C300 and C500 Firmware update at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 08:52 AM   #1
Major Player

C300 and C500 Firmware update

C300:
1) Provide Push button one shot AF and Auto iris as in the lower end C100 camera.
2) Ability to record at 1,440 x 1,080 pixel recording mode at 35Mbps for TV channels that need quick turnaround
3)Shifting display location during magnified Focus Assist.
Free downloads starting in October 2013

C500 : A new version of firmware supporting ACES (Academy Color Encoding System) standard.
New ACES compatibility software for the Cinema EOS C500 and Cinema EOS C500 PL Digital Cameras will be available as a free download expected in June 2013.

People expecting slow motion 1080 at 50/60p in the C300 simply bury your hopes. :(

Original press release: Canon USA Announces Free Firmware Upgrade for Cinema EOS Cameras at DV Info Net
Old April 3rd, 2013, 10:15 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: C300 and C500 Firmware update

And something for us C100 owners too. Direct quote below:

"Firmware upgrades for the EOS C500 and EOS C500 PL, EOS C300, EOS C300 PL, and EOS C100 Digital Camera models enable the Magnified Focus Assist function’s magnified view area within the viewfinder and LCD monitor to be shifted to locations other than the center of the screen, allowing users to confirm focus across the entire display area."
Old April 3rd, 2013, 11:12 AM   #3
Inner Circle

And before we all get too excited...another direct quote:

"...are expected to be available as free downloads starting in October 2013"

Yes, OCTOBER :-(
Old April 3rd, 2013, 12:03 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

I've noticed a trend in the past year or two where Canon makes these announcements with loooong dates like this. Same thing with the 7D firmware upgrade, it was published months and months ahead of actual availability.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 12:30 PM   #5
Major Player

Well that's great news.

I thought us C300 owners had been forgotten in the flurry of new products coming out and I seem to remember saying I'd eat my hat if there was a substantial update. Well maybe a small hat.

I look forward to finding out more details.
Mark Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 04:02 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
I've noticed a trend in the past year or two where Canon makes these announcements with loooong dates like this. Same thing with the 7D firmware upgrade, it was published months and months ahead of actual availability.
Indeed, it doesn't seem to make much sense at all. What's the strategy here? We're still awaiting the 5DmkIII update (announced back in October!) for clean HDMI.

Pleased to see some attention being given to the C300. As a 100/300 owner, the only auto feature I was hoping to see transferred to the 300 is auto white balance - I find that handy on the 100.
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #7
New Boot

I own a C300 so I'm looking forward to checking out the firmware upgrade with the "one shot AF and Auto iris as in the lower end C100 camera." My question is: In the C100, is the AF and Auto Iris option linked? Can you do one or the other or is it an all or nothing kinda thing?
Matt Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #8
Major Player

They each have dedicated buttons on the C100, and can be used quite independently of one another.

It will be a little trickier on the C300 as you'll have to give up assignable buttons (therefore losing the function they are currently labelled). I guess headphone volume is the best option? I have already reassigned the magnification button on the body to IRIS, which seems like standard practice.

One thing that doesn't come up much in C100/300 comparisons is the C100's improved button layout, with additional dedicated buttons for one touch AF, auto iris, ISO, shutter and dual buttons for white balance.

For me anyway, having clearly labelled buttons is speedier than having to work with the scroll wheel.
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 05:00 PM   #9
Trustee

Hhhmmm...Not really worth getting excited over that!

I really like my C300 but it really does need 1080 50/60!

The other feature I'd love is some sort of good quality sensor cropping to change the FOV and give me more reach in circumstances where I can't get long enough glass.

Add these two features and it would be perfect for me!

Mat
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2013, 07:56 AM   #10
Major Player

When we were all discussing C300 firmware updates a year ago one of the most common requests was to have the ability to view the WFM scopes in the EVF.

This new update will add considerable functionality to the camera but after owning the camera for a year I've become pretty used to it as it is and doubt I'll use the push button one shot AF, the Auto iris could be useful in a tight spot but I would still really like the ability to see the WFM scope in the EVF.
Mark Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 12:03 AM   #11
Major Player

There is no reason Canon can't get a minor upgrade like this out in three months. Really disappointing.their dev folks can't be *that* backlogged.
Al Bergstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2013, 11:52 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Thompson View Post

I really like my C300 but it really does need 1080 50/60!

The other feature I'd love is some sort of good quality sensor cropping to change the FOV and give me more reach in circumstances where I can't get long enough glass.

Add these two features and it would be perfect for me!

Mat
It is tough to not have the 1080 50p when there is action. I don't want to use it all the time, however, there are situations when I definitely need it.

I was filming a rhino calf suckling from mother in Kaziranga National Park in India from an elephant back. Was handholding the C300 and 70-200 IS II. The 1080 at 50p would have been really nice.

Canon has implemented the sensor cropping well in the 1DC. So they should be able to do that in C300 as well. If they can create a crop equivalent to a 1.4x TC, then it would be nice. We will then may not physically change the Tc. Not sure if Canon can do all those, as they have given us long lead times in development till date. Its time Canon put more resources in their firmware development. That is the area they are lagging behind.
Old April 28th, 2013, 02:57 PM   #13
Trustee

Agreed.

It really is difficult not to start looking at other cameras when the C300 seems to lack features that it just should have.

COME ON CANON....support the people supporting your products!
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #14
Major Player

Well I look at other cameras and the new Blackmagic pocket camera is definitely very tempting but I can see myself using the C300 for years and years, it produces such good images, and it's very solid, and I've now got used to the missing features.

All the alternatives are out there and no doubt there will be other new cameras this year so if you want to shift there is a lot of choice.
Mark Dobson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems