Has anyone seen "28 days Later" directed by Danny Boyle - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old December 31st, 2003, 12:38 PM   #106
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Graeme Nattress : Because they didn't care one jot about picture quality. -->>>

What?
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2003, 01:47 PM   #107
Obstreperous Rex

The deal is, they were going after a particular kind of look. The end result doesn't jive with everyone's idea of a high quality image, that's what Graeme is saying, at least not in his opinion.

I thought 28 Days looked sketchy on the big screen in the theaters, but looks fine on the small screen from my DVD player. Just my own opinion, though.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2003, 02:29 PM   #108
Major Player

I agree Chris. On the big screen it was very grainy and saturated. They also shot with a high shutter speed.

On my DVD layer it looks amazing.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2003, 04:38 PM   #109
Wrangler

I saw the film in a theatre and really liked it, have not seen the DVD. I think Chris sums it up pretty well though, they wanted (for whatever reason) a certain "look". But I also find this kind of ironic. Much of the talk around here centers on how to make DV look more like film. In this case I feel they wanted to make film look more like DV! They had a large enough budget to shoot on film if desired, or they could have shot on HD, or even with better quality 16:9 DV. But for artistic reasons they chose to use the XL-1. It was a pretty gutsy thing to do, gave the film a very distinctive appearance, and I applaud them for having the nerve to pull it off!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2004, 03:11 PM   #110
RED Code Chef

I recently saw the movie on DVD and thought it looked very nice.
Didn't notice much video look at all.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 07:32 AM   #111
Major Player

Im annoyed

Just watched 28 days later on DVD as i have been hanging out on it for ages, because its shot on XL1s. But the end result is not xl1s- its xl1s on 35mm.

Its almost like "reverse AGUS 35" (not really but you no what i mean).

Im annoyed because they always claim its shot on DV, same with Full frontal, but its almost as if your putting an xl1 on the end of a panavision.

All this bs marketing in the magazines about it, what they dont tell is the 35mm part, and im sure if you bought the cam on the promise of this ,(without any knowledge of DV) and then shot the film and didnt look like "full frontal" , you could sue the ASS of canon! (well atleast in america maybe).

Anyway,i think they should say "shot on dv35" or something like that instead of saying DV because it aint.

I Welcome any responses on this subject,( and i understand about magic bullet etc et,)

CHeers,
Ben Gurvich
Ben Gurvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 08:14 AM   #112
RED Code Chef

I'm a bit confused as to what point you have a problem with.
Wasn't it shot on XL1S with the 35mm adapter? If so it is still
shot on DV. Only with a different lens system. To the best of
my knowledge it was still SD resolution and all.

Can you elaborate a bit better and stick to facts (instead of
emotion)? I'm confused.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 08:25 AM   #113
Major Player

yes but when u transfer it to film, it becomes film, and the dvd tranfer is off the negative right, so it takes on the motion of film and grain.

so in the end it looks like film becuase it is on film.
Old March 24th, 2004, 08:49 AM   #114
Major Player

The bigger difference is a lot of time/money/effort was spent in post-processing of the xl1s image. Transferring to 35mm should not be a complaint.

I wish people would get over this 'grain' thing with film. It's like saying you need to add noise and artifacts for an image to be video.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 09:03 AM   #115
Major Player

Regardless of what you want to call it, the image was ultimately captured on a DV tape...shot on DV...end of story. This has nothing to do with the lenses used on the camera or how the final product is being projected.

The picture, in the film you are describing looks the way it does due to better quality of lenses and professional lighting.

The transfer to film does not add the almighty "film look". If you went out into your back yard and shot with a standard, out of the box, Canon XL-1s package and transfered it to film, that is exactly what you are going to get.

The transfer to 35mm is needed because the huge majority of theaters across the country are still projecting film, not video. It would be silly for a Director or Studio to refuse to transfer to film as it would severely affect the almighty PROFIT MARGIN.

So, take a deep breath, and enjoy the movie!

RB
Old March 24th, 2004, 09:05 AM   #116
Major Player

dont u feel once its transferred onto film, it take on the film like moving qualites of the shot?

also id be very interested to seeing the online edit before going out 35mm.

(the good thing about rodriguez is he gives u the HD file not the 35mm print transferred onto film. so u can really see how good HD is)
Old March 24th, 2004, 09:06 AM   #117
Major Player

I was impressed as all hell with the end result.

It really showed what you could do with DV and specifically the XL1s.

that it was transfered over onto film is a minor point to me.

It was made on a "consumer" DV camera, not a 4:2:2 high end DV camera and it was made for, in what hollywood would consider, a low budget.
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 09:32 AM   #118
Obstreperous Rex

28 Days Later had some funky DV artifacting and soft wide shots in the first half (the city scenes) when I saw it on the big screen, but I was still impressed with what standard-def DV could accomplish. The point is, the aquisition was all DV. Thankfully it didn't look anything like the DV parts of Full Frontal -- Soderbergh really dumbed it down, it looked horrible, kind of like VHS-C especially compared to the other 65% of the scenes shot in Panavision.

28 Days Later was not made with Panavision glass nor did they use the P+S Technik Mini35. Still thought it looked great for what it was, though.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 09:38 AM   #119
Major Player

28 days later moves like film. Magic bullet is good but i reckon coming of 35mm telecine adds the motion fixing to it, infact i know it helps cause i have seen it myself, in my own experience. Also transferring to 35mm makes it 24p more film like motion.

I challenge someone to post something on the xl1s that looks as good as "28 days later",

The examples on here ive seen are close, infact there pretty damn good. The best i can think of is "Precursor", but it still moved like video
Old March 24th, 2004, 10:14 AM   #120
RED Problem Solver

I'd say that I'd challenge someone to make DV look as BAD as 28days later. Look at the massive amounts of edge enhancement. Look at how badly the scaling up to film was handled - just very basic interpolation - nothing special. The quality was deliberately dirtied before transfer to 35mm to give it a "gritty" feel.

I've seen some SD to film transfers which look much superior to 28 days. To me, 28 days shows how not to transfer DV to film!

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark