DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   C300 Mark II CFast compatible card list? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/531184-c300-mark-ii-cfast-compatible-card-list.html)

Scott Stoneback February 16th, 2016 05:45 PM

C300 Mark II CFast compatible card list?

Does anyone know a source that lists what is compatible and what is available?

I have two Lexar 64Gb cards to start with, they are the 3600x variety. They are fine for the 1080p and 2k shoots, so far. Have not used them for 4k yet. I also have a CD Odyssey recorder for external recording at higher capacity.

I see on the Adorama site that they have Delkin 128Gb cards for $250, anyone have any experience using these cards? They are similar spec to the Lexar cards (Delkin is 515MB/s read and 440MB/s write, compared to Lexar 540MB/s read, 445MB/s write)

At any rate, I am hoping to find everyday cards that won't break the bank.

Syeed Ali February 17th, 2016 09:51 AM

Re: C300 Mark II CFast compatible card list?

2 Attachment(s)
Apparently, the 3600X are not campatible with the C300 mk2.

Only cards that Canon currently approve on their website are the Sandisk.
http://www.canon.co.uk/support/consu...tcm:14-1296998

Although i have been told by a guy at Canon that the mk2 will accept the Lexar 3500X as long as the cameras firmware is up to date.

Barry Goyette February 17th, 2016 11:13 AM

Right now we're sticking with the 128gb Sandisk Cards...just two of them. The offloads are so fast that we can easily back-up on location, but we don't do a lot of run and gun where we can't get to a laptop quickly.

As the prices start to drop, will probably purchase a few more.

Gary Huff February 17th, 2016 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Goyette (Post 1909268)
As the prices start to drop, will probably purchase a few more.

Same. Like you I only have two cards, but I'm not shooting heavy run-and-gun stuff in 4K. That would make a big difference, and I would recommend at least 4 cards if you plan on doing a lot of 4K shooting.

Josh Dahlberg February 17th, 2016 11:39 PM

Using 128gb Lexars myself with no issues. The 3500x variety. Have shot 1080 & 4K.

As Sayeed mentions, the 3600x are apparently optimised for Arri. Hope those cards work okay for you Scott.

The BH site links to Sandisk and Lexar (3500x) cards for recording media in the C300II accessories section. I've always found their links pretty good in terms of determining compatibility. They've just added a few Transcend cards which are quite a bit cheaper, but as the only card I've ever had fail on me (albeit in a 5d) was a Transcend, I'm sticking with the more expensive Lexars.

Mathew Williams February 29th, 2016 10:49 AM

Hi - has anyone tried the new Transcend cards? They seem to be 510MB/s. The recommended Sandisk ones are 515MB/s so very close. The Transcend write speed seems significantly higher (if that makes a difference). It would be great if they do work since they are a good deal cheaper! I've used Transcend cards in all my other cameras since 2010 and to date have always been very reliable so I trust the brand.

Scott Stoneback February 29th, 2016 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syeed Ali (Post 1909260)
Apparently, the 3600X are not campatible with the C300 mk2.

Only cards that Canon currently approve on their website are the Sandisk.
EOS C300 Mark II - Canon UK

Although i have been told by a guy at Canon that the mk2 will accept the Lexar 3500X as long as the cameras firmware is up to date.

That is a helpful link but it is old (August 2015). Canon needs to update their lists to what is currently available so as to avoid confusion over what does and does not work.

Thierry Humeau March 6th, 2016 08:12 PM

Curious... What's the lowest selectable bitrate in 4K DCI on the C300 MK2?

Eric C. Petrie April 29th, 2016 03:24 PM

Canon recently officially approved the Lexar CFast 3500x for use with the C300mkii and XC10 but not the Lexar 3400x or 3600x. You can see it on Canon's C300mkii product page near the top of "features".

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/p...s-c300-mark-ii

Eric Petrie
epetrie@provideoandtape.com
Finance the Canon C300mkII for $459/month, $0 down
Finance the Sony Fs7 for $245/month, $0 down
Professional Cameras | Portland, OR | Financing

Mathew Williams May 1st, 2016 02:28 AM

I've now shot hundreds of hours of footage in all different formats/resolutions on the C300 Mark II using Transcend CFast cards and so far no problems at all.

Slavik Boyechko July 2nd, 2016 02:07 PM

Hey all - it's up to you if you want to risk it, but I've been using Transcend CFX600 Cfast cards with the C300II for a couple months now, and so far no problems. I've recorded in all the resolutions as well as slow mo on these cards. These cards are 1/4th the cost of other Cfast cards, or about $150 for 256gb.

I think the reason they may have dropped in price and are only available with a handful of retailers (I got them at CDW), is because the label seems to be printed on the wrong side. So the card is inserted upside down into the camera or reader.

They've been on backorder or special order status for a while, so I emailed Transcend to ask if they're discontinuing the cards. They said that in fact the cards are in such high demand that they have had difficulty fulfilling orders. Which is interesting because I haven't heard much about others using the CFX600s.

Anyway it's an option if you want to get into the C300II without spending a fortune on cards. It's a risk using unapproved cards, but the SD proxy recordings are pretty good as backups in case the card fails. And unlike the Lexar 3400x, these cards haven't had reported issues with the C300II.

Happy shooting!
-Slavik

Dan Brockett May 13th, 2017 11:38 AM

Anyone have the time to test these Delkin CFast cards? Spec-wise, they surpass the Sandisks and Lexars and cost less. But I know they are not certified. Tempting to try one, you could aways return it to Amazon if the C300 MKII doesn't like it.

https://www.amazon.com/Delkin-256GB-...130+CFast+card

Scott Stoneback February 3rd, 2018 12:13 PM

Has anyone seen an update to this list from Canon? Lexar is out of business, now Sandisk is the only card approved off the very dated list from Canon.

Any thoughts on other cards? The Transcend cards seemed to be working well for people. I need a few extra cards and don't want to go with the $650 Sandisks just for extra cards. Not everything is shot in 4k and I can always dual record with approved media (my Lexars still work great).

Seth Bloombaum February 3rd, 2018 06:13 PM

I’ve seen chatter about Egodisk cFast cards for the C200...

Dan Brockett February 3rd, 2018 10:34 PM

The Egodisk cards work great on the C200 but even Egodisk says they aren't approved for the C300 MKII. I have not tried them in the C300 MKII, I usually rent the C300 MKII with the Sandisk cards. If I owned the C300 MKII I would probably try the cheap cards Slavik is using. The Egodisk cards aren't approved by Canon for the C200 but work great, I've been shooting two long term documentaries with them with great results.