Who do you think the greatest director of all time is and why? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old June 13th, 2006, 12:26 AM   #46
Trustee

If I remember correctly, the German soldier said something along the lines of "Don't resist, it'll be easier that way."
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 05:34 PM   #47
Regular Crew

I would have to say Howard Hawkes. He directed a large number of the classics: westerns (Red River, Rio Lobo), horror (The Thing), comedy (His Girl Friday, Bringing Up Baby), crime (Scarface, The Big Sleep), war (Sgt. York), drama (To Have and Have Not), and that's just scratching the surface.
Jeremiah Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2006, 08:25 PM   #48
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emre Safak
If I remember correctly, the German soldier said something along the lines of "Don't resist, it'll be easier that way."
See. Exactly the kind of nice, caring, line, I'd like to hear before someone stabbed me in the heart...
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2006, 11:22 PM   #49
Regular Crew

Quote: "See. Exactly the kind of nice, caring, line, I'd like to hear before someone stabbed me in the heart..."

I had an ex-girlfriend like that once. . . . .
Jeremiah Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 02:23 PM   #50
Trustee

Best Director?

Obviously, this is solely a matter of personal taste, of course, because any director strikes a chord within each of us. We all know that we like movies because of the emotional charge and personal message we get from particular movies.

Mr Foreman: I met Kevin Smith. You are correct in saying he is one of us, but man, does he curse up a storm. He uses the "F" work every fourth word! He loves to curse and talk about sex. And I mean he utters all of the slanguage he can possibly use to describe every kind of sexual encounter! The college kids love him. He gave a lecture at our local state colege two months back.

However, in my personal opinion, Sam Peckinpah is one helluva director. He walked the walk and talked the talk. As a testimony to his talent, no matter how deeply people hated him (and believe me, some people wanted to kill him, including Charlton Heston during the making of Major Dundee) they knew that after working with him on a production, they were going to come away with the experience of a lifetime in having seen a master at work. His common theme was "Man out of synchronization with the times." His characters were mostly the underdog, the loser, but loyalty and friendship meant something, always came first. His motion pictures move me.

Emre: I think the German soldier said to the American, in German: "Go to sleep. Just go to sleep." My Jewish friend's father told me that.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 03:31 PM   #51
Regular Crew

Hmmmm... No one has mentioned Luis Bunel yet. Definitely one of the greats.
Frank Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 03:38 PM   #52
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Howard
Hmmmm... No one has mentioned Luis Bunel yet. Definitely one of the greats.
I tried to like his work, but he makes it so hard. The ending of Diary of a Chambermaid was unforgivably bad. If anyone did that today, he would be committing commercial suicide. His works are supposed to be scathing satires, but I think it they lack bite by today's standards.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 03:48 PM   #53
Regular Crew

Peter Greenaway perhapse? Billie wilder?
Old June 23rd, 2006, 04:04 PM   #54
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emre Safak
I tried to like his work, but he makes it so hard. The ending of Diary of a Chambermaid was unforgivably bad. If anyone did that today, he would be committing commercial suicide. His works are supposed to be scathing satires, but I think it they lack bite by today's standards.
Erm... Diary of a Chambermaid was Renoir not Bunuel. And I would definitely say Bunuel's work has plenty of bite by today's standards.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 04:08 PM   #55
Trustee

Quote:
Erm... [I]Diary of a Chambermaid[I] was Renoir not Bunuel. And I would definitely say Bunuel's work has plenty of bite by today's standards.
Bite this :)
Old June 23rd, 2006, 04:16 PM   #56
Regular Crew

Wow. I thought you were talking about Renoir's version (which was abominable), and I didn't even know Bunuel had done a version of it (why would be another question).
I looked it up and people were indeed calling it his weakest moment by far. Including the commissioned movies he had to make just to put bread on the table...

Try Un Chien Andalou and see if that has bite. Tee hee...

But seriously Emre, he did some truly great movies.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 04:43 PM   #57
Trustee

Quote:
Try Un Chien Andalou and see if that has bite. Tee hee...
What a groaner! I shouldn't have set up that joke.
Old June 24th, 2006, 05:56 PM   #58
Regular Crew

Sorry Emre!

No, but seriously, Buñuel made some of the wildest movies around. For example, his L'Age D'Or was banned in France for 50 years (until 1979) and caused riots when it was first shown. But most of his stuff doesn't seem to have ever had great commercial potential, as it is pretty surreal (not surprising as he was one of the original Surrealists). And he never lost his personal edge.
While my views may run counter to many, I would personally nominate him as one of the greatest directors of all time.
Old June 25th, 2006, 10:12 PM   #59
Major Player

David Lean for 'Lawrence of Arabia'. A four hour twenty masterpiece.

Sure it's over 40yrs old. Every shot perfectly framed. An epic of all proportions made in the days when film makers made films the hard way battling against natures elements. In this case the desert with it's dust storms, heat and chilling nights.

No computer effects to get you out of a hole, and, if you needed a cast of thousands you hired a cast of thousands.

As a footnote: In the extra features on the dvd Steven Spielberg says it's the film that inspired him the most as a boy. He likes to replay it before making a film.
Old July 14th, 2006, 10:23 PM   #60
Regular Crew

John Cassavetes, hands down the best director in my book. A woman Under the Influence, Faces, Opening Night, Husbands, The Killing of A Chinese Bookie, Shadows, etc. etc.... the man was special.

Francois Truffaut is great. The 400 Blows, Jules and Jim, Shoot the Piano Player, etc.

John Ford is wonderful. The Searchers is by far one of the most emotional movies I've ever seen. That last shot of Ethan and the others standing in the doorway brings chills.

Orson Welles, of course! Not only for Citizen Kane, but just look at Touch of Evil, The Lady from Shanghai or F for Fake....

Woody Allen too. I don't care if some of his recent movies aren't 'Great'... he gave us Annie Hall, Manhattan, Sleeper, Bananas.... he earned his respect!
Joe Winchester is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark