Has anyone seen "28 days Later" directed by Danny Boyle - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old April 7th, 2005, 02:48 AM   #166

By the way, was 28 days gross mentioned world wide gross or just u.s.
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 08:39 AM   #167
Inner Circle

Only the end was shot on 35mm, the epilogue with the plane.
If that helps you :-)
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 02:37 PM   #168
Major Player

I loved this film; and if I wanted to scrutinize the image quality; sure, I could say it is not impressive. But this is where "Content is King' comes into play; does it really matter? 5 Minutes into the film as the Monkeys attack and the young activist woman stares at the camera growling with red eyes and it doesnt matter cause I'm already hooked into the film.

Interesting point on the sound Lawrence; The Sound on this picture was excellent and AUDIO is something I concentrate on in my own attemts at filmmaking as I know all to well the importance.

I'll say one thing; when I found out it was shot on DV it reawakened my dream of filmmaking that I had almost completely given up on (I was 32 at the time). It also helped serve the revival of the undead genre; along with Resident Evil games of course.

The question at hand?

I don't think it was lame to shoot Mini DV on this picture. It does seem to work very well for the given subject matter. Sides; I might not have gotten back into filmmaking if it hadn't! ;) :O :)
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 07:56 PM   #169
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Laurence Maher : By the way, was 28 days gross mentioned world wide gross or just u.s. -->>>

$35m international + $45m US, more or less. The link I posted above has more details.
Old April 7th, 2005, 08:01 PM   #170
Capt. Quirk

"Burt Wilson: I thought you said that if we destroyed the brain, it would die.
Frank: It worked in the movie.
Burt Wilson: Well it ain't working now Frank.
Freddy: You mean the movie lied?"

And what movie was this from?? And on a similar topic, I believe Shawn of the Dead was also shot on digital. Either way, it was great!
Old April 7th, 2005, 08:08 PM   #171
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Forman : "Burt Wilson: I thought you said that if we destroyed the brain, it would die.
Frank: It worked in the movie.
Burt Wilson: Well it ain't working now Frank.
Freddy: You mean the movie lied?"

And what movie was this from?? And on a similar topic, I believe Shawn of the Dead was also shot on digital. Either way, it was great! -->>>

Oh too easy! Return Of The Living Dead. :)
Old April 7th, 2005, 08:12 PM   #172
Capt. Quirk

That just didn't sound familiar, and I'm pretty sure I saw it.
Old April 7th, 2005, 09:01 PM   #173
Major Player

LOL

One of my guilty pleasures.

SHAUN was shot Arri 35 from what I know?
Old April 7th, 2005, 11:44 PM   #174
RED Problem Solver

What was wrong about 28days... being on DV was that they did it to intentionally make the picture quality bad. They say "edgy" - I just call a spade a spade (Anyone here from Yorkshire? - I'm not, but it's a very common saying there) and call it bad.

I've seen DV transferred to 35mm with the intention of making it look as good as possible, and it actually looks quite good. You do a number of things to help, and one of those is turn the sharpness down. In 28days... the sharpness was up full, making each and every pixel stand out on the cinema screen, and each and every character have a black or white halo of "unsharp mask" around them.

As someone who develops software to try and make DV look as good as possible, it pains me to see someone do everything possible to make DV look bad. 28days... was just the worst advert picture quality-wise for anyone wanting to make a DV feature.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 12:16 AM   #175
Major Player

I havent seen too many example of fine work theatrically when using DV; I am looking forward to NOVEMBER however.
Old April 8th, 2005, 12:18 PM   #176
Major Player

Thought this was interesting...

http://www.imdb.com/SearchTechnical?CAM:Canon%20XL-1S
Old April 8th, 2005, 12:24 PM   #177
Major Player

I saw an interview when the movie came out... I am forgetting now if it was with the director or the DP, but one of them. They said (basically):

"We wanted the look of DV. We had the budget, we could have shot on film if we wanted it to look like film, but we didn't."

What could be lame about that?
Old April 8th, 2005, 12:41 PM   #178
Major Player

To be fair, though, at the time they made the film there wasn't a lot known about the best way to go from DV to Film. They learned a lot of stuff as they went - they made some choices which, in hind sight weren't the best, but seemed like the best choices at the time.

On my 65" TV, the picture looks just fine. It looks like video, but it doesn't look bad. It's well lit, it's well composed, the camera movement is well designed. If it may not have the inherent picture quality of 35, it certainly doesn't suffer from it.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 12:59 PM   #179
RED Problem Solver

I'd completely disagree that people didn't know how to take DV to film!!! People have been taking SD PAL video to film for ages, especially commercials for cinemas and exactly the same rules apply about not applying objectionable sharpening in the SD video, but uprezzing to HD by a decent algorithm, and then, if necessary adding some sharpening. The look of that movie was intentionally bad.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2005, 06:25 AM   #180

Well it makes sense that it was the ending on 35mm. I DEFINITELY remember the scene coming up and going, "now this has to be a different format," and assumed 35. This was before I saw the commentary and it made me think that they didn't like the ending they origianaly have and re-shot a new one due to test audiences or something.

Barry . . .

You said that they said dv was the preferred look even though they admitted they had the budget to shoot on 35. Then you asked . . .

"What could be lame about that."

Answer:

They shot on dv when they had the budget for 35.

I'm with ya Graeme. I'm with ya.
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark