C100 clips into FCP X - need some help, please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old April 28th, 2013, 07:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

C100 clips into FCP X - need some help, please

Hi All.

I just got back from a pretty intensive 3 day first shoot with the C100. I love the results so far.

I notice various threads about interlace issues upon importing to FCP X and I know that the progressive frames are wrapped in an interlaced container.

I've set all clips to progressive in the inspector and I've optimised/transcoded to ProRes.

Here's the issue - if I play the clips from the scratch disk in Quicktime Player, all is groovy - progressive presentation, no issues. But if I play back in FCP X, it looks like it's playing back interlaced but with a field stripped out - so I get edge aliasing and moire artifacts.

Sorry for the numpty question - but I figure someone must have cracked this and all of the various threads on the web seem to lead nowhere.

Thanks in advance,
Ben Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2013, 08:12 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: C100 clips into FCP X - need some help, please

A simple workflow of C100 into FCPX would be:

- Import (as per usual)
- once that's all done (so you're working off clips on your FCPX Event folder, not the card)...
- Select all the freshly imported C100 clips in the Event
- In the inspector, select the *Info* tab, with the bottom left pop-up set to Settings View
- The inspector should show a pop-up labelled Field Dominance Override

so, all your clips are selected in the event (just checking...)

- Switch *Field Dominance Override* to *Progressive*. Tada! All done.

You've done all this before putting the clips into a project. So it's an Event thing, not a Project thing. ;-)

I've noticed that if FCPX is having a bit of a bad day, the 'switch' won't stick. So, quit and restart FCPX and check/do it again.

Once it's done, and it's stuck, you're good to go.

A minor point: yes, you can side step all this by transcoding in 5DtoRGB (I'm off ClipWrap at the moment), and you could choose to go ProRes, but I use FCPX for short quick stuff and don't need to transcode to ProRes (filters bump a clip up to high quality anyway). Therefore the above is just the reflex action of bringing C100 stuff into FCPX. Simples.
Old April 29th, 2013, 06:13 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: C100 clips into FCP X - need some help, please

Thanks Matt.

It looks like I was experiencing one of those "bad days" you talk of - maybe FCPX doesn't like working at the weekends...

I think it's resolved - however, you're right, one moment the clips show as progressive in the Inspector - and then mysteriously "forget" and default to no preference set.

Fun and games...

You listening, Apple?..

Ben.
Ben Giles is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems