NLE vendors like Sony to have editing capability ready in time for the release of the product. It seems like they also didn't include a decent transcoder.

Anyway, until Vegas and other editors support these files properly, you might try a program called Voltaic, that converts the files to a format editable in windows movie maker (and probably Vegas as well):

http://shedworx.com/?q=voltaichdpc

It costs $30, and there are some limitations, such as it mixes the 5.1 sound down to stereo, and it can only handle the first 2GB of large files, so you will need to keep your clips to 2GB for the time being. A trial version is available that will convert files up to 25MB. It's also very slow and uses a lot of temporary disk space, taking approximately 10X real time to transcode, but that's not too big a deal if you're willing to just let it run overnight. For reference, at the highest quality setting (17Mb/s), a 2GB clip would be somewhere around 15 minutes.

There may be other more expensive options, for example, I've heard it's possible to transcode the files using Cineform, but these are temporary issues and it might be better to spend only $30 and put up with the 2GB clip limitation until the NLE vendors have this fixed.
Dave Rosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 12:42 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
To add to my pain I cant get any files off the camera at all with the new 8GB sd hc card. Cant update XP to take the bigger cards (microsoft does not seem to support Dutch versions) With the usb cable I get a message to use the cable adapter what ever this is? Looks like I will have to take it back.
You could try using a dedicated SD card reader instead of using the camera to download the files (that might be what they mean by cable adapter). If you get a recent model card reader with firmware that supports the larger SDHC cards, that may work since the card readers just look like external USB storage to the operating system, and USB storage devices can typically be much greater than 8GB. I don't use Windows, so these suggestions are just guesses.

This might be a problem with other cameras as well, especially if it's an issue with the Dutch version of XP.
Dave Rosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #5
Tourist

Quote:

Hello Phil,

Recently i purchased a SD5 and ran into the same problems as you do. Searching the internet you can read people saying that the AVCHD material deliverd by the SD5 can be edited using numerous of products. I use a pc and have succeeded in editing with Ahead Nero Vision and Pinnacle studio 11 plus.

If you want to play back your recorded material you can use cyberlink powerdvd 8, when you have a graphics card that supports HD (eg Nvidia 8800gt or ATI 3650 and many more) your cpu will have hardly any work.

Remember that the coreavc codec doesn't make use of hardware acceleration of the earlier mentioned graphic cards. Coreavc does work well with mediaplayer classic.
Robert De Wit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 05:54 PM   #6
Tourist

Phil, there's an upgrade to Vegas (I'm using Platinum) which is version 8d, available on the Vegas website, ( http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/updates )that gives you what you need. I'm playing with AVCHD out of an SD5 and have no problems.
I would hope they've also added that to Vegas Pro if thats what you're using.
regards

note: just checked the release notes under VegasPro 8 v8.0b upgrade:
Notable fixes/changes in version 8.0b
* Added support for reading 1920x1080 AVCHD video. 1920x1080 AVCHD files created by Panasonic camcorders are not currently supported.

This is a little confusing, as in Platinum the last 2 version changes were:
Notable Fixes/Changes in Version 8.0d
* Added support for reading 1920x1080 AVCHD video (Vegas Movie Studio Platinum only). 1920x1080 AVCHD files created by Panasonic camcorders are not currently supported.

Notable Fixes/Changes in Version 8.0c
* Added support for Panasonic AVCHD files.
* Fixed a bug that caused the video stream on some .mov files to not play.

Which kind of reads that Panny AVCHD (1920x1080) isn't supported, as though they put it in but took it out again??? but I guarantee it does.

Last edited by Chris Swinbanks; May 6th, 2008 at 06:22 PM. Reason: additional info
Chris Swinbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:30 AM   #7
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Swinbanks View Post
note: just checked the release notes under VegasPro 8 v8.0b upgrade:
Notable fixes/changes in version 8.0b
* Added support for reading 1920x1080 AVCHD video. 1920x1080 AVCHD files created by Panasonic camcorders are not currently supported.
well, am having major problems trying to get Vegas 8 Pro (8.0b) to import any Panasonic AVCHD files. When clicking on the file in order to import it, the CPU usage for Vegas goes to 99% and it sits there like that forever (well, left for an hour with no change).

Am going to have to try Vegas 8 Pro on another machine to see if it's the machine or not!
Richard Portway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 03:39 AM   #8
New Boot

Phil, I use pinnacle studio 11 ultimate for use with the same camera, it's annoying to not be able to use adobe premiere, but I'm sure someone will bring something out soon. I also use as previously suggested, "Voltaic", it exports in 2 formats, either mpeg2 or AVI...but I couldn't get the AVI to work in premiere for some strange reason?

Regards
Ross
Ross McKinnon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion