Blu-ray render questions for DVDA at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 13th, 2008, 02:34 PM   #1
Major Player

Blu-ray render questions for DVDA

Two questions:

1. I’ve rendered a short music video using the Blu-ray 1440x1080-24p, 25mbps mpeg2 template as well as a separate AC-3 audio file. I then loaded both into DVDA 5 using the same template and created a HD file/disk burned to a regular DVD.

Problem: it plays fine on my Sony BD player (BDP-S301) for about 35-40 seconds and then begins stuttering. It will continue playing but appears to drop frames or only play a frame every half second or so (freezing in-between each).

Is the data rate too high for my machine? I know that the BD data rates can go much higher than 25 mbps…

2. DVDA will not recognize (gives me an error message) an AVC file rendered in Vegas>>

Template: AVC 1440x1080-60i,15mbps, Blu-ray

* Note - I changed the frame rate to 24 and the field order to none (progressive scan) in the custom settings.

Is there a problem when changing this template to 24fps instead of the standard 29.97? When I render the same file without changing the settings (ie, leaving the frame rate at 29.97), DVDA recognizes the file – and then I can burn as usual. Note, source material is 29.97.

If this is the problem, then how does one create an AVC, 15mbps file at 24fps? The above mentioned mpeg2 template allows for this same source material to be rendered at 24fps without a problem…

Thanks --
James Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 02:49 PM   #2
Inner Circle

been right where you are, so I have the answer!

#1) 24P isn't the problem, it's the bitrate... 25mbps is apparently too high, not sure why they set the template that way, but go into the custom settings and drop it to around 17Mbps -

I'm still not sure if you can fidle with the VBR/CBR for better results and how much further you can push the bitrate before you start to hit the stutter problem, but I can tell you for certain after burning a pile of "experiments" and going to the local BB for testing on their Samsung BR player, the 25mbps setting is too high and causes problems... 8mbps looks crappy, and that's the other template... so don't waste time there, make a custom preset template with 17 or somewhere in there and you should playback perfectly and look good!

I hope to run further tests, but I was just glad to get over the hurdle and be able to burn "BR compatible" onto standard DVD's - it's nice to have the higher final quality for deliverables, without the added expense of a BR burner (and for me a player...). I can't justify the expense of BR when it's still overpriced IMO, but I've got clients with PS3's and it's only a matter of time - I want an archive version of the HD render anyway, so being able to put it on a BR compatible DVD is an excellent interim solution!

Not sure about #2, hit the same snag myself...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Dave –

Thanks for the quick response – very helpful. I’ll try what you suggested. If I use 17 as you mentioned, what are your average and minimum settings? Is 17,000,000 your max or average?

Thanks again --

Going to try:

max: 22mbps
avg: 17 mbps
low: 12mbps
Old December 13th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I went real lazy and just set it to CBR (constant 17, on the theory that my camera was at 16mbps... presumably constant, but I'm guessing)...

I'm sure there's a "better" setting, but haven't had the time to optimize. Probably the thing to do is create a 1-2 minute clip, render it at a bunch of different rates, burn a DVD and go test methodically to find the one that works OK and what the corresponding highest bitrate combination is...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks again dave, much appreciated --

Anyone else have any thoughts or have sucess playing files at 25mbps?

Any thoughts on the second question?
Old December 14th, 2008, 12:08 AM   #6

Which version of DVDA? Build number?
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #7
Major Player

Douglas -

version 5.0a (build 173)

BTW -- I susessfully created a playable disk (on the above mentioned BD palyer) using the specs above. It looks very good though I'd love to see it at a higher bit rate. Perhaps it's my player -- although other 'pro' BD movies must be playing at a higher rate, no? I need to put a move in and check the data rate...

Still curious about the AVC file issue. (my #2 question)

Thanks all --
Old December 15th, 2008, 01:31 PM   #8
Major Player

Anyone with any further thoughts or comments?

Much appricated --
Old December 15th, 2008, 02:39 PM   #9
Major Player

I render all my stuff to M2t then drag it into Architect. I then follow the disc wizrd and select the Fit To Disc option. I am sure the default bit rate is set to 18Mbs.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring