8Mbps wmv better than 8Mbps Blu-ray at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 2nd, 2008, 06:28 AM   #1
Major Player

8Mbps wmv better than 8Mbps Blu-ray

I rendered a hdv clip into both 8Mbps wmv and Blu-ray and the wmv has much less artifacting and overall looks much better when viewed on Windows Media Player. I will rerun with 25Mbps wmv to see how it does. I'm using Main-Concept MPEG-2 (.m2v).

What Blu-ray set-up are you guys finding to be the best?

Last edited by Roger Shealy; November 2nd, 2008 at 07:14 AM.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 10:05 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Shealy View Post
I rendered a hdv clip into both 8Mbps wmv and Blu-ray and the wmv has much less artifacting and overall looks much better when viewed on Windows Media Player. I will rerun with 25Mbps wmv to see how it does. I'm using Main-Concept MPEG-2 (.m2v).

What Blu-ray set-up are you guys finding to be the best?
40 Mbps mp4/wmv.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 10:34 AM   #3
Major Player

WMV and h.264 will look better a low bitrates than MPEG2. Commercial Blu-ray discs can use one of three different codecs, MPEG2, h.264 and VC-1. VC-1 is the official SMPTE name for WMV and is used on quite a few spectacular looking Blu-ray releases. You can use up to 40 Mbps on a Blu-ray disc.
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 12:00 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks John and Perrone. Another quick ask. I'm finding that when I render a .m2t hdv files and insert them back into a Vegas 8 project as an .avi, it looks horrible; lots of speckled lines and such. I was trying to avoid rendering back into .m2t thinking that would compress the files a 2nd time (and then a 3rd when I render for a disc...).

What's the best (least loss) way to render .m2t files so they can be reinserted into other projects. I'm wanting to combine several smaller hdv projects into a master project without the heft of all the source files contained in each sub-project. I'm using an XH-A1 and an HDR-HC3.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 12:03 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Shealy View Post
Thanks John and Perrone. Another quick ask. I'm finding that when I render a .m2t hdv and insert it back into a Vegas project as an .avi, it looks horrible; lots of speckled lines and such.

What's the best (least loss) way to render .m2t files so they can be reinserted into projects. I'm wanting to combine a lot of small hdv projects into a master project without the heft of all the source files contained in each sub-project.
Render it to any lossless format. I typically use Cineform .avi, huffyuv .avi, or PNG (best) .mov files.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 03:57 AM   #6
Inner Circle

3 magic letters: VBR.

But mostly you need at least 15+Mbps for 1080p or 720p60.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring