Tripod or IS? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 10th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #1
Major Player

Tripod or IS?

I've been trying to figure out which is better - a monopod, tripod and/or IS. I know for still photography if you mount an IS lens on a tripod you are suppose to turn off IS but a little confused about what to do with video and say a monopod. I've tried both but propably just need to do some tests.

Had been using a monopod with IS lens but it seemed to be a problem when i needed to lift and move the camera. Does a full tripod help to steady when adjusting zoom or focus better than handholding an IS lens.

I you do use a tripod/monopod, do you turn off IS on the lens?

TIA
Harry
Old August 10th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

When shooting video with this camera, you'll need to either turn IS off, or record sound from a separate source and not the on-camera mic. Otherwise, with IS on, the on-camera mic will pick up a steady clicking noise that will pretty much ruin your audio. The IS mechanism is louder on some lenses compared to others. With the kit lens, that is the 24-105mm L IS, it's a pretty loud and annoying clicking sound... you won't hear it so much yourself at the time, but you'll notice upon playback that the on-camera mic really picks it up and amplifies it to quite a degree. Frankly I would not shoot video with this camera unless it's on a tripod.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

IS effect on audio

Absolutely right, Chris. When I played back the first tests of my camera, I didn't know what those noisy clicks were. I was worried the camera was defective or a lens was lose.

You hear virtually nothing when shooting, but when it's played back, it renders the audio useless.
Greg Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 11:18 PM   #4
Inner Circle

As the other replies note, definitely turn off IS when on a tripod or monopod. However for hand held use the IS really helps a lot take the jitters out.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 06:18 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I did some tests a while back comparing the 24-70/2.8L (no IS) and the 24-105/4L (with IS) in video mode - and much much better handheld results - a lot smoother. Hand holding the 70-200 you definitely need the IS - works well with practice. I've also found a monopod with the 70-200 is helpful for carrying the weight around if you can't lug around a tripod.
cheers
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks for the responses. I use an external mic RODE SVN so the IS using the internal mic isn't the problem.

Taking the sound out should i turn off the IS if on a monopod (recommended for stills) or leave it on especially with the 70-200?

Harry
Old August 12th, 2009, 04:14 AM   #7
Regular Crew

from my limited experience... I leave the IS on with the 70-200 when using the monopod - switch it to setting '2' when on the tripod.
pb

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD