DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   Quick question about C100 microphone mount (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/516902-quick-question-about-c100-microphone-mount.html)

Omar Nabulsi June 1st, 2013 03:20 AM

Quick question about C100 microphone mount

Hello all,

I am sure this is a stupid question, but is there any tricks to getting your mic to stay in place in the supplied microphone mount on the carry handle? I have a Senheiser MKH416 microphone, and it is too thin, and I cannot tighten the grip of the mount. Am I just out of luck, or is there an off chance that I am missing something?

Many thanks,
~Omar

Richard Gooderick June 1st, 2013 04:17 AM

Re: Quick question about C100 microphone mount

Same here with my Sanken CS3e.
The mic off my Sony A1E is fatter and fits OK.
The only solution is padding.
I think you can probably buy rubber sleeves for this purpose but I don't know where from.
Or cut up an innnertube.
It's annoying. It would have been a nice thought if Canon had supplied a sleeve with the camera. It would cost peanuts. All owners must have the same problem.

Andy Wilkinson June 1st, 2013 04:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just use neoprene 'O' rings - you can get something suitable from DIY stores. Very cheap! They are about 2-3mm thick and about 18-20mm diameter. Just pick a size that needs to slightly stretch to roll onto the mics body. Once you've slipped a couple of them over the mic tube and got them positioned where you want them just clamp up the mic mount and away you go!

Actually, come to think of it, my AT875R short shotgun mic even came with some suitable 'O' rings.

EDIT: Adding a quick pic to show you what I mean.

Franz Brandstetter June 1st, 2013 04:01 PM

Great idea Andi, thank you

Omar Nabulsi June 1st, 2013 07:58 PM

Thank you so much for the help guys! I'm glad to know I'm not just stupid :)

Chris Hsiung June 2nd, 2013 12:04 AM

Duct tape wrapped around my NTG-2 worked in a pinch.

Matt Davis June 2nd, 2013 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omar Nabulsi (Post 1798171)
is there an off chance that I am missing something?

Notwithstanding comments made 'over there' regarding the Lyre mount from Rycote, the 'thing' I have not only serves the function of getting a slimmer mic (like the CS1 or 416) into the mic holder of the camera, but also pulls the mic back a bit so you can wave a camera-mounted 416 in a dead cat whilst using wide angle lenses.

Back in the day, camera viewfinders on things like PD150 and Z1 didn't have 100% viewfinders, and when you'd thought you'd frame a shot with the dead cat just out of shot, it would be dipping into the full frame like The Mark of Cain. Not so much of an issue now, but if you really need to use a 416 on a stubby camera like the C100, especially with the dead cat, you may appreciate it being mounted 2"-4" further back.