DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   C100 clips into FCP X - need some help, please (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/516172-c100-clips-into-fcp-x-need-some-help-please.html)

Ben Giles April 28th, 2013 07:43 AM

C100 clips into FCP X - need some help, please

Hi All.

I just got back from a pretty intensive 3 day first shoot with the C100. I love the results so far.

I notice various threads about interlace issues upon importing to FCP X and I know that the progressive frames are wrapped in an interlaced container.

I've set all clips to progressive in the inspector and I've optimised/transcoded to ProRes.

Here's the issue - if I play the clips from the scratch disk in Quicktime Player, all is groovy - progressive presentation, no issues. But if I play back in FCP X, it looks like it's playing back interlaced but with a field stripped out - so I get edge aliasing and moire artifacts.

Sorry for the numpty question - but I figure someone must have cracked this and all of the various threads on the web seem to lead nowhere.

Thanks in advance,

Matt Davis April 28th, 2013 08:12 AM

Re: C100 clips into FCP X - need some help, please

A simple workflow of C100 into FCPX would be:

- Import (as per usual)
- once that's all done (so you're working off clips on your FCPX Event folder, not the card)...
- Select all the freshly imported C100 clips in the Event
- In the inspector, select the *Info* tab, with the bottom left pop-up set to Settings View
- The inspector should show a pop-up labelled Field Dominance Override

so, all your clips are selected in the event (just checking...)

- Switch *Field Dominance Override* to *Progressive*. Tada! All done.

You've done all this before putting the clips into a project. So it's an Event thing, not a Project thing. ;-)

I've noticed that if FCPX is having a bit of a bad day, the 'switch' won't stick. So, quit and restart FCPX and check/do it again.

Once it's done, and it's stuck, you're good to go.

A minor point: yes, you can side step all this by transcoding in 5DtoRGB (I'm off ClipWrap at the moment), and you could choose to go ProRes, but I use FCPX for short quick stuff and don't need to transcode to ProRes (filters bump a clip up to high quality anyway). Therefore the above is just the reflex action of bringing C100 stuff into FCPX. Simples.

Ben Giles April 29th, 2013 06:13 AM

Re: C100 clips into FCP X - need some help, please

Thanks Matt.

It looks like I was experiencing one of those "bad days" you talk of - maybe FCPX doesn't like working at the weekends...

I think it's resolved - however, you're right, one moment the clips show as progressive in the Inspector - and then mysteriously "forget" and default to no preference set.

Fun and games...

You listening, Apple?..

Ben.