Workflow recos for BD & DVD output of same project at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 13th, 2008, 01:51 PM   #1
Trustee

Workflow recos for BD & DVD output of same project

I'm creating projects that need to be delivered in both BD and SD DVD format and I'm looking for the workflow with the best video quality and takes the least time. So far, I've come up with this using CS3:
-Edit native HDV in PP
-Export to Encore as BD
-Create menus, chapters etc.
-Export completed project as a BD image file
-Export same project as a DVD image file
-Burn disks and pour dram of rum and squeeze in a little lime

Seems logical to me but I'm ending up with some interlacing artifacts in the SD DVD.

Footage was shot 60i HDV at 29.97 and edited in PP with the 1080i 29.97 preset and output to an Encore BD project at 1080i at 29.97.

Following the BD rendering to the image file, I change the project type to DVD, make sure the PAR is set to 1.2 for widescreen then render out using the "Automatic" setting for DVD authoring. This setting works well for SD projects but I'm getting mice teeth with this project.

Tried the same thing by changing the transcode setting to manual with lower field first and the "Deinterlace" box in the output preview window unchecked. Still no joy. Rodents everywhere.

Any thoughts on what I have wrong here or alternate workflow suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 08:22 AM   #2
Trustee

Bump.

I'm still scratching my head over this one. Doesn't anyone have any ideas? I'll even take wild speculation. Anything would help at this point.
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:18 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
Tried the same thing by changing the transcode setting to manual with lower field first and the "Deinterlace" box in the output preview window unchecked. Still no joy. Rodents everywhere.
If you deinterlace, it's pointless to set the field order, besides, MPEG2/DVD is upper first, not lower first.
Old December 16th, 2008, 07:38 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
If you deinterlace, it's pointless to set the field order, besides, MPEG2/DVD is upper first, not lower first.
I know BD is upper field first, but I thought SD NTSC was lower first. I guess I'm still looking for the translation matrix for this workflow.

I know that if I check the deinterlace box the output will be progressive. With the input video file interlaced with upper fields first, maybe Encore is supposed to smart enough to know what the source file is and translate it appropriately to the desired output settings. If that's the case, I still have a problem because I cannot get rid of the interlace artifacts.

I don't really want to have to go farther back in the workflow and have to create a separate Encore project for the SD output.

All insights are welcome.
Old December 16th, 2008, 08:02 PM   #5
Wrangler

My understanding is that MPEG2/DVD is upper field first and SD DV is generally lower field first. When setting the field order in most editing programs, you are specifying the field order of the input video, not necessarily the resulting file output.
Old December 16th, 2008, 08:06 PM   #6
Wrangler

Tripp, I'd try rendering a small portion of the problem video directly from PP to MPEG2 and see if it solves any of the issues. That will at least tell you if you're getting extra artifacting from the extra compression in the BD file.
Old December 16th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Whenever I have to deliver to the web and to DVD, I deinterlace and resize before I ever bring the project into the NLE. Why cause yourself a problem further down the chain? It's like color correction. Get the exposure right before you start adding effects.

The rest of your workflow seems solid, but take care of initial problems up front. I also get out of HDV (when that is my source) ASAP. Render to something you can push around easier in the NLE. Like something that can hold some color.
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:26 PM   #8
Trustee

Michael... Thanks. I'm have to noodle this whole thing from scratch again, I think. I've been doing SD DV to DVDs for many years, mostly interlaced but a few have been progressive, and I've had no problems up to now. Fields are always right. It's this multi-purpose export to both BD and DVD that's messing me up.

Your suggestion is a good one. I'm going to have to do some different renders and export to a couple of DVDs to see what works and what doesn't.
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:35 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Whenever I have to deliver to the web and to DVD, I deinterlace and resize before I ever bring the project into the NLE. Why cause yourself a problem further down the chain?
Perrone... Thanks. That actually makes a ton of sense. If your delivering to the Web, which doesn't want fields, or DVD, which doesn't need them, get rid of them up front. And once you change the res deinterlacing gets really hard to do.

I shoot motor racing and have shot HDV 60i that I down-resed to DV on capture this past season. I'd like to be able to create both SD DVD and BD from the same source next year. I've stayed away from progressive but I guess it really doesn't matter since ESPN/ABC broadcast their HD in 720p. If going progressive works for them it should for me too.
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
I shoot motor racing and have shot HDV 60i that I down-resed to DV on capture this past season. I'd like to be able to create both SD DVD and BD from the same source next year. I've stayed away from progressive but I guess it really doesn't matter since ESPN/ABC broadcast their HD in 720p. If going progressive works for them it should for me too.
How many interlaced Hollywood DVDs have you rented? NFL football is still shot on film. Save youself a ton of headaches and go progressive from the jump. That way you only need to save one master file.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring