DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

BlackMagic Cinema Camera
EF & MFT lens mount / 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW

Old December 1st, 2013, 03:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

BMPCC Sunset

Anacortes, WA was presented with a beautiful treat on Thanksgiving. Shot on the pocket.

Forrest Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 09:33 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: BMPCC Sunset

Beautiful!

I imagine the stuttering in the pan shots was due either to Vimeo compression or bandwidth issues. Is it smooth in your cut of the piece?

Details on the process - ProRes or the new Raw? Color grading?
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 09:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Richard View Post
Beautiful!

I imagine the stuttering in the pan shots was due either to Vimeo compression or bandwidth issues. Is it smooth in your cut of the piece?

Details on the process - ProRes or the new Raw? Color grading?

Hi John,

The stuttering is mostly a bandwidth issue I would think, maybe a little bit of Vimeo compression. I shot at 23.976, so pans will naturally have a bit of a stutter to them due to the frame rate. It is definitely not nearly as bad when I'm playing off the timeline. When I played it directly from the Timeline on my high end Samsung 55" LED TV it looks stunning. The TV's high refresh rate smooths the pans out quite nicely.

The workflow was: RAW recording at 400 ASA, import into Adobe Camera RAW for the grade, then export to Motion to make ProRes HQ movies, then edit in FCPX. I've been messing around with Resolve, but am not comfortable enough with it yet to do a decent grade. I want to get better at it so I can render the movies out while retaining the timecode of original clips. I'm new to RAW so if anyone knows how to retain the timecode without going to Resolve I'm all ears.
Old December 5th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #4
Major Player

Those are cool looking shots. I would love to live up there.
Mark Koha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2014, 05:21 AM   #5
Major Player

It's pretty amazing that such a small cam can do such great footage. Glad I ordered one!

What lens did you use?
Jamie Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2014, 06:27 PM   #6
Major Player

Lovely work Forrest. I was very tempted by the BMPCC but it was sadly outside my budget. Your work certainly makes me sure I was correct in wanting one.

How are you going with Resolve? I have used it on a couple of my productions and find it quite easy and pleasing in its results. I have only done basic stuff with it as yet, so maybe the frustration will set in as I try to do more complex trickery?

(P.S. The "other" WA)
Old March 22nd, 2014, 10:33 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Roberts View Post
It's pretty amazing that such a small cam can do such great footage. Glad I ordered one!

What lens did you use?
Hi Jamie,

Sorry I didn't respond earlier...been busy. I used both the Panasonic 12-35 and 35-100. Both very nice lenses for the pocket.
Old March 22nd, 2014, 10:46 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Lewis View Post
Lovely work Forrest. I was very tempted by the BMPCC but it was sadly outside my budget. Your work certainly makes me sure I was correct in wanting one.

How are you going with Resolve? I have used it on a couple of my productions and find it quite easy and pleasing in its results. I have only done basic stuff with it as yet, so maybe the frustration will set in as I try to do more complex trickery?

(P.S. The "other" WA)
Hi Tim,

I am definitely loving the BMPCC. I also have two Panasonic GH3's that are hardly getting any use now, although they are still valuable tools to have. The BMPCC just has a more film-like look. I'm also a little disappointed by footage that I'm seeing from the GH4. The 4K images are sharp but seem to have a very video-like look to them...but, I guess that's for another thread!

I'm getting better at Resolve. It's a great piece of software that is very deep. I'm just kind of scratching the surface as I'm not a colorist by any means. But, some of the nice LUT's out there give you a good starting point.

Lots of focus on Perth right now...must be swarming with news people.

Cheers,

Forrest
Old March 28th, 2014, 02:19 AM   #9
New Boot

Lovely colours and amazing place Forrest! I've been trying out grading Prores footage in Davinci to prepare for my BMPCC. Its MUCH more flexible to grade compared to the H.264 I've been used to but I'm getting a few flickers at the top of the video when I render it out after the color grade... nothing in the previews though only the rendered output.
Vineet Radhakrishnan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera