behind the scenes at "No Ordinary Family" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old October 9th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #1
Wrangler

behind the scenes at "No Ordinary Family"

I've just finished up a couple of months at the ABC series "No Ordinary Family", where I operated A camera and Steadicam on first unit and was the DP for the double-ups (additional unit that shot the final day of each episode). I shot about a quarter of next Tuesday's episode. We use two Arri Alexas with Angenieux zooms (12-1 as seen here, plus the two "baby zooms"). Thanks to the sensitivity of the camera, we often shoot at a T4 (even on night exteriors!) which makes it easier for the assistants to manage the long lens shots which we do consistently.
Attached Thumbnails
behind the scenes at "No Ordinary Family"-alexa.jpg  
Old October 9th, 2010, 09:05 PM   #2
Wrangler

Love it, Charles! I don't watch much television, but I'm tuning into next Tuesday's show just to think, "I know the guy who shot about a quarter of this!" :)
Old October 10th, 2010, 12:48 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Charles, always interesting to hear and see your work. Amazing looking rig, what does it weigh?

Any pix of the Steadicam rig?

Cheers.
Old October 10th, 2010, 03:53 AM   #4
Wrangler

I'd guess with the 12-1 as pictured it is somewhere around 50 lbs. The Alexa is pretty light but of course the accessories add up.

In Steadicam configuration with the baby zoom it's quite reasonable. I'd compare it to a 435 or an Arricam LT, maybe even a little lighter.

I did find a pic I took of it a while back. The cables hanging down from top to bottom include the dual-BNC lightweight jumper I use to off the rig, which connects to the heavier duty 150 ft BNC run back to DIT and the HDCAM decks (visible just behind the post, red and blue cables).
Attached Thumbnails
behind the scenes at "No Ordinary Family"-steadialexa.jpg  
Old October 11th, 2010, 03:42 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks for posting. That would be state of the art, I enlarged the pix and studied it for a while, amazing. We'll look for your show No Ordinary Family. Please keep us posted with more.

Cheers.
Old October 20th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #6
Major Player

Very cool - it's one of my favorite shows, kinda like a live action version of "The Incredibles".
Kin Lau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark