Do you support heavy lenses on the C300? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old December 9th, 2016, 12:42 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Do you support heavy lenses on the C300?

Look at a sporting event and see how all the still guys mount their giant (heavy) lenses... by the foot on the lens. If you are going to not use a lens support, then try and mount the heaviest part (usually the lens and not the body of the camera). That way, the lighter part exerts the lesser amount of force.

I upgraded my C300 Mark II to the newer EF locking mount (looks like a PL mount) after I had a problem with play developing at the mounting point. My CN 17-120 zoom is a heavy beast, and even with the Zacuto/Canon ENG setup built specifically for this lens/camera combo... I still had issues. The mount flexed just enough that the lens contacts were sporadically disconnecting... creating a headache with all electronic ef lenses.

By the way, Zacuto and Canon both punted on the problem, which didn't make me happy. Esentially, they each said the problem was the other's fault. After Zacuto supplied a new mount and a rod-based lens support.... and tested their setup and claimed they had zero problems, they said that was all they could do. Canon, after receiving the camera and lens and determining that the mount was damaged... would only replace the original mount at no charge. Not wanting to repeat the problem again... Canon advised to upgrade to the newer, more robust, positive locking mount. But, of course, Canon wouldn't pay for it. So, I got shafted with a $1500 upgrade.

It all works great now. My feeling... the standard EF mount is weak and prone to inertial damage. Even if you think you have your lens locked down tight, I advise upgraded mounts and solid lens supports.
Scott Stoneback is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems