DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   Power zoom EF lenses (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/525683-power-zoom-ef-lenses.html)

Jody Arnott November 10th, 2014 03:42 PM

Power zoom EF lenses

Hi all,

When doing documentary work with the C100, I often find myself really missing having a power zoom lens. I can never get steady zooms with my manual lenses.

I've been Googling but I can't see any EF power zoom lenses on the market (that are affordable at least, I do see some that run into the tens of thousands of dollars).

Does anyone know of any, or any other method to achieve smooth zooming with a manual lens?

Thanks in advance.

Chris Medico November 10th, 2014 04:29 PM

Re: Power zoom EF lenses

Have you looked at a follow focus setup?

Jody Arnott November 10th, 2014 05:55 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. No I haven't yet. I'm trying to keep my rig as compact as possible, but that might not be practical at this point.

I'll definitely have a look into the option though.

Chris Medico November 10th, 2014 07:33 PM

Unfortunately there are few options in the few thousand dollar price range.

Troy Moss November 10th, 2014 08:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jody,

This is the best solution and it's really inexpensive (only $10-$16 on ebay), Here's a picture of my C100 with the device! I use it with my Canon 24-105 L lens. Works Perfect! Nice Smooth Zoom! (Link below shows product on ebay).

Follow Focus Alternative for All DSLR Camera'S | eBay

Phil Goetz November 12th, 2014 10:04 PM

We should stock that as the Troy Moss Signature... get a bunch of them with your name on them...

Jody Arnott November 13th, 2014 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troy Moss (Post 1867431)
Jody,

This is the best solution and it's really inexpensive (only $10-$16 on ebay), Here's a picture of my C100 with the device! I use it with my Canon 24-105 L lens. Works Perfect! Nice Smooth Zoom! (Link below shows product on ebay).

Follow Focus Alternative for All DSLR Camera'S | eBay

Thanks for the links/photo.

Is it really that much smoother than zooming manually? I guess for the price there's no harm in trying it out!

Troy Moss November 13th, 2014 01:46 PM

Yes, it's much smoother! Yes, you definitely can't go wrong for the price. I've recommended this (and similar products) to several other shooters and they continually thank me. It really works. Several other models and variations of this on eBay and the internet, just do a search!

Christopher Young November 13th, 2014 07:31 PM

This manual zoom lever system is something we used on film camera zooms for years. With practice you can get very smooth zooms. I use a couple of the less likely to break Varavon ones on the FS700 with manual zoom lenses. Good value for money and results. Available from BH and all over eBay.

Sling Follow Focus | Varavon

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Zach Love November 17th, 2014 02:17 PM

There was the "Handi Zoom" that was announced just before NAB 2012 by Viz Tools, but I haven't seen any updates since, so I'm guessing it is never coming to market.

Not sure if it was cost, interest, or if it just didn't really work as dreamed up. Would've loved if it had made it out of R&D though.

Jon Roemer November 19th, 2014 09:09 PM

~5 minutes in, 2nd video from Dan Chung, the new Zacutio handgrip which when used with a zoom ring motor can provide a power zoom: News Shooter | Zacuto Gratical HD EVF pre-ordering opens with $200 discount .

Scott Stoneback December 2nd, 2014 11:50 PM

I just bought the lever setup on Ebay. For less than $20, you can't go wrong.