Encore CS5 Blu-ray - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 9th, 2010, 10:23 PM   #16
Inner Circle

I use Encore CS2/CS3/CS4, never experienced such problem.

Have you checked Adobe.com for any for any Encore latest updates?
Old September 9th, 2010, 10:26 PM   #17
Inner Circle

You didn't answer me the question. At the Encore bluray project settings, are you setting it up as 1920x1280 or 1440x1080? is it a MPEG-2 project or H.264 project?
Old September 9th, 2010, 11:19 PM   #18
Major Player

When i create a new Encore project for HD, I set it up for Mpeg-2 1440x1080@29.97fps.
I've also tried the project settings from 14mbps all the way up to 40mbps..

I've tried encoding and forcing my source footage to 1920x1080, just in case Encore doesn't like Anamorphic.
I've tried different GOP settings.

Obviously, within Encore, the encodes go fine...I modify Presets without a hitch, and Encore transcodes fine...
But the presets are 95% identical to AME's...

Downloaded updates two days ago..
Thanks...
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #19
New Boot

Great Post!

Thanks so much for this Taky!! I've been looking all over trying to figure out an error message that Encore kept giving me after burning half a Blu-Ray. I was using a format that it was having problems with and using ME CS5 did the trick. Thanks again!!
Thomas Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 12:08 PM   #20
Inner Circle

That's great! Glad I can help.
Old August 16th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Re: Encore CS5 Blu-ray

Do you mind sharing your workflow exactly for Premiere CS5 to Procoder3 to Encore CS5?

From Premiere what do you output for use in Procoder? There is match sequence settings export I used (24p 1080p DSLR), encoded in Procoder for DVD, then I imported to Encore but Encore encoded it again.

Thanks.

Last edited by Gerald Labrador; August 16th, 2011 at 05:22 PM. Reason: not just for Taky...but anyone
Gerald Labrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 10:54 PM   #22
Inner Circle

I put together an article in my blog showing my workflow. Take a look

Adobe Premiere Pro and Encore Outputing DVD and BluRay Workflow | L.A. Color Blog

The way I do involve using a separate computer for encoding work. I will export to an intermediate AVI file. Then use Adobe Media Encoder (or Procoder) to export each video into 4 files in different data rate. Take a look.
Old August 17th, 2011, 11:24 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Thank you for sharing that information Taky. Very interesting methodology with the bitrates for different scenes - makes sense.

Thanks.
Gerald Labrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Thanks! glad you find it useful. The way it works takes longer time. But then I can always avoid having Encore to transcode.

Also, for Procoder, it's easier as there's a watch folder setup. I can setup preset that allow one encoding to output 4 different bitrates file at once. For AME, I have to create the encoding job 4 times.

I like the way I can mix and match different bit rate. Some chapters are more static and less watched, those I can pick a lower data rate version and save the extra bandwidth for more watch chapters, or those with more motion in it.

Also, the steps I lay out in Encore allows me to author once but output both to DVD and BluRay.
Old August 17th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #25
Major Player

Taky....

Back to the original poster...

I believe there is a bug in Encore that never got resolved.
Mpeg2Bluray presets are not respected, and always demand a retranscode...

This is not the case with h.264 files..

This thread unofficially confirmed my suspicions...

Now, while everybody claims "oh you shouldn't be using that codec", or "you messed up on your settings", i don't think those are fair answers. They are workarounds to the weak link in the CS chain of products.
If Encore doesn't get fixed up with CS6.0, i probably won't purchase it.
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #26
Inner Circle

I use Procoder to encode MPEG2 for bluray. Encore takes them in without transcoding. Its sad adobe won't fix the problem. But I would suggest outputong h.264 make use of the superior codec for the job. Video is very watchable even in low bit rate.

Its to avoid the bug at the same increase the final output quality.
Old August 18th, 2011, 08:53 AM   #27
Major Player

I just tested CS5.5, exporting MPEG-2 for Blu-ray at 1440x1080i 29.97 and imported the resulting .m2v and .wav files into Encore and it says "Don't Transcode" for the video, so looks like all is well with the current version at least

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers
Old August 18th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #28
Inner Circle

I also just tried a 1 minute clip that encode with one of the MPEG-2 BluRay presets in AME CS5. Then import to Encore. It is showing "Don't Transcode"
Old September 14th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #29
Major Player

There seems to be a bug in Encore CS5(.1) with H.264 VBR 2 pass. If you transcode with VBR 1 pass Encore will see the file as Transcoded.
(I have not experienced this bug yet)
To get your timeline from Pro to Procoder you can use a Frameserver instead of a intermediar file
Debugmode FrameServer Homepage
Download Advanced FrameServer 0.3.118 Free - Frame server for your Premiere application - Softpedia
Ann Bens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 11:44 AM   #30
Major Player

Hi all,
I am just starting to work with Blu-ray. I created my first disk both BR-RE and a BR-R disks. I have been using Premiere Pro cs5 with latest updates for a while now. I have been taking HD content and exporting a dvd mp2 file with the following settings. 7 mbit max, 4-5mbit target, 1.5-2.5 min setting. This works flawlessly, never a problem. If I go higher let's say to 8 mbit I get glitches stops and starts playing back the video.
First, I exported a 1920x1080 timeline in PP CS5 from my new Canon 60D camera as a Blu-ray mp2 file. I get the same problem in Encore that all of you are having which is that Encore says the m2v file need transcoding (untranscoded). I already transcoded the file in media encoder from PP so this should not need to be transcoded again in Encre. PP say that there is an update to media encoder that I can update. Maybe this will fix the issue?
I also would appreciate some help getting stated with transcode setting for Blu-ray. One thing using the canon 60D do I need to convert the mov file first to Apple Proeres format before editing in PP?
Next, what's the best bitrate setting to use to export/ encode the file. I used the default settings in media encoder which I think was 15MBIt. This does not play correctly in my Blu-ray player. So I have to find a better sweetspot. I have read that 20 or 25mbps is better?
And is it true that i should use the Blu-ray h.264 setting instead of Blu-ray mpeg2? I think the quality of Mpeg2 is really good.
One last setting issue in Encore. There is a setting either to output an ISO image file in either BR-R or BR-RE. What's the difference? I just outputted a BR-R image file and wrote it to a BR-RE disk and it played just fine so I was wundering what the difference in the settings? I would like to be able to output one image file and use it for both -RE and -R disks.
Oh, from my camera I just copied the mov file to a folder on my HDD and then I just imported the mov files into PP as a timeline. The Video does play a little slow but not that slow on my PC.

Thanks for the help,
John Gerard
John Gerard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring