The Movie Quote Game - Page 57 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old February 12th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #841
Trustee

Hint: It's a western.
Old February 13th, 2007, 08:20 AM   #842
Obstreperous Rex

Answer: One of my favorite Peckinpah films of all time: The Wild Bunch, from 1969.

Actor delivering the line was Edmond O'Brien. Thanks for that, Hugh!

Hang on while I dig up a quote to throw back at y'all...

By the way, I've moved this thread and the earlier quote game from The TOTEM Poll to Awake In The Dark.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #843
Trustee

Way to go, Chris! One of Edmond Obrien's finest cinematic moments.
Old February 13th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #844
Obstreperous Rex

Okay y'all, it's still my turn. But I gotta ask for clarification on something.

Earlier up in post #328, Mike Horrigan challenged us with this quote:

Quote:
I can see you. I know who you are. I watch you... I KNOW. I am what you see. I am what you watch. I am it. I am the hands. I am the feet. I am the eyes. I am the body. I. AM. (Obvious reference deleted) THE WATCHER. THE FEAR. THE ETERNAL. THE SAINT! You are nothing.
To which, Andy Graham replied in post #330:

Quote:
Citizen Kane, widely regarded as the best movie ever made.
...and promptly took his turn with a challenge of his own. All well and good, but honestly I've been wracking my brain trying to remember exactly where this line is delivered in Citizen Kane. I thought I knew it inside and out, but that particular line really has me stumped. Which scene is it in?

By the way, this thread is now a "sticky."

Old February 13th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #845
Regular Crew

I don't remember the line either from Citizen Kane. Doesn't seem like it's in it either for some reason; kind of a different mood than the movie.

edit: OK, from IMDb - "Charles Foster Kane: I can see you. I know who you are. I watch you... I KNOW. I am what you see. I am what you watch. I am it. I am the hands. I am the feet. I am the eyes. I am the body. I. AM. ROSEBUD. ROOOOSEBUUUD... THE WATCHER. THE FEAR. THE ETERNAL. THE SAINT! You are nothing."

Is this the speech Kane gives when he is on his death bed and he says Rosebud?
Andrew Ott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 08:27 AM   #846
Obstreperous Rex

Well, the quote is listed in the Citizen Kane entry on IMDB at http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033467/quotes

But I'm tellin' ya, I've *never* heard that line anywhere in that movie during the dozens of times I've seen it. I'll take two hours for lunch today and watch the DVD again but I'm pretty sure it's not in there.

IMDB has never been known to have very accurate quotes... often the gist of a line will be there, but not the actual word-for-word verbage. One such example, from the same Citzen Kane page:

IMDB quote: "You can't buy a bag of peanuts in this town without someone writing a song about you."

Actual quote: "You buy a bag of peanuts in this town, and you get a song written about you."

Charlie Kane doesn't give a speech from his death bed... he just says "Rosebud" (and then the glass ball drops to the floor and breaks). He said it one time earlier, upon finding the same glass ball after doing an all-out Keith Moon job on Susan's room. This is according to Raymond, the butler (he knows where all the bodies are buried).

Anybody have any insight? And it's still my turn by the way.

Old February 14th, 2007, 08:37 AM   #847
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd

Charlie Kane doesn't give a speech from his death bed... he just says "Rosebud" (and then the glass ball drops to the floor and breaks). He said it one time earlier, upon finding the same glass ball after doing an all-out Keith Moon job on Susan's room. This is according to Raymond, the butler (he knows where all the bodies are buried).

Anybody have any insight? And it's still my turn by the way.
I remember hearing this quote, maybe it was on a special features disc or something? I can't quite place it.

For what it's worth, I looked up the quote because I couldn't remember it "word for word."

I do know this, all he says at the beginning of the regular version is "Rosebud".

Still, I've heard that quote before. Hence, why I looked it up.

Mike
Old February 14th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #848
Trustee

I knew the quote was associated with the movie only because it was a sticking point for a movie trivia round I played with some friends some long time ago. All of us were involved with production and had alot of experience memorizing film lines. One of them presented this particular line and had us all stumped for days and we all had to forfeit.

We did the same thing. Most of us had seen the film and STUDIED it at length, although for me I hadn't seen it in a LOOONNNGGG time, but I was one of the ones who originally argued against the line. We went through it every way imaginable:

Was it a succession of speakers in a chaotic audio stream? ( a technique Welles 'fostered' to aide narrative transitions)

Was it embedded through a succession of newspaper headlines or clippings? (quasi-quotes as they are not spoken?)

I couldn't place it and I put up a fight. The player in question finally presented a print-out of movie quotes, but I don't know the source. I also cannot remember him officially placing it in the movie,(ie: acting out the scene from which is came) and if I had to guess, I would suspect it was from a piece that probably didn't make the final theatrical release but was 'explored' on one of the segments of the 2 disc special features edition that examines the movie and its production. If so, then I can see Kane saying half of the quote, but not all of it, and thusly can understand why it was cut. I also don't see it as part of a potential part of the 'American' speech as it doesn't feel right for the flow, but I can see part of it as part of an impassioned arguement in which Kane derides his many critics.

In any case, I immediately associated the quote to the movie due to its having messed up a perfectly good trivia game once before. I don't think we ever got that one settled, but now with the power of the internet, I am certainly curious about getting it settled this time.
UPDATE: Before posting this, I just ran a lengthy search and found this quote listed online from a number of sources, but at a cursory glance they all seem to be a cut & paste job sourcing from the same material - perhaps an erroneous post to the imdb site? Maybe even an intentional hoax??? If so, what I would give to go back in time to the earlier game I had to forfeit!!!

I don't know, but based on the placement of the quote, it suggests perhaps in the earlier segments of the film - which doesn't correspond to anything in my own memory.

I just spent morning browsing through an online version of the script and also couldn't find it listed in there anywhere.

Does anyone know if it was from a cut scene that is explored in a DVD feature? (I assumed the theatrical release was the 'director's cut)

Just curious.

-Jon
Old February 14th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #849
Trustee

Also, if it turns out to be from a 'special feature', I don't think it can really qualify as a quote from the movie.

-Jon
Old February 14th, 2007, 11:22 AM   #850
Major Player

I was pretty sure that the only time Kane said the word Rosebud was on his deathbed. But is has been a while.

EDIT - oops, yeah, I forgot about the snowglobe.
Old February 14th, 2007, 12:01 PM   #851
Obstreperous Rex

I've got a copy of Pauline Kael's Citizen Kane Book which contains both the complete shooting script by Mankiewicz & Welles plus the final cutting continuity from RKO, and those lines are not in there (and they're definitely not in the film, either). At this point I'm leaning toward the IMDB hoax theory: somebody probably submitted the bogus lines as a joke, and they were most likely published automatically without any fact checking on IMDB's side.

There are hardly any "deleted scenes" from Kane that were actually filmed. Robert L. Carringer's book "The Making of Citizen Kane" has an appendix devoted to pre-production sketches of scenes that didn't make the final script, back when it was called "American," mostly dealing with Kane's first wife Emily and the death of their son Howard. However there was a brothel sequence called "Georgie's Place" that made it through photography, which after an objection from the Hays Office was re-worked as the Inquirer celebration.

Old February 14th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #852
Trustee

ha ha...thanks for your insightful post, Chris. I can't wait to print it out and send it to my old friend who caused such a stir in my old game. I haven't seen him in a long time so it will be unexpected to 'revisit' the issue. You know what they say; "Time wounds all heels."

I'm am now of the accord that imdb was hoaxed. Then it got picked up by Amazon, and from there, numerous other sources began referencing it. It will now forever be associated with the film, yet was never even a part of its production. I would never have considered it had it not been for the quote having surfaced before.

FWIW, I would personnaly prefer posters initiate rounds by posting quotes they are personally familiar with and can reference actor and scene if necessary as opposed to having found it on the net and copied it over. What strikes me about this one is that of all the references I have seen of it, they all seem to be identical in terms of punctuations and capitalizations - which are fairly complex for this quote, so the single source hoax seems to make sense to me.

-Jon
Old February 14th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #853
Obstreperous Rex

Well, I went ahead and created an error ticket for IMDB asking them to remove it from their Citizen Kane quotes page (my note reads bogus lines -- this quote is fake and does not appear in Citizen Kane). Supposedly it'll take two to four weeks for an IMDB editor to review and approve or deny the correction. Honestly I can't believe this hasn't been caught before... or maybe it has, and the hoaxer keeps submitting those lines? Which would indicate that IMDB might be a little sloppy regarding that process. We'll see soon enough I guess.

Meanwhile I'll have a movie quote game challenge for you shortly...

Old February 14th, 2007, 08:21 PM   #854
Obstreperous Rex

Okay, you won't find this quote on IMDB. Two hints: it's an Academy Award winning black and white classic, and it's a true story.

Shorty: "Ted! Ted! Hey, Ted! Ted! Hey! Put these someplace, will ya?"

Ted: "What are they?"

Shorty: "Sizzle platters! I got the phonograph in my ship but I haven't got room for the records. We'll meet in Chungking and cut a Chinese rug!"

Ted: "Okay, Shorty!"

Bonus Questions: What's happening during this dialog? And later on, Ted won't be able to cut a rug. Why?

Old February 15th, 2007, 07:47 AM   #855
Obstreperous Rex

Bud: "Hey, Army! Hey, Ted! Give 'em hell for me!"

Ted: "When we get to Chungking we'll tell 'em it was a Navy show too!"

Bud: "They'll know that when they see how broke you are! Good hunting!"

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark