Blu-ray recording on mac? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring

Old March 16th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #1
Major Player

Blu-ray recording on mac?

I tried using search, but it's down for maintenance right now. So, I'll post.

I need to look into internal blu-ray burners for my mac pro 8-core. I'm seeing some that say Mac-compatible, but very few, and more expensive. It seems that most bd burners out there are for Windows only. Now, I've heard from a few people that the reason they are windows only is that windows can play blu-ray movies and mac cannot. I don't care about playing movies, I just want to burn bd data discs and movie discs. I've also heard from others that unless it says it's mac compatible, it won't work for anything on a mac.

So, would I be able to buy any blu-ray burner to just burn movies and data on my mac?
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 08:36 AM   #2
Major Player

Sure. Read this. Make sure you read Part Two too!
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:04 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks very much for the links! They helped a lot. I see now that likely any drive will work with Toast installed, because neither of the drives Ken Stone recommends say Mac compatible. The compatibility issue must just be that Mac won't play blu-ray movies.

Again, thanks!
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #4
Major Player

Absolutely! The drive manufacturers not only ignore Macs, but they also usually state ONLY that their drives are "Windows Compatible". They all (nearly all?) work with Macs, though.

There is, of course, never any Mac software bundled with the drives - you need Toast 9/10 + BD Plug-in for that, but then you're good to go!
Old March 16th, 2009, 01:51 PM   #5
Major Player

I'm 99% ready to dive into this, and have one quick question. The current version of Toast now 10, and it's available in Titanium and Titanium Pro. Both are supposed to author BD video discs, but the "Pro" version looks to have a bunch of other multimedia programs included. Are any of these worth the extra cash, or can I stick with regular Toast 10 Titanium?
Jason Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 07:36 AM   #6
Major Player

Jason, you don't need Toast 10 Pro for Blu-ray production. Toast 10 (Amateur!) will do.

However, you DO need the "BD Plug-in" that is another $10 or so for download.

However, however, when I ordered Toast 10 (non-Pro) and before it was delivered, I ordered/paid for/downloaded the BD Plug-in, and then found the retail Toast 10 package had the BD Plug-in bundled as a free gift! Thanks, Roxio!

So: The moral of the story is: get your Toast 10 package first, and THEN see if you need to buy the BD Plug-in!
Old April 2nd, 2009, 07:40 AM   #7
Trustee

You don't need a blu-ray recorder to make blu-ray discs on your Mac. No kidding:

MacVideo - DVD Authoring - Features - Bruce Nazarian shows how to produce affordable Blu-ray
Old April 2nd, 2009, 10:09 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I now understand why ppl don't choose internal with a mac. I have a power mac which only has one opening for a drive (even though its a tower), which would mean I'd have to swap internal drives every time I wanted to burn a BR. And then you can't even test it because you can't play BR in a Mac. What a joke.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 04:42 AM   #9
Major Player

What about authoring menus? Will Toast do this as well or is another software like Encore suggested for this?
Old April 4th, 2009, 07:06 AM   #10
Major Player

Toast will do simple menus that (as far as I know) you cannot edit. You can pick from a selection of templates, but I don't think you can edit them other than chapter point titles and such. Someone correct me if that's wrong because I don't have Toast v10, only v9, and I don't know for sure they didn't change that.

With Encore, you can create your own menus or edit the existing templates like you can in DVD Studio Pro.
Old April 4th, 2009, 07:26 AM   #11
Trustee

Dan is correct about Toast.
Old April 4th, 2009, 01:03 PM   #12
Regular Crew

So would you rank Toast as about as useful (flexible) as iDVD for the BR creation?
Denise Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 01:42 AM   #13
Major Player

Thanks for the info about Toast. I guess I will have to look into Encore unless anyone else has a good experience with another software. By the way...can you buy Encore separately or do you have to by it in one of the bundles? I don't see it anywhere for sale separately.
Old April 6th, 2009, 07:21 AM   #14
Major Player

I'm pretty sure you have to buy it in a bundle, which stinks. I have seen some bundled software for sale individually on ebay, but I wouldn't trust that source.
Old April 6th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #15
Major Player

You don't have to buy the Adobe's Premium or Master collection. Adobe Encore DVD is part of Premiere Pro, that can bought seperately.
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring