Changes to AACS mean cheaper Blu-Ray replication costs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 4th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #1
Wrangler

Changes to AACS mean cheaper Blu-Ray replication costs

Blu-Ray replication costs are still much higher than DVD, but new rules to the AACS licensing structure now allow smaller producers (like me) to afford Blu-Ray replication. A $500/year licensing fee is required, but it is a heck of a lot cheaper than the $3000 one-time fee previously required just to submit your job for replication. The "Title Key Certificates" have dropped from $1300/master to $500/master, but the royalty fee is still 4¢/disc.
Replication costs are still about $3 per disc so the total cost on an order of 1000 discs is now only about $4040. ($500 + $500 + $40 + $3000)
Any additional titles you replicate within that year would be $500 less because you only have to pay that fee once a year.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 06:43 AM   #2
Trustee

Is that first $500 fee for each title, or does it cover the studio? Or, how much is a second title?
Old October 12th, 2009, 11:21 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Blu-Ray replication costs are still much higher than DVD, but new rules to the AACS licensing structure now allow smaller producers (like me) to afford Blu-Ray replication. A $500/year licensing fee is required, but it is a heck of a lot cheaper than the $3000 one-time fee previously required just to submit your job for replication. The "Title Key Certificates" have dropped from $1300/master to $500/master, but the royalty fee is still 4¢/disc.
Replication costs are still about $3 per disc so the total cost on an order of 1000 discs is now only about $4040. ($500 + $500 + $40 + $3000)
Any additional titles you replicate within that year would be $500 less because you only have to pay that fee once a year.
How does AACS look at personal Blu-rays, at sending copies you burn yourself to friends and associates? Is there any licensing issue with 10 copies? 100?
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:59 AM   #4
Major Player

This may answer your question. I found it on Blu-ray Disc License Office -- FAQ

"I am a wedding/event video photographer and shoot the HD pictures and burn on BD-R/RE discs. Can I apply for LLA?
If you burn to R or RE discs, BD Logo is not permitted to use. The reason is BD-Logo is basically used to communicate to the consumers that the products having BD-Logo is complying with BD Specification and compatible with other BD Products.
In case of contents burn on to BD-R or RE discs, there is no way we can assure the compatibility /quality of the disc.
To communicate to your customers that the disc is a BD disc, you can either use a word “Blu-ray ™” in plain letter on the label or you can design your disc, so that BD-Logo on the original blank disc is visible to the consumers.
You may use “Blu-ray ™” in plain letter in your website/printed materials to publicize that you are providing your services using Blu-ray format."

So, if I uderstand well, you can burn BD-r but not use the blu-ray logo when selling them. However, the terms "wedding & events" are not very clear. Why should it concerns only wedding & events ? Maybe it's just an example. I mean it should be logical that they don't care if you shoot weeding or short movies or even indie documentary since you burn yourself the BD-R and don't use the logo. What do you think of this?
Old October 13th, 2009, 08:24 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan Fournier View Post
So, if I uderstand well, you can burn BD-r but not use the blu-ray logo when selling them. However, the terms "wedding & events" are not very clear. Why should it concerns only wedding & events ? Maybe it's just an example. I mean it should be logical that they don't care if you shoot wedding or short movies or even indie documentary since you burn yourself the BD-R and don't use the logo. What do you think of this?
Yes, that's very useful - thanks.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 04:57 AM   #6
Major Player

the original poster used the term replication. Perhaps the licencing he refers to is only for large scale replication? Burning your own blu-ray discs at home would not come under the licencing and not have any fees or restrictions except that you cannot use the official logo?
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring