No Blu-Ray for Macs coming soon..... - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 3rd, 2008, 10:57 AM   #76
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
As we move away from the tape medium towards file based video, FW is no longer a necessity for sustaining high data rates.
-gb-
So this brings something up that I have wondered about. Why couldn't someone have developed a high speed tape reader- one that would pull the digital information off a DV Tape at 4 x speed, or something like that. Is it a physical limitation on the tape itself, or a technical issue with the data stream ? Any geeks out there know why ?
Old November 3rd, 2008, 02:30 PM   #77
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski View Post
Consider this, what do the majority of people who buy flat panels hook it up to? A hi-def source? No way, they hook it up to a DVD player, cable TV, or as my neighbor has done hooked it up in the kitchen with an antenna. Even though the required video scaling always looks worse than if they'd stuck with a CRT TV. But convenience is a big factor, and the low profile of flat panels is very convenient and probably the biggest selling point.

Same goes for buyers of computer LCD monitors vs. CRT - it's just more convenient, you get all that desk space back.
While you're correct on your points, there is high def content on Cable TV as well as high def PVRs. Some HD channels are fantastic (NatGeo, ESPN), but most of the movie channels are blocky as well as good-ol-DVD-data. I'm planning to ditch cable and go with an antenna (ATSC), as that worked very well in my previous house. There are some HD channels that look HD and require no monthly subcription. Sometime in 2009, your neighbor will notice that his TV looks better .

As for a CRT TV, I have a Sony WEGA 40" that is 305 lbs. The good part about that is that it's nearly theft proof as you need two strong theives to carry it to the truck.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2008, 05:20 PM   #78
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
So this brings something up that I have wondered about. Why couldn't someone have developed a high speed tape reader- one that would pull the digital information off a DV Tape at 4 x speed, or something like that. Is it a physical limitation on the tape itself, or a technical issue with the data stream ? Any geeks out there know why ?
I remember Pinnacle Systems polling for a 2x DV reader device. Some DVCAM modes on some recorders operate the tape at a slightly higher speed. There is probably a good reason for the DV tape data rate: that's all that tape technology can do reliably, both with respect to data accuracy and medium integrity.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring