Importing AVCHD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AVCHD Format Discussion
Inexpensive High Definition H.264 encoding to DVD, Hard Disc or SD Card.

Old January 24th, 2012, 07:03 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Importing AVCHD

The client filmed an event with me using his consumer video camera. He mailed me the SD cards but I don't know how to import the footage. Btw, I'm using a FCP6 on a Mac.

Edit: Nevermind figured it out "Log and Transfer"

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; January 24th, 2012 at 06:31 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Importing AVCHD

Just to add, for your info. Log and Transfer transcodes (converts) original files into Apple's 422 ProRes format, which is much easier for your Mac to handle, but takes up inordinate amount of space.

If you:

1. Have a very powerful Mac;
2. Are constrained for space;
3. Feel the need to eliminate any possible generational image quality loss due to conversion (even if you can't see it),

then you may also want to look into 'Clipwrap', an application that takes the original AVCHD files and just changes the 'wrapper' (small portion of each file) to make it a plain vanila QuickTime file, which FCP can read directly. You get to work with the original video data (rather than a converted copy), but your Mac gets to do much more heavy lifting. Trial is free (re-wraps only first minute of each file); full version is $50.
Predrag Vasic is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > AVCHD Format Discussion