Who do you think the greatest director of all time is and why? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old June 3rd, 2006, 04:33 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornady Setiawan
also Night Shyamalan, etc.
Forgot about him! Great director too with a complete own visual style!
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 12:58 PM   #17
Major Player

I will go see anything by Luc Besson.
He's my fav.
Chris Luker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 03:34 PM   #18
Trustee

People slag Speilberg off all the time cause he's all "Hollywood" but when I first read this thread, I looked back in my mind to all the films I've enjoyed over the years from a single director and he came out on top.

Watched Jaws last night again - great film.
Always loved ET - I still cry when I see that ugly little beggar get all sick.
Indiana Jones - Ultimate adventure movie
Jurassic Park - Dinosaurs!
Minority Report - Good adaptation of a book by my favourite author

Duel - I'll just forget about that one ;)

Aaron
Old June 5th, 2006, 06:45 PM   #19
Outer Circle

I always liked Alfred Hitchcock.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 06:52 PM   #20
RED Problem Solver

Rudolf Cartier - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0174444/ - a TV pioneer, who made such fantastic dramas with next to nothing in the way of technology. His 1984 is a true television classic that always amazes me how much feeling can be got across with such crude technology.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 07:33 PM   #21
Major Player

For Direction, and cinematography: Akira Kurosawa.

For just basic direction: Hitchcock. I think, no matter what you make of him, he always told the story through the pictures. In essence, if you do your film literacy and history, he started the Speilberg style. The best example is "Psycho" when the Private eye goes into the house, he looks left, then we see it, he looks up, we see it, he looks right, we see it... then, a door opens, and we think its one of the two doors on the left or right.... NO! ITS THE ONE ON THE TOP OF THE STAIRS!!!! OMG OMG!!! NOOOOOOOOO...... oh... hes dead.

That kind of direction is what made hitchcock, and gave modern day directors a foundation to work with. If it wanst for Hitchcock, Jaws would have been a very bad movie, the film is littered with Hitchcockness...
Leo Pepingco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 08:25 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Kubrick, Ridley Scott and Akira Kurosawa
Shervin Mandgaryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 08:49 PM   #23
Major Player

You know, I would have normally put Ridly Scott in my list, but ever since Bladerunner, I really didnt have a lot of praise left for him. Dont get me wrong, I like the film, its really good, but I think there is a balance between a literary film and a popular film. It just never did well, and there were so many bad reviews written about it at the time of release.

Maybe someone can change my mind?
Leo Pepingco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 09:14 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Well, as much as you might not like his movies, modern cenima starts with D.W. Griffith. Yes other people at the time were doing some inturesting stuff. But Griffith is realy the first one to but it together, amek it work, and use the basics of what we all know as cinema. He is dated now, but he deserves credit for what he did for all of us in terms of film work (not subject matter)

Hitchcock is good, for a director he's up there at the top.(you have to say that he stoped with the birds tho.)

Orson Wells is brilliant, try watching F for Fake.

Nick Roeg, give walkabout a spin.

Best use of FX I'd have to go with kubrick, take a look at 2001, it's still amazing after all these years...with 0 computers, now thats true film work!
Old June 5th, 2006, 11:19 PM   #25
Air China Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Pepingco
You know, I would have normally put Ridly Scott in my list, but ever since Bladerunner, I really didnt have a lot of praise left for him. Dont get me wrong, I like the film, its really good, but I think there is a balance between a literary film and a popular film. It just never did well, and there were so many bad reviews written about it at the time of release.
Maybe someone can change my mind?
Feel free to criticize "Blade Runner" but the criteria you are using shouldn't matter. Popularity in the box office and other people's reviews shouldn't factor in what is a question of personal opinion.
Old June 6th, 2006, 12:05 AM   #26
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Koolen
People slag Speilberg off all the time cause he's all "Hollywood" but when I first read this thread, I looked back in my mind to all the films I've enjoyed over the years from a single director and he came out on top.

I like your point. If I was stuck on a desert island and could only watch the films of one director, I'd choose... uh, who was the guy that made Debbie Does Dallas? Anyway, after him I'd choose Speilberg.
Old June 6th, 2006, 02:21 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Kubrick. You could print any frame from Barry Lyndon and hang it in your home.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 04:01 AM   #28
Major Player

Kubrick, Scorsese, Kurosawa are my top three. I also like Steven Spielberg, George Miller, Alfred Hitchcock, Ridley Scott, Orson Welles, Sam Peckinpah, and Walter Hill. William Friedkin and Paul Schrader did some classic films in the 70's and 80's. Both don't get enough credit. For newer blood I like Chan-wook Park, Zhang Yimou, Paul Thomas Anderson, Seung-wan Ryoo, David Fincher, Alexander Payne, Wes Anderson, and Wayne Kramer to name a few.

Did anybody see "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada"? Great film, directed by Tommy Lee Jones.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 07:07 AM   #29
Wrangler

i've never seen a film by sidney lumet which i have not liked.

i can't say this about any other single director....

plus, he is willing to take on challenging material with a light touch...like that about him, too....he has had amazing success over a long, storied career, not just made a handful of good films among the dreck. for consistency, he's hard to beat....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 07:36 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper
I like your point. If I was stuck on a desert island and could only watch the films of one director, I'd choose... uh, who was the guy that made Debbie Does Dallas? Anyway, after him I'd choose Speilberg.
LOL!!

For a great article about spielberg, try this, it talks about him being so popular, many people don't like him while he still remains one of the most talented directors in the world - to my opinion. Check it out, it's really great and informative:

http://www.sensesofcinema.com/conten...spielberg.html
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark