Avid / Pinnacle discussions from 2004 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Closed Thread

Old February 6th, 2004, 02:06 PM   #31
Tourist

Canon GL2 and Xpress Avid DV

New cam and new software: beginner...I am having trouble with auto configure. First I tried with 4x4 pin and then firewire card and adapter (4x6) ...message says: waiting in both cases. Frustrated and wanting to begin logging and creating etc.

many thanks
Old February 6th, 2004, 03:31 PM   #32
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Mac or PC?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Old February 6th, 2004, 03:35 PM   #33
Tourist

xpress avid

pc
Old February 6th, 2004, 03:52 PM   #34
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Thanks Monique. I've moved your thread here for better topical exposure. (Sorry, I'm a Mac/FCP4 user myself so I have nothing to offer you.)

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Old February 10th, 2004, 08:49 AM   #35
Major Player

Avid Express Pro EduPack...

I noticed that at www.videoguys.com they are selling Avid Express Pro to students for $395 (valued at $1695 USMSRP).
I am really excited about this because I'm starting school at Full Sail soon. But is this the true version of Express Pro? Or is it cut down or limited at all?

Here is the link http://www.videoguys.com/avid.html
Old February 10th, 2004, 09:17 AM   #36
Inner Circle

As I understand it, the student version does not include the hard copies of the manuals, (just pdf files) and because they are "student" versions, you are not "licensed" to use them for commercial purposes. This is essentially true of most "student" versions of software. Other than that, I think it's the same version of Xpress Pro. I am not sure if it comes with all the extra goodies... boris, etc. However. Check the Avid site www.avid.com for more info
Old February 10th, 2004, 09:21 AM   #37
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Richard Alvarez : As I understand it, the student version does not include the hard copies of the manuals, (just pdf files) and because they are "student" versions, you are not "licensed" to use them for commercial purposes. This is essentially true of most "student" versions of software. Other than that, I think it's the same version of Xpress Pro. I am not sure if it comes with all the extra goodies... boris, etc. However. Check the Avid site www.avid.com for more info -->>>

I searched around Avid's web site and found nothing on student versions of their software. It makes me wonder if Videoguys.com is just selling the regular Express Pro software to students for cheap as their own sale/deal thing and Avid itself has nothing to do with it.
Old February 10th, 2004, 12:47 PM   #38
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Dustin Waits : -->>>

I searched around Avid's web site and found nothing on student versions of their software. It makes me wonder if Videoguys.com is just selling the regular Express Pro software to students for cheap as their own sale/deal thing and Avid itself has nothing to do with it. -->>>

No.

Avid, as well as Adobe, has Educational Branded software for students and teachers.

As Richard says, it is *not* for commercial use.
Old February 10th, 2004, 01:11 PM   #39
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Mike Gunter : <<<-- Originally posted by Dustin Waits : -->>>

I searched around Avid's web site and found nothing on student versions of their software. It makes me wonder if Videoguys.com is just selling the regular Express Pro software to students for cheap as their own sale/deal thing and Avid itself has nothing to do with it. -->>>

No.

Avid, as well as Adobe, has Educational Branded software for students and teachers.

As Richard says, it is *not* for commercial use. -->>>

Oh okay thanks.
Old February 10th, 2004, 01:15 PM   #40
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

The Avid Student pack is an official Avid product. It is the full Avid Xpress Software application and all Avid utilities / plug-ins. You do not get any of the third party software (ReelDVD le, Sorenson Squeeze, Boris).

If you click on the Education Info link on the Xpress Pro product page it will take you to http://www.avid.com/products/xpresspro/eduPricing.asp

This special version is for student use only. Technically you are supposed to pay more and upgrade to a fully licensed version after school if you intend to edit a professional project with it. I don't know how Avid can possibly know if you don't.

Gary
Videoguys.com
Old February 11th, 2004, 11:50 AM   #41
Major Player

Okay I found the part of Avid's web site that explains the edupack.

Another question though....Will Express Pro run smoothly on my system? On the specifications list ( http://www.avid.com/products/xpresspro/specs.asp#pc ) my pc does not show up.

Here's what I have:

Dell Demension 4500
Windows XP Home
P4 2.4 ghz
1 gig ram
80 gig boot drive
120 gig storage
Nvidia Geforce4 video card
Soundblaster live 5.1 audio
Microsoft firewire card
Old February 11th, 2004, 12:11 PM   #42
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

should run fine on your system. Glad to see the full GB of RAM.

Gary
Old February 13th, 2004, 08:44 AM   #43
Trustee

Parhelia and Avid Xpress

Is anyone using the Parhelia 128 and Avid Express? If so, can you get full screen preview on a TV/monitor when using dual RGB monitors. Matrox provides a software utility for this to work with Premiere, AE, and Photoshop but I'll be using Avid Express Pro and want to be able to preview on my TV without rendering and going through my camera.
Old February 13th, 2004, 11:25 PM   #44
Major Player

It works fine. I use the Parhelia with Avid Xpress Pro and you get full screen preview on the 3rd features monitor. Keep in mind that it will be a single rendered frame, which can fool you when you are working with interlaced footage.
Old February 14th, 2004, 07:24 AM   #45
Trustee

Thanks John,

I mainly want to get the idea of how things will look as I'm working. I guess f or the final check everything will have to be rendered and run through an ADVC to the monitor.

PS check your sig mate
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family