Blu-ray recording on mac? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring

Old April 7th, 2009, 12:50 AM   #16
Major Player

Ivan - Thanks for the info and you are right. I was depressed that I would have to pay so much for the collection but now I can sleep peacefully :)
Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:38 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Shallenberger View Post
Toast will do simple menus that (as far as I know) you cannot edit. You can pick from a selection of templates, but I don't think you can edit them other than chapter point titles and such. Someone correct me if that's wrong because I don't have Toast v10, only v9, and I don't know for sure they didn't change that.

With Encore, you can create your own menus or edit the existing templates like you can in DVD Studio Pro.
Calling them simple menus is a bit of an understatement. The menus in Toast make iDVD look like Scenarist by comparison. The BD quality, despite the long encode time, is very, very nice. Too bad the whole package is compromised by ugly menus and randomly placed chapter menus.
Jason Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:24 PM   #18
Major Player

We are using the "Toast" method at this point and we don't do any menu with the Blu-ray version of the video. We also have Toast automatically add a chapter point every 5 minutes.
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 06:24 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Dyle View Post
We are using the "Toast" method at this point and we don't do any menu with the Blu-ray version of the video. We also have Toast automatically add a chapter point every 5 minutes.
I think that's how I'm going to do it too. The menus I tried didn't work very well on my Sony BDP350 player. Might pop over to the windows side of things and try the Powerproducer software that came with the drive.
Old June 16th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #20
Major Player

Well, I've burned a few more test BDs with Toast, and I'm not very encouraged at all. I'm getting what looks like field order problems. Objects with vertical likes that are moving horizontally give a terrible stuttering effect. The faster the object, the worse it gets. I know the limitations of HDV when it comes to fast motion, but this is far worse. The original footage (from an XHA1) does not exhibit this problem. The video was captured and edited in FCP, then exported as a standalone movie. Toast is doing all the encoding, as I only have FCS 1, and that version of Compressor is worthless for HD stuff.
Old June 30th, 2009, 01:33 PM   #21
Major Player

Any theories on why the reviews of Toast 10 on Amazon are about 50% "it's the best Mac software" and 50% "it's the worst Mac software"?

Unusual to see mostly the two extremes represented. Is it likely the negative people are doing something wrong or using something incompatible with it?
Philip Fass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #22
Major Player

My guess would be the negative reviews come from people with older machines or insufficient RAM. it's a good program overall, but a real memory hog. Burning DVDs on a mini with 512MB of RAM would be quite painful.
Old June 30th, 2009, 02:19 PM   #23
Major Player

I know the menu options for Blu Ray are limited. Is there at least a very simple, minimal menu in there? Maybe just a plain list of chapters?
Philip Fass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring